Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fourtrax's Range Report

Chris iliff

Practiced on Friday night but it was just not effective for me. Still having mag issues and did not get a lot of good work done. Did my transition drill and worked the time down a couple ticks. Wally World was out of Federal bulk .22, so I have been using Remington bulk pack and I think this is causing a lot of the problems with the Tacsol mags. I ran to a different Wally World last night and bought more Federal bulk .22's and I got home with just enough light to run each mag once. Guess what? Not one glitch.

The Remingtons are crappy in a side by side comparison to the Federals. The differences in appearance are readily apparent. The Remingtons are filthy and dirty on the outside of the round, Federals look brightly polished.

Warsaw match tomorrow, looking forward to having fun.

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot the Warsaw match today and I did have fun.

I am making a renewed committment to just shoot. This isn't rocket science. Shot one of the new 09 classifiers, Cracker Jack I think. Felt good @ 8.16 with 1 D. I can't remember if I had any C's or not. I am interested to see how this shakes out on the update as the classifier calculator doesn't have it yet.

I will start my practice with a passion this week. Going to Terre Haute for Coach's match next Sunday. It will be fun!

Edited to say: Down 3 on the classifier, 57pts. Third overall at the match.

Edited by fourtrax

Practiced for 300 rounds last night.

Did some one shot draws to a 10yard plate. Not a lot, about 15 or so. Consistently 1.05-1.15 seconds.

Did some El Presidente's and worked my time down into the mid 6's. This is slower than with my Gan's blaster and I think it has to do with the mag release. Mag release on the STI/Marvel is not extended and I really have to shift the gun quite a bit to get it. This really throws my timing and transistion back to T1 off.

Experimented with a common stage setup. A hallway that turns left and is open at the end. 4 targets, two visible after the left turn, 1 half visible and one that you have to stop at the fault line and lean a little to get behind the wall.

Set and shoot: I normally would do this. I would run to a spot that enabled me to get the hardest target then get the remaining ones as I backed out to the next shooting position. I ran this five times from a box and had an avg time of 4.65 seconds.

See and shoot: At the left turn start engaging the targets as I see them working my way forwrd to the sweet spot that lets me get the target behind the wall. After 5 runs my average time was 3.64.

CONTINUED:

The difference in average times is 1.01 seconds. This was an eye opener for me. Of course, I know that depending on target location and distance this could change. But, what I set up, I see fairly often within a stage. I know it is not written in stone, so to speak.

What prompted me was a stage at Warsaw that I lost 1 second on to another "A" open. I think he shot it as he saw it. This could help explain some of the time I've been giving up. Of course not all the time :surprise: ! I am confident that I can move as fast as anyone. I NEED TO LEARN TO BE MORE EFFICIENT IN MY MOVEMENTS.

POSITIVES: I shot the ol' 50 yard plate at 50 yards WH and hit that sucker 2 out of 5 times. 5 out of 5 is around the corner, I can actually see it!

I've been meaning to post that the ol' 50 yard plate is 12 and a 1/2".

Edited by fourtrax

CONTINUED:

The difference in average times is 1.01 seconds. This was an eye opener for me. Of course, I know that depending on target location and distance this could change. But, what I set up, I see fairly often within a stage. I know it is not written in stone, so to speak.

What prompted me was a stage at Warsaw that I lost 1 second on to another "A" open. I think he shot it as he saw it. This could help explain some of the time I've been giving up. Of course not all the time :surprise: ! I am confident that I can move as fast as anyone. I NEED TO LEARN TO BE MORE EFFICIENT IN MY MOVEMENTS.

POSITIVES: I shot the ol' 50 yard plate at 50 yards WH and hit that sucker 2 out of 5 times. 5 out of 5 is around the corner, I can actually see it!

Sometimes shooting them as they appear is the thing to do, and sometimes shooting them backing out is the thing to do. At least that is what I think at this point of my journey. If you have two arrays to shoot. Which way allows you to shoot the two arrays faster. I mean does backing out allow you to engage the second array faster or slower. Does any of this make sense?

CONTINUED:

Sometimes shooting them as they appear is the thing to do, and sometimes shooting them backing out is the thing to do. At least that is what I think at this point of my journey. If you have two arrays to shoot. Which way allows you to shoot the two arrays faster. I mean does backing out allow you to engage the second array faster or slower. Does any of this make sense?

