Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm / 95 grain JSP?

huck99

I normally shoot plain old, store-bought 115 grain 9mm, which is getting hard to find around here. I recently saw "9mm luger 95 grain Jacketed Soft Point" for sale. Would this ammo be better, worse, or about the same for USPSA. And as you might guess, I'm a real novice at this. Just started.

I use the Zero JSP for Steel Challenge in my open gun and revolvers = you can push it fast and still not get cuts from the splater on the steel.

I don't load 9mm , but in 38 super it does fine

It should not be loaded to make close to major = just too fast for the "Safe and Sain" rule

The shoot fine with Tight Group and hog Universal and 7625 powders

JF

Thanks for the response, Alamo. I'm tempted to try it. I'm shooting a production Glock-34 and I wonder if that light load will rack that long slide. I may buy a few and try it out.

What about poppers, will they fall?

A.T.

If you are not shooting an Open gun, or even if your are shooting an open gun try the 124gr Montana golds in RN or JHP easy to find and get and reasonalby priced. I shoot Zero 125's JHP in my 9 Major and 38Super Comp open guns, and the same bullets in my 9 MM SVI limited and CZ75 B for production. In a non Comped gun you will find the heavier bullet less violent in recoil and flip. ( I shoot MTG when I can't get the Zeros which has been often lately).

Open guys shoot the 95gr for steel most just leave their load the same so the comp works the same and a little less recoil because of the lighter bullet. In a non compled gun you will need to crank in more powder to make power factor.

If you are shooting a gun that can handle CAST or Moly bullets I found the BayouBullet to be slightly superior to most and very clean http://www.bayoubullets.net. I shot some in my open gun at 1401fps with no tumbling and no leading in the barrely or comp. Second coice is Precison bullets. In my 9 mm SVI with the 125gr I ran 3.8gr of N320 and it shot like a 22 and still hit 128pf.

Precision Delta makes a good bullet and they are very competitive when you purchase 6 to 10K at a time, not sure what delivery is like right now.

115gr have trouble knocking down poppers this problem will on be worse with a 95gr unless you pump it up to 135pf or more, then it is liable to be a bit snappy.

Hello: If you are loading the 95 grain for 9mm use an overall length of 1.100" I use the 95 grain bullets for shooting steel in my open 9mm. For your Glock 34 I use 121 grain Montana Golds and 147 grain Precision Moly's both in a stock barrel. I clean the pistol after every outing. I am liking the 121's right now but may even try the 115 JHP Montana Golds. I like the pistol to be a bit snappy so I can get on target faster for me. If you order some Montana Golds get them from Manny USA a sight sponser here and a really nice guy :cheers: It is better if you can get a few friends in on a bulk buy or just order alot of bullets and shoot them up :roflol: Thanks, Eric

I dont believe the guy is loading anything, he's buying factory ammo,

At the same power factor generally lighter bullets recoil a little more than heavier bullets. No way of knowing what kinda of load your 95 gr ammo is without knowing the powder charge or velocity. If it is loaded to sammi spec you might have some issues with steel poppers. Seriously if you are not reloading you should look at one of the bulk loaders and mail order a case or so at a time from someone like Atlanta arms or Precision Delta, You'll go broke buying a box at a time from local stores.

You guys answered my question. Thanks.

I may have posted this in the wrong forum. The forum's name is "General Reloading & Load Data" and, while it wasn't about reloading, it was about a certain load, so it appeared to fit somewhat.

I do plan to load my own someday. Me and a buddy are going in on equipment together.

Thanks, again.

Hello: If you are loading the 95 grain for 9mm use an overall length of 1.100" I use the 95 grain bullets for shooting steel in my open 9mm. For your Glock 34 I use 121 grain Montana Golds and 147 grain Precision Moly's both in a stock barrel. I clean the pistol after every outing. I am liking the 121's right now but may even try the 115 JHP Montana Golds. I like the pistol to be a bit snappy so I can get on target faster for me. If you order some Montana Golds get them from Manny USA a sight sponser here and a really nice guy :cheers: It is better if you can get a few friends in on a bulk buy or just order alot of bullets and shoot them up :roflol: Thanks, Eric

Aircooled, which 95gr are you using? Do you have any load data to share? Are you shooting a shorty or full size? Thanks...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Be nice to see a little load data for the 95 gr. 9mm bullet in an open gun on steel... I'm thinking about trying some for the heck of it :)

Here's some data I have for 95 grain Montana Gold FMJ, one load shot in a 4.15" Match Master and the other in a 5.5" Trubor.

These loads undoubtedly exceed SAAMI maximum pressures by quite a bit. Use at your own risk.

OAL Wt Mfg Type BBL Length Primer Powder Chg Avg: AvPF S.D.: E.S.: HiPF LoPF Temp

1.110 95 MG FMJ 4.15 MM WSP Silhouette 8.3 1478 140 13 43 142 138 75

1.125 95 MG FMJ 5.5 Trubor CCI SR HS-6 8.4 1424 135 19 36 137 133 95

1.130 95 MG FMJ 5.5 Trubor CCI SR Silhouette 8.4 1511 143 11 26 144 142 95

1.110 95 MG FMJ 5.5 Trubor Fed SR Silhouette 8.4 1521 144 7 24 145 143 85

1.130 95 MG FMJ 5.5 Trubor CCI SR Silhouette 8.6 1531 145 11 25 146 144 95

1.130 95 MG FMJ 5.5 Trubor CCI SR Silhouette 8.8 1557 147 15 29 149 146 95

1.115 95 MG FMJ 5.5 Trubor CCI SR True Blue 8.6 1532 145 16 43 147 143 95

• 2 years later...