Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

May

benos

I think this thread will be interesting soley due to the variety of responses it will have.

I've been reading a book that is in part the inspiration for this topic.

So here's the question. If someone asked me what is my Zen practice, at all times, what would I say?

And since it will be difficult to guess the exact sentence (the answer is not in the linked post) :) - the winner will be whoever is closest in meaning.

(I'm pretty sure I've never posted it, so that will save you some searching.)

If BigJoni wins, I'll give her 20 bucks instead of a book.

:)

be

There is no spoon.......

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would say that you want to "feel" all things. You try to "feel" the fly bothering you, the sky blue, the mountains high. You are in tune with your senses and what encompasses them. You are the fly, the blue, the mountain, and they are you.

Edited by fourtrax

"BE" in the moment.

Let no one thing go un-noticed.

All things belong where they are for a purpose.

Examine everything as if it is the last time you will see it.

Be at peace with who you are.

You have a purpose - find it.

Jerry

To not let a thought go unnoticed.

:D

Hard to beat that one!

But, we were just talking on that topic on the porch.

I'll pare that down a bit.

be

(Although a bit obscure, "pare it down a bit" was a hint.)

Listen!

That as simply as I can say it. In the pure state of listening, nothing is heard. Remain in the mystery.

That was the meaning behind this post (which I was a bit surprised no one asked about) :) -

When listening! Thoughts end before they can begin.

Close enough's:

"Be" (nothing but) aware.

to be aware

Brian,

I don't know you but from reading some of your posts I would guess that your personal Zen practice is Attention.

"BE" in the moment.

You four email me your mailing address and I'll send you each a book.

forum@brianenos.com

Thanks to everyone that contributed!

be

Hard to beat that one!

be

Listen!

That as simply as I can say it. In the pure state of listening, nothing is heard. Remain in the mystery.

That was the meaning behind this post (which I was a bit surprised no one asked about) :) -

Close enough's:

to be aware

Brian,

I don't know you but from reading some of your posts I would guess that your personal Zen practice is Attention.

"BE" in the moment.

forum@brianenos.com

be

To have a thought end before it begins is not possible. By stating that it has ended before it has begun, it had to have a beginning. If it did end before it began, then it wasn't a thought at all.....There is no end, just like there is no beginning...There is only here and now...

Hard to beat that one!

be

Listen!

Close enough's:

to be aware

Brian,

"BE" in the moment.

forum@brianenos.com

be

To have a thought end before it begins is not possible. By stating that it has ended before it has begun, it had to have a beginning. If it did end before it began, then it wasn't a thought at all.....There is no end, just like there is no beginning...There is only here and now...

huh :roflol:

I hate to say this but my wife notices everything that I don't do, and she reminds me everyday I don't do it :)

Are women better at this skill than men? She notices everthing! I will admit that I am not fully aware all the time, I think that would just drain me, if I just made it a religious act. I try to focus on what needs to be done, and do that until the job gets done, and at the same time do the best I can.

I can see what you are talking about in regards, to living the life and appreciating everything and not taking for granted the little things, like tasting your food, instead of just eating it. when your outside listening to all the sounds, instead of just being outside, listen to the birds, the cars in the background, actually increasing your awarness of everything. It seems you could get it down to the point, where you could hear a car a few hundred yards away, and know that it needs a tune up or a belt replaced. Or hearing someone coughing in the distance, and knowing that person is sick. But it seems like it even goes beyond that. It seems like it prepares you, and it allows you to know more than the average person just being outside talking on the porch. It seems, that you are living life and enjoying the little intracacies,while at the same time knowing and constantly learning of all your surroundings, as opposed to just being a stump in the forrest. Interesting perspective. I like it!!!

Are women better at this skill than men?

IMO it's not a male/female thing, it's more of a Temperament thing. Specifically, wthin the MBTI Temperament system, it's S (Sensing) vs. N (Intuitive). In daily life I've very S. S people are aware of their surroundings, while N types are more often "in their head." My friend Henning, in daily life is extremely N. Once when we were returning from a trip, he remarked - "You notice everything while we are driving, nature, birds, everything. I never notice any of that because I'm always in my head." That pretty much hit the Temperament nail on the head. And it's not a "better" thing - we are just innately different.

I will admit that I am not fully aware all the time, I think that would just drain me, if I just made it a religious act.

To me there's nothing religious about staying aware. The more aware I remain, the more energy I have, because I don't have a lot of thought baggage accumulating in my head.

Typing that reminded me of today's Maku mozo! "... this is how to train. Let yourself be. You don't have to do anything." What I get from that... "You don't have to do anything" means I don't have to think about anything I am not going to do anything about, or cannot do anything about. Just let be.

be

• 4 weeks later...