Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm considering getting a Luminox Navy SEAL watch with rubber band. I like the style of watch. I'd like to stay in the $200-$400 range. I'd like to hear any other suggestions that fit my criteria or your experience with Luminox.

Thanks!

I LOVE the tritium lighting...no buttons to push - always lit - especially in "dusk-ish" or mixed light.

The construction between the models seems to be hit or miss. I have one of the more basic SEAL-types and have had great luck with it until recently - but I bought it used and then abused it further. I upgraded to a SS/Carbon version and it is great also.

A good friend had two other models and had trouble with both...

The all light capability is the BIG seller for me even with the various grade levels. It is one of those features that really makes sense after camping/time spent in low light/etc.

I say do it.

ETA - it was a tried and true Timex owner prior to these watches.

Edited by hk_mtbr

I have two.

My first and oldest is the standard Plastic case with rubber band. The case itself broke at the band pin after about 6 months. Much to their credit luminox replaced it with an explanation that they had a bad run of the cases. The replacement has not failed me yet and its now about 9 yrs old.

My second is a totally titanium model. This is my favorite watch I own. It is very comfortable, and looks much nicer than the plastic/rubber one. There are numbers on the rotating dial that have a black paint in them for increased visibility. After about 5 yrs it started to flake out. I used a toothpick to get it all out and it looks perfect again. I have had this one for 7 yrs without a single mechanicle problem.

Looked at them but never gotten one, they are supposed to be decent watches...

for everyday work watch I like Casio Pathfinders that are solar, they are tough and go forever. I had a triple sensor I wore for about 5 years and finally gave it to a friend as a hiking watch and I now wear a titanium one that's very comfortable.

Leo

post-10792-127324121534_thumb.jpg

Edited by LeoHallak

If you like automatic watches, take a look at the Seiko Monster. Built like a tank, water resistant down to 200m, awesome lume and well within your price range. It's been described as the AK47 of watches. A quick search on the web will turn up a lot info on this great watch.

If you like automatic watches, take a look at the Seiko Monster. Built like a tank, water resistant down to 200m, awesome lume and well within your price range. It's been described as the AK47 of watches. A quick search on the web will turn up a lot info on this great watch.

I gave my buddy a Orange Monster for a gift and he was able to break it. He dropped it from the 2nd floor of his house onto a wood floor. :) Cant go wrong with a Seiko though... I have a fondness for Seiko 5 line too.

leo

I gave my buddy a Orange Monster for a gift and he was able to break it. He dropped it from the 2nd floor of his house onto a wood floor. :) Cant go wrong with a Seiko though... I have a fondness for Seiko 5 line too.

I'm sure a lot of watches would fail that test too. At least it wasn't attached to his wrist when he dropped it from the 2nd floor. :P

Edited by 03k64

This should go in the "gun store stories" thread but...

I was looking at Luminox in the local fun store yesterday. Note: I was also wearing one at the time. I ask sales guy to see it and details...He starts telling me how great the G-shock watches are...on and on...even looks up the website for me while I'm holding the luminox...

me - "do you sell those?"

guy - "nope I'd buy it on ebay if I were you"

me - "thanks! Here's your watch back...see ya"

Not sure that helps - but he likes the g-shock with solar power and radio/atomic updates..."you can hit it with a hammer" :huh:

ymmv

Ive got a Suunto X-Lander Military edition and love it. Does everything I need it to and I can push the buttons while the watch is submerged without water getting in (most lower-end watches you cant do this). Think it was like $300, but I got it in the BX while in Baghdad so YMMV.

Nothing listed so far can compete with tritium illumination. Always on, no buttons, easily visible. Traser watches are another very good watch with tritium illumination points.

I don't need a watch to tell me time in thirty different time zones, record barometric pressure, or count ducks flying over head, YMMV.

I do need a watch that is ungodly durable and visible without pushing a button or turning the face into a flashlight. For this role I have had a Luminox for going on 8 years and it has been punished, yet it still functions perfectly.

Good discussion. Thanks, guys.

I've had some high-end Casio (is this an oxymoron?) and some great japanese watches, but my wife got me a Traser last summer. I don't think I'll ever get another watch. This one has the blue tritium, titanium case and band, and a sapphire crystal.

traser_classic_bd_chrono_titaniumx160.jpg

This place had some good deals (where I got mine). I looked at the Luminox versions, but I liked the metal band. I'd say go for the Luminox if you like the rubber or fabric straps.

Danno

leo

I have a Seiko Sportsmatic 5 that my father bought in Saigon in 1965. I had it serviced and a little polish on the crystal, but other than that, it works perfectly. With such sentimental value I don't wear it much, but I get compliments on it frequently when I do wear it. :)

I have a Citizen eco-drive. Titanium case/rubber band. It's very accurate and within your price range. They have great customer service/warranty service too. If I ever have a problem (like when the band broke) I send it back and they fix it for the price of the shipping.

The crystal is ridiculously tough. I have worn it in countless street brawls on duty and fishing/swimming/snorkeling more times than I can count and it doesn't have a scratch on it.

But if you prefer digital, and need a really tough watch, it's hard to beat a Casio G-Shock for value. You can't kill those damn things.