Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slugs for FN SLP

Marv Z

I need to know what I should be running for slugs in my new SLP for 3 gun. I'm going to break it down and clean it tonight, then head to the range tomorrow. I bought some Winchester 2 3/4 rifled slugs/ powerpoint 1oz. Is this ok? This is my first shotgun, so please excuse my ignorance. Thanks!!!

We have had good luck with Winchester WinLite 1 oz rifled slugs in our smoothbore SLP. Always cycles and groups are good enough for the long range steel. However, I have not experimented with other loads for a better precision load.

Do I want a rifled type slug or a sabot? I went on Midways site and they do recommend that slug for a smooth bore or rifled. Mine is a smooth bore.

Use rifled slugs. The Remington Managed Recoil always ran and grouped great in my 1100, but have failed to cycle my FN. It has broken in nicely now and has started cycling lower dram shot, so intend to try them again. I have used the Brenneke K.O. in the FN with great results and they're priced competitively. I bought some Winchester Win-Lite and Federal Truball to try on the recommendation of a trusted fellow FN shooter and I imagine those would be good choices for you as well.

I like the Federal low recoil slugs(blue ones). I am running the Fiochi low recoil slugs right now. I am just about out of these. I will order a couple of cases Federal after the La Rue match.I am running them in a Benelli. I have an Win SX2 that doesn't like anything Winchester, but it runs everything else. I run rifle slugs in all my smoothbore guns.

I like the Federal low recoil slugs(blue ones). I am running the Fiochi low recoil slugs right now. I am just about out of these. I will order a couple of cases Federal after the La Rue match.I am running them in a Benelli. I have an Win SX2 that doesn't like anything Winchester, but it runs everything else. I run rifle slugs in all my smoothbore guns.

Are those the standard velocity slugs? 1300 FPS or thereabouts? I'll give them a try. For as few slugs as I seem to shoot, I don't know that "low recoil" is really necessary. Thanks.

Hi OP! I also have an FN SLP except mine is sold/marked as the Winchester SX2 or Super X2. They are the EXACT SAME shotguns from the same plant.

Ironically, like Mike, my FN/Wichester does NOT like any ammunition made by Winchester. I use Federal low recoil slugs and the German-made Wolf brand slugs (they are actually excellent quality - much better than many other Wolf products).

You DO NOT want Sabot slugs. They are way too expensive for our game & offer no advantage.

Your best bet are the low recoil / managed recoil slugs - or Wolf (which cost slightly less).

Edited by Carlos

Using the blue federal low recoil slugs I'm almost foot high at 50 yards as well.

Does anyone have trajectory charts for 12 ga slugs? I'll most likely get a new front sight and want think hard about a good working distance to sight in the slugs.

I had good luck with remington reduced recoil slugs in the FNH SLP that I have.

+1 - ME TOO! - 4" groups @ 100 yards with I/C choke. :)

Cheers,

Kyle

The winchester reduced recoil hit significantly to the right in mine with modified choke, but the Fiocchi reduced recoil 1 oz. slugs I got from Midway were only about 2" to the right at 50 yards so I went with these. Served me well at BRM3G.

I bought some Winchester power point rifled slugs that are rated at 1700 fps. That's a nasty recoil with them. Gun shoots great though. I just received my Remington managed recoil slugs from Midway and will try them at my next range trip. Again, Thanks for all your help!!!!1

I just used my SLP to shoot the LT 3Gun. I brought Federal bulk pack slugs, and remington sluggers and could'nt hit the broad side of a barn. I scrounged up some winchester ranger reduced recoil slugs, and had no problems. Talking to some of the FN shooters, they recommended that I "bury" the front sight post halfway below the bottom of the v-notch to get POA/POI with slugs. I did this for the rest of the match, and did'nt have any more problems making steel fall. I attempted to zero with the federal and remington ammo, but the best I could do with that was 14" high and 6" right. I will definately be looking for a better slug for my SLP, and might even swap out the sights.

I just used my SLP to shoot the LT 3Gun. I brought Federal bulk pack slugs, and remington sluggers and could'nt hit the broad side of a barn. I scrounged up some winchester ranger reduced recoil slugs, and had no problems. Talking to some of the FN shooters, they recommended that I "bury" the front sight post halfway below the bottom of the v-notch to get POA/POI with slugs. I did this for the rest of the match, and did'nt have any more problems making steel fall. I attempted to zero with the federal and remington ammo, but the best I could do with that was 14" high and 6" right. I will definately be looking for a better slug for my SLP, and might even swap out the sights.

What choke were you running? It can be a game changer if you swap it.

Factory Modified choke. Improved groups even higher. Would an extended Briley Modified make much difference?

Factory Modified choke. Improved groups even higher. Would an extended Briley Modified make much difference?

Every SLP is different, but here is my experience. I started with the modified that came with the gun and accuracy was horrible with Remington Managed Recoil slugs (18"-20" groups @ 100 yards). I swapped the choke over to I/C with the same ammunition and instantly shot a 4" - 3 shot group @ 100 yards.

Try a the light modified or I/C to see if you get different results.

Good luck!

Kyle

• 3 weeks later...

Changed the front sight last weekend. Much better. POA=POI for 100 yards with regular full power slugs.

I'm about 1 foot high with Winchester Ranger low recoil slugs too. What front sight did you end up with?

I am finding Brenneke Tactical Home Defense/reduced recoil slugs shoot very flat. They are rifled and group great in my saiga.

Best price I can find is at AbleAmmo including shipping for $5.74 box.

Edited by tnek