Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Would You Rather? Svi Or Sti?

Just curious which gun you would prefer to own. Would you rather an STI that you can get right away and about $1000 less than an SVI or would you rather an SVI that you can have built EXACTLY how you want but cost $1000 more? I opted for the SV because I loved the idea that they build the gun exactly how I wanted it but having to wait a few months did kinda suck.

Which would you rather?

I think I'd probably opt for the cheaper gun now. My rationale is that I'm sure I could pick out what looks the prettiest or coolest now, but I don't really know exactly what I want--the things that make the gun perform the best for me.

I'm likely to identify those things by shooting, and get them tweaked by a gunsmith, so that my gun would become exactly what I want later on. $1000 would cover a lot of experimentation.

That said, I bet your SVI will be sweeeeeeet when you get it. :wub:

DogmaDog

Pete,

I did and will go SV again for my next pistol but challenge the $1,000 extra figure. I do not think that there is that much difference for comparable guns. If you "load up" your SV and compare it to a base STI maybe but you can also order a "base" SV too. The difference just should not be nearly that much.

Leo

Pete,

I just checked a dealer for both STI & SV and the difference between an STI "Edge" and an extended dust cover SV was less than $250, and the STI guns are "on sale". There is a difference but it is not that large of a difference.

Leo

STI or SVI, six of one 1/2 dozen of the other.SV may be a little nicer(pretter) but won't shoot a bit better and will cost more and take longer to get. 2500.00 bucks? I've got less than that in my Bennie Hill 6in(STI) and I promise you its EXACTLY what I want right down to the last oz of trigger pull, my choice of mag well, safteys,sights ect,and hard chrome to boot. Support your local pistol smith, he plays your game. Larry

You can DROS in anything (less "assault weapons") into the state as someone moving to the state.

Before March of this year, I lived in Kansas City for almost 2 years. While there, I acquired a couple of STI frames. When you move to CA, you declare them to DOJ ($15/gun or frame) and then about 60-120 days later you get a letter saying everything is hunky dorey.

Frames are legal for "importation" (for lack of a better description) into California, if you are moving from another state into CA. CA-DOJ considers them firearms (meaning on your declaration form, give a generic barrel length, caliber and finish). When you do private party transfers and the "safety test" needs to be conducted, obviously you cannot do that on a frame. CA-DOJ says to use a like firearm (i.e. a 1911). This is totally acceptable. The logic? If you are a collector and you buy an original 18/1900 & whatever Colt Single Action Army, you're not going to want to spin the cylinder, open the gate or dry fire it. Using a like firearm (i.e. a Vaquero) is totally acceptable and in compliance with the law.

Whew. Hopefully that was long enough and drawn out enough.

I sent Bob my frame and while he had it I actually moved. I DROS'ed into the state while he was working on it, thus making it legal for posession in the state. When he was done, he sent it directly to me (i.e. not to an intermediate FFL). Again, totally legal.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) the move (along with another project rifle that I'm working on) has made me painfully aware of the laws and hoops for my beloved state (yes I like it here. 13 days on the mountain snowboarding already!).

Rich

STI or SV, it doesn't matter if you have someone who KNOWS what he's doing when he builds the gun. Almost anyone can build a pistol, but very few can build it right.

I've used STI for a long time and have had zero problems with mine. Both factory pistols and custom built. I've stayed away from SV simply because too many people seem to have problems with them.

Benny is the only one these days I buy from.