Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starship Troopers

James Cameron should redo that movie BY THE BOOK with the killer CG and extraterrestrial ladnscapes to boot. (Bug hunts and Skinnies) The idea of how the switching in the suits, the "bounding" and the nuclear warfare woudl jsut be the greatest eye-candy that the current movie misses all over the place.

I loved the book. I hated the movie. :angry2:

I loved the book. I hated the movie. :angry2:

MASH

DUNE

STARSHIP TROOPERS

The three that come to mind first where the book was much better than the movie.

LORD OF THE RINGS. The only one I can think of right now where I loved the book AND the movie.

"Fleet does the Flying, MI does the dieing."

Sorry But this movie is great ! If nothing else for the great one liners, best of all My last few years in the Army none of the young troops had ever heard of the movie so when I used lines they though it was me making it up,

Things like,

"Come on you apes you wanna live forever!"

"Everybody fights, If you dont fight I'll kill you myself"

Starship Troopers the book was great. If you're a Heinlein fan - and I am - Starship Troopers was interesting on a couple of levels. For one, it really was Heinlein's transitional novel between the juveniles he'd written before and the adult novels to come. The book can be enjoyed on several levels; on the surface it's a cracking good battle yarn of the Space Marines, but underneath that it's really a meditation on political systems. Good stuff.

Watching Aliens in the theater, there was absolutely no doubt in my mind that Jame Cameron had read - and loved - Starship Troopers. The Space Marines, the drop ships, it all came straight out of that novel. I've since learned that I was right, Cameron gave the actors on Aliens copied of Starship Troopers and told them to read it.

Starship Troopers the movie sucked - just a horrible, horrible betrayal of Heinlein's vision.

A lot of good books would be nearly impossible to make into a movie without significant changes. Starship Troopers is a case in point. I wish that they had changed the title and dropped all pretense that it was "based on the book".

That said, the movie was what it was, and on it's own level, for what it was, it was a fun movie (as opposed to being a good movie). That's my rather embarrassed long winded way of saying that I have watched it more than once and rather enjoy it for what it is.

As to the comment about Blade Runner being better than the book, it's really apples and oranges. Philip K Dick is included in the list of 100 great novels of the 20th Century and is the only SciFi writer included in the "Library of America". That said, his books can be rather deep and even somewhat pedantic (not unlike Heinlein and Clarke). It's rather ironic therefor, that the final version of the movie is more true to the original screenplay, which spent more time on the core issue of the book ("what is it to be human"), than the original release which the director, and subsequently the producers, had mucked around with too much. Just going to prove that less is often more. And, FWIW, Philip K Dick eventually came to appreciate what was done, famously telling Ridley Scott that the look of the city was exactly what he had in mind.

A little bit of trivia:

The actor who played the drill instructor and later captured the smart bug is now the voice of Krusty Krab in Spongebob.

Clancy Brown, he's a great actor. From "Kurgan" in Highlander to the voice of Krusty Crab....What happened? :roflol:

Plus I went to junior high school with Dina Meyer who played Dizzy.

I really liked the character of Dizzy. Dina Meyer was definitely the best thing in the movie. Actually, Dina Meyer is usually the best thing in any movie she's in.