Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home made Texas Star

• 1 month later...

Star update: After several thousand rounds expended on (and several more thousand expended as misses! :rolleyes: ), the star is holding up well. No weld breaks, no problems with the bearing, no problems with the plates. Even the clamps, once I re-inforced them with the flat iron seem to be holding up quite well.

• 6 months later...

That is awesome.

If you are concerned about the arms getting shot or making it more portable you could change how the arms mount to the center hub. If you put the equivalent of a receiver hitch on the hub for each arm, slide the arms in, and secure them with a bolt/bolts then you can break it down for transport and have a replacement if one gets damaged.

Did you have to make one arm of the star heavier then the others and ten set the heavier arm above center to get to start spinning?

I hope this question makes sense. I have never seen a star in person to know and I would love to build one.

Thanks

Lee

Did you have to make one arm of the star heavier then the others and ten set the heavier arm above center to get to start spinning?

I hope this question makes sense. I have never seen a star in person to know and I would love to build one.

Thanks

Lee

See this post.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106158&view=findpost&p=1211923

There is an activator plate, which then swings out when you hit it, and one of the arms has a drop away weight hanging on it.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So how many years did the epoxy hold up?

You likely have it already figured out by now but I forgot why I uploaded the photos of the counter rotating part until now.

On this one I used A different style pillow block that the one I posted on the other page. With them mounted on channel iron, I just flipped the back half upside down and the spacing was perfect for the gears I used.

I don't know what they came out of, maybe an old transmission.?

funstar2.jpg

funstar3.jpg

funstar1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So how many years did the epoxy hold up?

You likely have it already figured out by now but I forgot why I uploaded the photos of the counter rotating part until now.

On this one I used A different style pillow block that the one I posted on the other page. With them mounted on channel iron, I just flipped the back half upside down and the spacing was perfect for the gears I used.

I don't know what they came out of, maybe an old transmission.?funstar2.jpgfunstar3.jpgfunstar1.jpg

The epoxy is still holding up, although I did add a second bearing to help stabilize it. The clamps are still working, but I've had to beef them up by adding 1/2" flat bar to them. When they finally quit, I'll build some different ones.

Welding steel = bad! No temper, no spring... I used a flat peice of steel with a through bolt and a coil spring to retain tension on the bottom of the plate. (the plate slips between the arm and that flat piece.) Also put a bolt in the bottom to keep the plates from "volunteering" when a plate falls and hits the arm. The bolt acts as an indexing pin. Works great! I have 2 stars and a polish plate rack and all work just fine...

• 9 months later...

I was wondering how you indexed the plates on the star using those clamps. Nice design. I was worried about the clamps holding the plates of someone really got the rack spinning or about them popping with hits on the arm. I worked the steel stage at Area 6 (was stage 4 and had to be thrown out). The star and plate rack used what I think were screen door spring hinges that were not up to the task of handling that many shooters. We also had issues of hits near the plate but on the bar causing the hinge to pop (one person had 3 reshoots due to that). Yours looks like a good design!

• 8 months later...