Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Alpha Race Master Holster Review

nhglyn

I have used mine for the last 5 matches both steel and USPSA shooting in Limited. This is the first Race type holster I have used(used to use BT DOH) and it is easy to set up. The gun comes out like butter on the draw and the retention of the holster with it unlocked on sitting starts is no problem! :cheers:

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just received mine and wish I could say I was pleased. Don't know if it defective or not, but I can not get my STI past the lock to engage the pistol. How hard

can it be to push the triggerguard to engage. Plastic against the aluminum with that much force can not last very long? Is it defective?

• 2 weeks later...

50/50 happy with mine.

They did warn me about the fitting for Glocks, and mine is very tight. (new Glock 17 Gen 4).

So I got an instruction with a picture, but for €300 I don't expect to start to do the mods when I get the holster. :(

Good support, but I had wished I hadn't needed it.

Still haven't modified it, have no time and no interest :(

Got one. Pretty darned impressed. I didn't need to adjust it much, just the cant, height, and distance from my hip. It's feeling when locked is superior to the Ghost and even when unlocked it is still going to take a pretty good hit to knock it out. I have no idea how it retains the gun as well in the unlocked position yet draws as quickly as it does. Also, perhaps a small thing but in an era when you either get no wrenches or at best flimsy ones with a product Saul includes top quality wrenches to install and adjust the holster. Yes, I already have nice ones but something like that always impresses me.

I probably should have just posted the link to my other post on this holster, but hey, it's Sunday morning, I'm half-assed watching football and I have a vacation day tomorrow :)

Fitting observations:

1/ Both inserts (a 1911 and an STI) required a little fitting with a needle file to get the holster to fully accept each trigger guard. In the case of the 1911, I removed a little material from the insert slide lock. For the STI, I removed material from the polymer grip.

2/ For both inserts, the width of the opening required widening to fit the width of each trigger guard, again going slowly with needle files. On my inserts, the opening measured .357" and my trigger guards are .365" (1911) and .362 (STI) so while I could force the gun into the holster, the release was far from resistance free.

3/ For both inserts, the channel for the external activation lever required attention because the "lever" was riding agaist one side of the channel.

Use and operation:

1/ As with any holster with this many adjustments, it takes a little while to get it dialed in. Dry fire, re-position, dry fire, preposition, rinse, repeat....

2/ I miss having a thigh pad like on the Limcat that I was using. The end of the support arm digs into my thigh especially with the weight of the gun in the holster. I have not yet tried the known fix of putting a slight bend inthe support arm.

Other:

I have yet to use the holster in live fire but I have now spent a fair amount of time dry firing. Once fitted and adjusted, the release is clean and consistent. I've noticed that I've accumulated a few nicks on the aluminum holster body just from dry fire. I'd guess this is to be expected with a steel trigger guard vs. aluminum holster body.

Overall, I like it. Should one have to spend so much time with needle files on a $200 holster? I guess that's debatable but I'm attributing the need to fit to production variances on my guns. However, spending the time doing so, I now fully understand the design of the holster and much like the knowledge one gains figuring out one's gun, I'd say that this can only be a benefit, if not now then furhter down the road.

Got mine today. Went out in the -3 deg. F. and tried it, and again when it warmed up to +14.

I was really impressed.

You have to make sure the Insert Slide Lock is in the correct position to secure the gun ( otherwise it acts suspiciously just like the issues others have had with the holster), but it is very secure when in place.

It is very fast and ultra smooth. We will see how it holds up.

So far, I would buy it again.

Wg

Hi JL,

just small things, more related to streamlining production and assembly than function on the range, that has not changed much from the first samples...

We continue to improve the product as we go - and several small refinements have been made during the past year to keep improving it, many based on customer feedback on this forum and others. we just got in a new production of parts, which include many small improvements, for instance:

1. the new safeties will prevent much of the movement up which was still possible when safety was on in earlier models.

2. the ball joint socket has been modified to allow more range of movement downwards - almost an extra full inch, and that without lengthening the rod at all.

3. the tension screw head has been made a little smaller, and the OAL a little longer, so it is less lightly to come out even when left loose

4. a bunch of small refinements to make assembly easier and faster.

Great to read all the positive reviews - thanks for that,

saul

Saul,

Is it possible to upgrade the ball socket on my current holster or do you have to buy all new ?

