Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

May

benos

I think this thread will be interesting soley due to the variety of responses it will have.

I've been reading a book that is in part the inspiration for this topic.

So here's the question. If someone asked me what is my Zen practice, at all times, what would I say?

And since it will be difficult to guess the exact sentence (the answer is not in the linked post) :) - the winner will be whoever is closest in meaning.

(I'm pretty sure I've never posted it, so that will save you some searching.)

If BigJoni wins, I'll give her 20 bucks instead of a book.

:)

be

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I read that post, I was reminded of "The way of the peaceful warrior" by Dan Millman. It's been twenty years since I read it and I gave away my copy, so all recollections are fuzzy. If that's the right book, my guess as to your answer would be "breathing". At least, that would be my answer.

Edited by nashvillebill

Attention

There's an old Zen story: a student said to Master Ichu, 'Please write for me something of great wisdom.'

Master Ichu picked up his brush and wrote one word: 'Attention.'

The student said, 'Is that all?'

The master wrote, 'Attention. Attention.'

The student became irritable. 'That doesn't seem profound or subtle to me.'

In response, Master Ichu wrote simply, 'Attention. Attention. Attention.'

In frustration, the student demanded, 'What does this word attention mean?'

Master Ichu replied, 'Attention means attention.'

When doing something, just do it. When driving, just drive; when eating, just eat; when working, just work.

Finally, your don't-know mind will become clear. Then you can see the sky, only blue. You can see the tree, only green. Your mind is like a clear mirror. Red comes, the mirror is red; white comes the mirror is white. A hungry person comes, you can give him food; a thirsty person comes, you can give her something to drink. There is no desire for myself, only for all beings. That mind is already enlightenment.

When doing something, just do it. When driving, just drive; when eating, just eat; when working, just work.

Finally, your don't-know mind will become clear. Then you can see the sky, only blue. You can see the tree, only green. Your mind is like a clear mirror. Red comes, the mirror is red; white comes the mirror is white. A hungry person comes, you can give him food; a thirsty person comes, you can give her something to drink. There is no desire for myself, only for all beings. That mind is already enlightenment.

Good stuff.

Good stuff.

Thanks, I thought so too, but I guess not good enough for the book. What I think it's saying is that when you do something, concentrate only on that thing, don't think about anything else. Be aware of what you are doing, whether it be something you percieve to be complicated or something as simple as opening a door. Be aware of how your body moves, the muscles in your arms and hands, focus just on the moment, shutting out all other thoughts, and just be the moment.

So, I would think your Zen practice is to be. To be one with everything around you, but also be nothing, to notice all but leave no trace of your being...

Edited by GrumpyOne

You say "I focus on awareness."

Where is the "I" located?

Focusing on awareness.

Who focuses on awareness?

be

Your being focuses on awareness.

Awareness is being.

So what is focusing on what?

be

Focusing on awareness.

be

Awareness is being.

be

Your minds "eye" is focusing on awareness/being.

Focusing on awareness.

be

Awareness is being.

be

Your minds "eye" is focusing on awareness/being.

When the naming ends you will know.

be