Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken Pistons - FN SLP - Has It Happened To You?

jnewell

I have no idea if there will be future problems. Taking a chance. Not sure why the factory chose the springs instead of this design. Seems like there is always someone out there with another idea on how to make things work.

Not too sure if the factory had 3-gun abuse in mind when they designed the FN-Winchester line. My shotgun is a Flanigun SX-3 and started out more as a trap and skeet gun. That type of shooting is way less intense and way less shells at one time then a 30 round 3-gun stage. Same with the SLP. It is for police use. My guess is the average shooter does not have this problem as Orphanedcowboy attests to. Just my theory.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea if there will be future problems. Taking a chance. Not sure why the factory chose the springs instead of this design. Seems like there is always someone out there with another idea on how to make things work.

Not too sure if the factory had 3-gun abuse in mind when they designed the FN-Winchester line. My shotgun is a Flanigun SX-3 and started out more as a trap and skeet gun. That type of shooting is way less intense and way less shells at one time then a 30 round 3-gun stage. Same with the SLP. It is for police use. My guess is the average shooter does not have this problem as Orphanedcowboy attests to. Just my theory.

I have an SX-2 and a Maxus that have the Sure Cycle systems and SRM sealed pistons. The Maxus has over 9500 rds thru it and the SX-2 has probably around 2500, from 1 1/8oz target loads to 1 1/4oz 3" steel loads and neither has shown any ill effects of the process, they do however toss empties about 10-12yds.

Here is the side by side between two of my Maxus' to show the actual differences between the factory and aftermarket parts:

Piston:

Factory

CIMG0426.JPG

Sealed

CIMG0414.JPG

Action Spring and Tube:

CIMG0423.JPG

Plunger:

CIMG0424.JPG

The action spring and plunger are the same parts that fit the SLP if you are interested.

I sealed the pistons on a few of my main duck guns, but the majority have not been sealed and have yet to have a failure. I only sealed the ones that I hunt with and traveling over 4hrs to hunt would suck if I suffered a broken gun.

Edited by Orphanedcowboy

• 4 weeks later...

Change my vote from a "nay" to a "yea". I cleaned my fairly low-mileage SLP today and found the spring was broken in two places, although it's still running perfectly. Now I have to decide if I want to get it fixed or just go ahead and have it sealed. Any new options out there?

Edited by Red_SC

• 2 months later...

Broken SX2 piston spring here, just sent it off to have it sealed by SRM. The gun was running 100% so I'm really not sure when it broke. How about an update on your sealed pistons, are they still working??

• 1 month later...

Nothing that I have seen or felt.

We were at the trap range the other day and I shot a variety of shells from Remington club loads, that my SX3 would not cycle even with the light piston, to cheapie Walmart Winchester and Federals, to good Winchester AA's. All shot and ejected perfect. It was a great investment in having the piston sealed.

gerritm