Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Airsoft pistol lubrication

slidelock1

I've got a couple of nice air soft pistols that I have just started using to practice for USPSA events. I pop off about 300 rounds or so every other day on my range. Unfortunately, the owners manuals were misplaced so I don't really know how to properly care for them. I just use a little carb cleaner spray on the inside, a bore snake for the barrel, and a light coating of gun oil on the slide rails and springs. Everything seems to be working just fine. However, I have been reading about using silicon oil for lubrication. Do I need to use silicon oil, and have I screwed-up by using gun oil?

What kind of gas do you use to power it? I use propane and have to put a few drops in the can every dozen or so mags worth. Ive always used gun oil for my airsoft stuff. Lightly coated the internals with rem-oil today after i got done shooting, infact.

i just use silicon spray on a couple spots on the magazine every so often (6-8 uses) to ensure good seals-actually had a leaking issue with one but some spray fixed it. then take a few shots and it lubes the internals. I haven't put anything on the slide or barrel tho.

From what I understand, no regular oils should every be put on an airsoft. Only use 100% silicone oil, you can find it in hobby shops because people use it for the shocks on those rc cars. I think regular oil breaks down or damages the rubber and plastics that are in airsofts. I have not put regular oil on any of my airsofts so I cannot say what it will do specifically. But the FBI clue for me comes in the box of every quality airsoft I have bought, a little bottle of silicone oil.

• 4 weeks later...

I lube the slide and rail with NAPA sil glyde. Basically pure silicone grease. Springs, mags and rear piston unit, I just spray with silicone oil. Occasionally, I take apart the hammer and sears and lube with sil glyde. If you are using Green Gas, there is enough silicone content to lube the internal piston unit. If you are using propane, I suggest mixing 1000 weight silicone oil into the adapter.

• 2 weeks later...

I add silicon oil to the propane like everyone else, but I actually do like a bit more lubrication than that. I apply Gun Butter to the slide rails and barrel. I like Gun Butter because, being non-petroleum based, I don't have to worry about it attacking the rubber seals inside the gun.

http://www.gunbutter.com/?page_id=17