Nope

Thanks Jake, that helps :sight:

Set up the standard El Presidente with my plates, put my barricade at 10 yards. Start with hand on barricade, shot each plate twice, reload, then each plate twice from the other side. I did this 10 times and managed to work my time down in ticks. I really don't like the reload drills because of not having the same mag release as on my Gan's. I don't want to burn in that shifting the gun that I have to do with the STI/MARVEL.

Did 1 shot draws hands relaxed at 7 yards, very low 1's, 1.03-1.08 or so.

Did the same with a surrender start, I am very happy with the progress of my surrender draw. Still a couple ticks slower than hands relaxed, but coming along.

I have discovered the benefit of slow motion execution. When I run a draw several times in slow motion I immediately gain a fraction when I go back to normal speed. I plan to incorporate the slow motion technique into my training more often.

Transitions: Set my plates up side by side about a yard or so apart(5 plates). Started aimed at the first plate and at the buzzer shot each plate once. I really liked this drill and worked it from the left and the right. I started above 2.10 seconds and worked that down to 1.65 as my best with most times between 1.75-1.85.

I didn't want to develope a cadence so I lowered the 2nd and 4th plate. This was a lot more difficult and took me more time. Zigging the gun up and down/left and right added about .30 seconds to my average time. FUN,FUN,FUN.

POSITIVES: 1.65s on 5 fairly wide spaced plates! VERY COOL TO ME!

Edited by fourtrax

Shot the match at WVPPS, very good and well run club down there in Terre Haute. The match had great stages and the round count was great. Thanks Coach.

I was counting on using this match as a tune up for the State next weekend. I got way to hyper on most stages. I have been either hyper or deliberate this whole year. I need to find that comfortable medium ground at about 90% of my maximum. I have been quick on the trigger and it is costing me valuable points.

I'll do some good practice this week and be ready for the State on Friday. I know it will come together for me if I keep practicing.

Practiced for 300rnds on Monday night. Did transitions. I think I could get addicted to this. I set up 5 plates and shot them left to right and vice versa. I staggered the height of the plates, high, low, high, low, then high. I did this the other day and could not break 2sec at 10yards. I did break well under 2 seconds on Monday and I felt really good

about that. This setup is fairly wide and the distance between the plates is 4 feet or more.

My range, like Atlanta's, is very wet. This limited my movement drills, which is what I had planned. I filled that time with one shot draws to the ol' 50 yard plate at 50 yards. I will get the times on this again. I also did this and then went to a twenty yard plate after the 50.

POSITIVES: Best on the transition drill was 1.65s. I loved the feeling of shooting exactly what I saw, when I saw it.

Movement drills, worked on staying the same height and not bobbing in/out of positions.

Surrender draw to the ol' 50 yard plate@50yards.

Hands relaxed draw to the ol' 50 yard plate@50yards.

Shot 275 rounds.

Box to box movement drills, I had fun doing this and learned some things. I am better lower, not real low, but a good bend to the knees. I crossover leaving a box and this is faster for me by several tenths. Drill was a plate at 15 yards directly in front of box, next box directly to the right 10 yards with a plate directly in front of it at 10 yards. 1 plate at 8 yards between the boxes. Start with gun aimed at first plate fire two, move to second box and shoot middle plate once, shoot 3rd plate from second box twice. 5 shots total. Fastest for me was two on plate, one on middle plate as leaving, and two on last plate entering. Worked this left to right and vice versa. Faster left to right by several tenths.

POSITIVES: Got a 1.60 draw and hit at 50yards hands relaxed at sides. Most were in the 1.65-1.85 range. Staying relaxed was the ticket for my best times on this.

Shot the match at WVPPS, very good and well run club down there in Terre Haute. The match had great stages and the round count was great. Thanks Coach.

I was counting on using this match as a tune up for the State next weekend. I got way to hyper on most stages. I have been either hyper or deliberate this whole year. I need to find that comfortable medium ground at about 90% of my maximum. I have been quick on the trigger and it is costing me valuable points.

I'll do some good practice this week and be ready for the State on Friday. I know it will come together for me if I keep practicing.

