Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

True or False?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe, depends on the COF. If you are shooting all A's every shot you need to pick up the speed. You need to balance the speed and accuracy. 90-95% of the points is the ideal range. If you are shooting less than that for points slow down, more than 95% pick it up some.

If you shot all A's, you were going too slow.

FALSE.  I'd say even more so in Production.

I am with Chris on going for 90-95% of the points.  For me though, if I am in tune...really aware...then I shoot A's nearly as fast as letting some points get away.  That doesn't mean I won't let loose a shot that will likely be a C hit (shooting Major).  Although, if I do let loose a C it is usually when I am coming into/leaving the target on a transition .  If I settle for taking the shot while the sights are in the C-zone, I run the risk of a D hit.

Now...forget waht I just said.  ;)  There is a big difference between  shooting Minor and shooting Major.  You can get away with C hits in Major.  It all boils down to your hit factor on your transitions and your splits (not your overall hit factor...that is skewed by the draw, reloads, and movement).

I figured some of this up in another thread.  I'll go do some cutting and pasting.

And i'll throw in the same goes for IDPA - at least for me.  Just shot today and got a re-shoot on a stage.  While I made up over 4 seconds in time, the -1's negated the whole thing...so I shot it virtually the same 4 seconds slower with all -0 as i did with a handful of -1's.

As for why i re-shot, course description was faulty and was given the chance to re-shoot.  So vluc has learned a valuable lesson...one on that and second, that he better shoot IDPA and Production USPSA very similar!  As I posted elsewhere, I can't go fast enough to negate the "C"'s and -1's.

This came up when I was discussing a match with a buddy. I was the only production shooter and thus had to look at overall placement. I felt like I had a good day, but with no production shooters to beat up on, I was comparing myself to mostly open and limited shooters, including a limited master and an A class open shooter.

So here I am, pissed because I didn't beat an  A class open shooter with my 10 rd. Beretta...

This match had a lot of close targets and I plowed 'em good, but I took enough time on the 25-35 ft targets to call A's.

Anyhow, I told a buddy I wanted all A's to compete with major power shooters, and he made our title statement.

I think my version is:

"If somebody in your division shot A's faster than you, then you should have shot all A's faster than he did!"

SA

Ok...it really comes down to doing the math (and knowing your abilities).

Example:  (shooting minor) (assume best effort at speed)

If I transition into a target and get my first shoot off in .25 and my second shot off in .15 (.40 total) and hit two C's (six points), I have scored a hit factor of 15 on that target (6 / .40 = 15 hf).  

If I come in a take a bit more time to line my sights up, say...  0.30 on the transition and .20 on the split, and that allows me to hit the A's (10 points), I will have shot a 20 hit factor on that target (10 / .50 = 20 hf).

------------

Same example as above...but shooting Major:

If I transition into a target and get my first shoot off in .25 and my second shot off in .15 (.40 total) and hit two C's (eight points), I have scored a hit factor of 20 on that target.  

If I come in a take a bit more time to line my sights up, say...  0.30 on the transition and .20 on the split, and that allows me to hit the A's (10 points), I will have shot a 20 hit factor on that target.

In major...it is a wash.  

If you run at 90% of your speed and shoot 90% A hits you should finish very high consistently.  If you have a stage that is very close, few no shoots, let it all hang out, if it is 25 yds with lost of hard cover or no shoots, crank it back and get the hits.

IMO, just because someone cleans a course doesn't mean they shot it too slow.  Granted you can be too deliberate and thereby shoot all As, but a clean score in and of itself does not mean the shooter was shooting too slow.

HUGE difference between minor and major.  I would say that I fall in the 92-95% range depending on the course of fire.  However, I learned at the Area 5 just how important those A's are when shooting minor.... uhhh... well it wasn't planned... I learned my lesson at the chrono.... anyway, I lost 90 points.  So if you are shooting major, shooting all A's probably cost you a second or more.  However, shooting minor you might want to consider spending that extra second or so.

No, I wasn't cutting it too fine.  I was shooting a 125 gr at 1360 when I left for IL.  I used 2 different chrono's.  I guess I didn't realize that the humidity, temp,and elevation would make a 60 fps difference.  I wasn't even close!  It wasn't my chrono, I used 2 other ones when I returned with the same readings.

FALSE FALSE FALSE FALSE!

Anybody that says this to you is "messing with your head"!  Happened to me just 2 weeks ago - shot an awesome stage - right in the "the zone" - knew they were all A's when I was done and the first thing the RO said after he scored them was "if you're shooting all A's, you're going too slow".

Well I believed him and left the match in a damned pouty mood because I believed my GREAT in the zone, finally at one with the gun run sucked.

Guess what - I was second overall on the stage!  My time was 1.5 seconds slower than the winner, and at least that much off of the others, but those points is what mattered :)

So ignore the naysayers and stick with your gut!

I agree with ShooterGrrl. They are just jealous because they can't shoot a stage clean. haha

Also depends on how fast you are shooting.

Had a stage last weekend, big field course. I was fastest by 1.7, but am happier that I only dropped 3 points. I also took 7 extra shots which I am VERY unhappy about.

Advice above about "judging stage" is also very important. There are stages that are time biased and you better be fast if you want to win. Those are the ones that the times are .10-.20 different in the top 10. Notice that the winner usually drops no points maybe 1.

As the stink from my shooting Sunday at Zanesville rolls off the range and into the countryside to scare the wildlife, I shall reflect on my stinking, and hereby vow to never again focus on SPEED.

(It's mostly Seever's fault for going ahead of me with an open gun, setting my mental pace. )

I was doing fine before, shooting MY speed and getting A's....

SA

Steve

Never watch me. I have a hypnotic iron-on transfer on all my shooting shirts that convinces all shooters to shoot faster than they are able. Its all I got right now. We are researching new transfer technologies.

Shoot well and prosper.:)

you know i'm not so sure. i've had some really fast field courses that i really pushed the edge and had D hits that saved the stage and i won. last month we had a 26 round stage that was up close till the end where they had a 25 yard head shoot with no shoots. did the stage 4 seconds faster than anyone else, didn't even try the head shoot gave 2 mikes away. would have won the stage but had a third mike on a close target. still almost had it.

• 2 years later...

Keep telling yourself, A's are good...A's are good... ;)

I believe the key to shooting well is to eliminate the wasted motions so you have the time to shoot more A's.

I spend as little time as possible getting ready to shoot the shot and all the time NECESSARY to make the shot. ;)

If you are going to TAKE THE TIME TO SHOOT ALL A's then you don't need to shoot major anyway as:

A zone hit = 5 points major or minor

SO SHOOT MINOR and shoot all A's and take the time to do it. B)

IF NOT::::

Shoot Major take a few b, c, or D hits when they come shoot faster but TRY for All A's :)

NOT TOO MUCH ROCKET SCIENCE THERE GUYS/GALS ;)

Hopalong