I am making the switch from a Bladetech DOH to the RM, I'm just getting into IPSC from rifle, so my comments aren't worth much. I have the left handed model, works great, setup went fine, no issues using it with my STI 2011. I like the fact that I can use it with my carry STI VIP also, just makes practice in the basement with the .22 upper nice with both guns. The reason I switched to the RM was to get a little more room for my thumb to ride on top of the safety while the gun was holstered. From the dry fire I can tell it works better, my draws seem smoother, and the gun is very secure both locked and unlocked. I'm glad I made the switch sooner rather than waiting.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my Race Master in last night and I'm very impressed :D I've been using a Ghost holster for the past year and I can honestly say the RM is superior. I had no trouble attaching it to my CR Speed belt -- just dropped right in. The setup was easy. My STI Steelmaster fit perfect. Didn't have to do any mods to make it work. Did some dry-fire drills and couldn't believe how smooth the gun came out and went back in, yet was absolutely rock solid. The locking lever is a little different than what I was used to with the Ghost holster, but I don't see it being a problem. I may try to replace the lever with one that doesn't have serrations. Other than that, this holster is a Grand Freaking Slam :bow::wub:

Been using mine for 6 months now (STI) and have not had any problems with it. Tension screw and adjustments all stay where they were put. Draws are still smooth and retention is secure. I am looking at getting a 1911 block so i can use it with my Para back up.

I got mine last week and have been very happy with it over my ghost. It has a lot of adjustment, but my only complaint is the height adjustment, I wish it would go a little lower. It is very smooth and keeps the gun very stable even when unlocked. I was able to take 2 tenths off my draw because it gives me the same grip every draw. I was having problems with my ghost because the gun could move some much back and forth in the holster, but all that is gone with the RM. I shoot my fist match in a week with it, and I am really looking forward to it.. All in all a great holster.. :D

I got one to try but sent it back. As a lefty it was not truly mirror image and was hard to work the release and get it dialed in. I could not get it to cooperate well with an aluminum STI grip but I'm sure minor fitting would have done it. If they move to redesign it for a lefty as necessary I would try it again.

The only issue at all I had as a lefty was due to the way I was doing my draw. I tend to roll my hand over the backstrap rather than doing a straight up and down. When I did this with the RM my middle finger would occasionally flip the locking lever down during the draw and give me a RM wedgie. Changed my draw stroke just a bit and all is good. Still love mine after a couple months of use.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my Race Master in last night and I'm very impressed :D I've been using a Ghost holster for the past year and I can honestly say the RM is superior. I had no trouble attaching it to my CR Speed belt -- just dropped right in. The setup was easy. My STI Steelmaster fit perfect. Didn't have to do any mods to make it work. Did some dry-fire drills and couldn't believe how smooth the gun came out and went back in, yet was absolutely rock solid. The locking lever is a little different than what I was used to with the Ghost holster, but I don't see it being a problem. I may try to replace the lever with one that doesn't have serrations. Other than that, this holster is a Grand Freaking Slam :bow::wub:

UPDATE: I used the Dremel tool to grind off the serrations on the locking lever. Made it flush with the back of the holster and rounded off the edges. Now I don't notice the lever at all when drawing. I've shot a match and several practice sessions with the holster now and still really love it :blush:

• 1 month later...

I just picked one of these up a week ago. I think this holster is da bomb! I switched from a Ghost holster to this holster.

I like the idea of the RM being 1" longer than the Ghost so it gives more surface area for my 6" and open pistol to rest. I love the way it locks in, yet (as many others have said) just slips out when you draw it. It is really quick.

The serrated lock lever doesn't seem to bother me at all. My hand doesn't come anywhere near that lever. It also is not effected by the tension knob on the side of the holster either.

I note on the weight of the holster: RM came in at 9.94oz and the Ghost came in at 9.65oz so the difference is slight.

I think Saul has a very good product on his hands and I suspect he will sell a ton of these holsters.

just got mine.

used it for practice last week.

three comments.

mine was ordered as red but it looks more burnt orange.

the two screws for holding the ball kept getting loose during practice. Quite embarrassing on the line.

I locktite the screws, so we'll see what happens this wknd.

I love the lockup. Guys at the club were definitely admiring the new rig.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine will be here in a week! I can't wait to try it out. I see DAA has RM pouches coming soon. Hopefully Saul will give us a heads up on what to expect out of them :)

Updates are coming soon - stay tuned on doublealpha.biz :)

Should be shipping in early May.

Thanks,

Eli.