Glad you enjoyed the match. Thanks for coming down. I know it is a long trip. No one wanted tthe state match to be over with at this point more than I. The range is still flooded up there. I will see you all at Warsaw in July.

We are not doing a classifier in July at WVPPS and going with five field courses for a round count of 142 with only 2 pieces of steel. Just saying...

Did some movement drills and was really happy with this. Got myself a little lower and stayed there and of course my times were better.

Drill. Start in box move to barrels and engage 3 plates/2 rounds each at 10 yards while moving to next box and engage remaining plate at 10 yards. This was my way of starting to learn to roll thru positions better. I really liked it. I moved to the barrels at an angle and engaged the plates as they came in to view on the far side. I worked it left and right and managed to break under 6 secs and most runs. Funny, after several runs and not getting below 6 I started to analyze and made one little improvement after another. With each improvement my times dropped by ticks.

After each run I had two rounds in my magazine. This allowed me to shot the ol' 50 yard plate at 50 yards. I thought this was good as I was pumped and this made the dot hold a little more difficult. I did this for 240 rounds. Movement drill, 50 yard plate. The movement drill was 8 rounds.

The Misquitos are so bad it was a constant slap fest.

POSITIVES: I felt good and when I was close to done I stepped back to 65 or 70 yards and dinged the plate with my remaining round.

are these 200-300 round practices you are having all with your rimfire conversion? I finalyl got around to usingmy AR15 conversion and loved it. I think I may have to get one of these for my single Stack pistol now as well, haha. Im going to try to make the Warsaw match this month, so hopefully Ill see ya there!

We are not doing a classifier in July at WVPPS and going with five field courses for a round count of 142 with only 2 pieces of steel. Just saying...

Only 2 steel !!! I put enough out for both of are match's !!!! Last month we had 2 stars in a row , Maybe 3 this month !!! :devil: . Gavin is setting up a big stage that he's been kicking for around .

WVPPC put on great match on a hot day !!! I will be at the ICORE match at Bend of the River in July shooting revolver. Hope to get down there again later this year.

Brent

Corey, All my practice is with the STI/Marvel racegun .22. Just couldn't afford to do it with the Gan's super blaster.

Brent, I was thinking the same thing after Coach's post, WTF only 2 steel? But, it is tempting to go again, isn't it?

I have been working 10 and 12 hour days and have not been able to practice as much as I want and need too.

Shot the Porter match today and it was as hot as an oven, even in the shade. Not sure how I did yet, I'm guessing top 5, but we'll see. I was asked by the MD (Bill Zeller) to RO. So I ended up in the sun a lot. I was so happy to be done. By the last stage I was a little fluttery.

The stages at Porter are awesome and worth the heat though, 4 really good field courses. I am seeing some improvements in rolling through positions, but I am thinking while shooting and that is not going to cut it long term. I will continue to work on this until it is completely subconscious.

Good day overall.

POSITIVES: My good friend went to the Angola match and came home with a smoking deal on an STI .40, 4 mags w/dawson pads, and a Safariland holster. Gun is tight as new, get this............$1,400. I'm jealous, to say the least, but very happy for him.

I have been working 10 and 12 hour days and have not been able to practice as much as I want and need too.

Shot the Porter match today and it was as hot as an oven, even in the shade. Not sure how I did yet, I'm guessing top 5, but we'll see. I was asked by the MD (Bill Zeller) to RO. So I ended up in the sun a lot. I was so happy to be done. By the last stage I was a little fluttery.

The stages at Porter are awesome and worth the heat though, 4 really good field courses. I am seeing some improvements in rolling through positions, but I am thinking while shooting and that is not going to cut it long term. I will continue to work on this until it is completely subconscious.

Good day overall.

POSITIVES: My good friend went to the Angola match and came home with a smoking deal on an STI .40, 4 mags w/dawson pads, and a Safariland holster. Gun is tight as new, get this............$1,400. I'm jealous, to say the least, but very happy for him.

who bought that STI? im glad itr sold so i wasnt tempted anymore. Angola match was decent today. Hoping to make the warsaw match next week.

Corey, it is a guy I grew up with and finally talked into shooting matches this year. His name is Mike and you have met him before, he has been shooting SS. Up at Bend I introduced him to you at a winter league match and we talked about your rig and setup a little, I think January or February.

