Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip tape on grip panels

ruready

I have grip tape on my glock and liked how it feels. So I tried to put one on the grip panels of my Kimber Team match however, the grip tape won't stay long in a position. After a few dry fires, the grip tape is out of position. Is there a technique for installing this on the grip panels. Anyone know an aftermarket grip tape, pre cut for the grip panels?

I don't have any experience with real grip tape, but like others here, I started with a cheap pair of ugly brown simulated GI plastic grips. I sanded off the checkering with large grit paper so it would stay a bit rough and used 3M stair tape. It is more aggressive than the grip tape I have seen at least and thicker, and I wanted thicker grips anyway. It worked very well. Looks a whole lot like Burner grips to me. I had some epoxy around to use in case it came loose, but it didn't. One thing I learned, don't apply it where my thumb touches the grip when I sweep the safety up, it will definitely drag the skin there.

Old grips with the checkering sanded off would be a good way to go. If you want to make sure the tape really sticks wipe off the grips with some alcohol first to get off any oils or residue. Take a heat gun and warm up the grips and the tape and then press them together. You will get a very strong bond.

Grip Tape Junkie

These were a set of smooth Micarta grips I made. I thoroughly degreased them, and applied 3M stair tread tape. Very grippy B)

Before Grip tape, funky Kermit the Frog looking laminated Micarta

G10Grips007.jpg

After Grip tape...

GripTapeKimber002.jpg

GripTapeKimber003.jpg

Thanks for the pic. I might try the stair tread tape route. The skateboard tape that I used on my Glocks tends to flake when new. Often times, they go in between the gun and holster which the outcome won't be pleasant. :angry2:

Grip Tape Junkie

These were a set of smooth Micarta grips I made. I thoroughly degreased them, and applied 3M stair tread tape. Very grippy B)

Before Grip tape, funky Kermit the Frog looking laminated Micarta

G10Grips007.jpg

After Grip tape...

GripTapeKimber002.jpg

GripTapeKimber003.jpg