Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

B initial classification - mixed feelings.

I classed into C. I would be thrilled to class at B. At my age I'll be shocked if I ever make it to the top of B, we'll have to see.

But would you really like to be in C when you know you are a B class shooter? I doubt that you would get much satisfaction out of beating the C class guys match after match when you know you are SUPPOSED to be beating them. If you aren't honest with yourself, you're cheating yourself. That's how I look at it.

That"If you aren't honest with yourself, you're cheating yourself" door swings both ways

2. Man, it sure would be easier to win top C than top B. I should have sandbagged!

Congrats on the B card. B's are just inconsistent A's.

You need to hurry up and make A class, smaller bucket at big matches, better chance to place. B and C are big buckets.

2. Man, it sure would be easier to win top C than top B. I should have sandbagged!

You need to hurry up and make A class, smaller bucket at big matches, better chance to place. B and C are big buckets.

Then hurry to make GM because it is the smallest bucket, better chance to place there...

i just made it to the B land in SS a month or so ago....right before the IN sectional match. I was kind of hoping to shoot the match as a C instead b/c I didnt feel i was consistant enough to shoot as a B yet. Ended up 3rd B so i was happy. just put your mind to it and you can compete in whatever your skills land you in.

(and yes, I would have won C class had i not been bumped!)

Where do you get this stuff????????? I'm a B. I'm not an inconsistent A. I'm a B. I shot my very first A classifier EVER yesterday. It felt good, I've been practicing and I wasn't out of control. But I usually shoot a CONSISTENT 65%. I don't suddenly get a bluebird A... I get a nasty C.

And as for placing.... there's only one winner. Everyone else is graded on a curve.

Huh? Just because the field is smaller you have a better chance to place? Maybe at a local match or smaller sectional with a weak field. 2009 Open Nationals:

First M, 8th = 92%

First A, 30th = 82%

First B, 65th = 76%

First C, 155th = 65%

I don't know about anybody else, but I'd call those pretty huge jumps in performance and it's a heck of a lot harder to finish 30th at Nationals than 65th!

It's looking like my initial classificaton in limited is going to be a B.

On one hand, I'm happy about it. Happy that I have been able to pick up on the sport quickly and shoot well enough to earn a B to start.

On the other hand, I'm concerned that at major matches I may have trouble finishing near the top of limited B shooters.

I guess I could have sandbagged classifiers, but that's just not how I "roll".

I suppose I can look at it one of two ways:

1. I earned the B. Now it's time to man up and get good enough to beat the rest of the B's and eventually get an A card and then start it all over again.

I think we all know that #1 is the better outlook.

Sorry for the rant!

I am sure you didn't start out a B when you bought your first gun.

You have been shooting a while at something and worked your way up thru practice.

This is just your first test.

Now you decided to compete and this is the starting line.

Congrats on the B, you earned it through hard work and practice.

Huh? Just because the field is smaller you have a better chance to place? Maybe at a local match or smaller sectional with a weak field. 2009 Open Nationals:

First M, 8th = 92%

First A, 30th = 82%

First B, 65th = 76%

First C, 155th = 65%

I don't know about anybody else, but I'd call those pretty huge jumps in performance and it's a heck of a lot harder to finish 30th at Nationals than 65th!

G-man it was satire aka a bit of humor. But being an old debater, I would point to the math, the smallest jump is between B and A only 6% all other classes have a higher spread.

The bottom line is if he works hard to make A he will be a better B and a better shooter which will produce better results.

i don't think to many of the really good B class shooters are sandbaggers. they're just hot shooters on the way up. a bunch of years ago a new B shooter made top ten at the A5 match, with in a year or so he was a GM. some times the classifiers can't keep up with a new shooter that is on the way up.

I classed into "C" 3 years ago, low C...I just now made "B", but I dont shoot many classifiers (all the local clubs around here have their classifiers on Sunday, when I don't shoot - but that's a different rant)

anyhow....I won some plaques while in "C" and some prizes, and now it'll probably be a while before I win anything again, but I would still rather see a "B" beside my name and not win than a "C" and win prizes.

my $.02

And as for placing.... there's only one winner. Everyone else is graded on a curve.

Amen. The class system should go out the window on match day. High B (or any class) doesn't matter if your name isn't at the top of the list.