Hey, I forgot to mention to you that at Terre Haute a guy mistook me for you because we have the same style Enos shirt. I can't remember his name, but he was a nice guy.

Corey, be at the Warsaw match and I'll try to remember to bring my practice targets you wanted to know about awhile back.

Edited by fourtrax

Ended up 4th overall at Porter, 5th, but Metts shot limited on Saturday and Open on Sunday. He beat me with both guns, so he is in the top 5 twice. Looking at the points, I'm giving up way too many. I will work on points at the Warsaw match next Sunday. I'm also taking way too many make up shots on steel. I know this is costing me time. Need to work on visual patience.

My nephew, Bryar, is coming along just fine and beat me on a stage or two. He'll be a B class in no time I think.

Positives: Last stage(4) had a really cool push open window which activated a crazy fast drop turner, a pop up/down dissappearing target and a static paper. I knew the key was to engage the drop turner first, then the up/down, then the static. So I started on d/t in the middle, went to the right for up/down, and finished on the static. I was the only one in my squad to get 6 A's on the array. I saw every shot. I can shoot A's, I will make this my priority.

Edited by fourtrax

Practiced once last week and it was not for very long. Shot about 250 rnds and some at the ol' 50 yard plate.

Had a long weekend with a big party and trebuchet contest on Saturday. I built a trebuchet and it was awesome. My nephew and Dad built one together and theirs was neat too. He could get me on distance with a baseball, but with a little bigger and heavier bochi ball I'd get him by 15 feet or so. We called it a draw. My counter weight was lighter than his but my arm was longer.

Shot Warsaw on Sunday with my friend that drove up from Tennessee and my brother in law from Oregon. It was a great match. The Warsaw match always is. Had trouble on stage 3 with some activators and poor RVB shot the dang thing 5 times before everything worked. I ended up 5th overall and I am happy but still need to work on the points. I think there were 5 or 6 masters there in various divisions. I hope they come back.

With a big family thing planned and a friend that was facing an 8 hour drive, we did the shoot and scoot thing. I felt bad about that but I called Brent and he said not to worry about it. I worry anyway.

POSITIVES: Learned to never again think too long about two different stage plans for one stage. On stage one actually blended two plans in the heat of shooting and probably cost me several seconds. I actually did a reload from plan two after already reloading while running plan 1. Plus I thought I had shot a target because I finished with plan 2 in my head and in plan 2 that target was shot sooner. Unfortunately, I settled on plan 1 a bit late which meant I did not engage that target. Basically FUBAR'd.

Corey, All my practice is with the STI/Marvel racegun .22. Just couldn't afford to do it with the Gan's super blaster.

Brent, I was thinking the same thing after Coach's post, WTF only 2 steel? But, it is tempting to go again, isn't it?

Sorry it is four steel. A bunch of my steel is up at ACC on stand by for the state match. I can challenge people with paper.

Hey Coach, you know we are ribbing you! I'll see if I can talk the guys into the drive again, but no promises. You have great stages and that is worth a drive.

Four seems like a lot. I know it is a drive. If you can we would love to have you. If not I understand. Warsaw was great last time. I will see you at state if not before.

Don't know what I did but my back is out! Got to work yesterday with a nagging little tight feeling low and right just off my spine. After several hours it just kept getting tighter. By 9am, I knew I was in trouble. I managed to hobble to the chiropractor at 11am and had a massage at 8pm. Today I am as sore as I can be. I really wanted to blast away some good practice this weekend and hit the Ft. Wayne match, but that is not going to be possible. I'm sitting on a bag of frozen peas and hoping for the best.

Got the state match on Friday and I'm hoping for the best. This sucks!!!! :angry2:

Don't know what I did but my back is out! Got to work yesterday with a nagging little tight feeling low and right just off my spine. After several hours it just kept getting tighter. By 9am, I knew I was in trouble. I managed to hobble to the chiropractor at 11am and had a massage at 8pm. Today I am as sore as I can be. I really wanted to blast away some good practice this weekend and hit the Ft. Wayne match, but that is not going to be possible. I'm sitting on a bag of frozen peas and hoping for the best.

Got the state match on Friday and I'm hoping for the best. This sucks!!!! :angry2:

Bummer! Hope you are well by the match (actually, the sooner the better)...

-rvb