Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What powder for 147gr precision delta 9mm?

Emmon

I'm looking to make an order of powder for the summer and I don't know what to get. My plan is to practice for GSSF shooting, so there isn't any power factor issue, I just need loads that cycle reliably in my gun(a g17) and are low/moderate recoil.

Can anyone recommend a powder for me that will meter well in a 550, pour out if double charged, and allow me to cook up a nice low/moderate recoil load?

147 gr precision delta fmj

mixed brass

cci/win small pistol primers

If you have a special place to order it from, that could help too... I was just planning on using powder valley.

I have some blue dot and AA #7 on hand for 10mm reloads, thoughts on these for my 9mm load?

Using Solo 1000 also. Clean burning and 3.7 grains does an excellent job in my gun with that 147 form precision delta. Just work up your load first..some of the 1000 is slower burning from one lot to another. I got lucky and have the fast lot. The barrel seems to stay cooler after multiple rounds and no unburned powder.

I'm using WAP which is now Silhouette.

Good results but I do want to try Titegroup.

I have to load heavier than I need to get good groups and there is some unburnt powder.

I'm hesitant to try solo1000 because of the lot-lot variances I read about here.

BTW this is with the PD FMJTC bullet. I went with it because the most accurate bullet I ever used in 9mm was the Winchester 147 TC match which was discontinued years ago. This is the closest bullet I have found to that old Win bulet.

I'm also shooting GSSF and am playing with several different bullet weights. One of them is a Precision Delta 147 tc, I am loading 4.5 power pistol or 3.9 Unique. They are both bulky powders that make it obvious if you have double charged and they are both relatively cheap. I like Power Pistol just a bit better because it meters better and is more consistent. Both will shoot less than 2" from my Glock 34.

I had an old batch of Solo 1000 that was given to me a few years back. Very pleased with the way it worked out. Bought a new jug and it's a little slower but have been pleased with every bullet weight 124 and above. Latest run was 124 Frontier Plated with 4.6, OAL 1.135, 128 power factor in my Trojan.

I don't think you could get enough Solo 1000 in the case to shoot a 115gn bullet without spilling powder on the shell plate.

Works even better with 147gn bullets but need to work up new load with my new lot as it's a little slower than the old batch.

I would recommend Solo 1000 to any one shooting heavy bullets in a 9mm.

I've seen a lot of positive feedback in 9mm, wonder if anyone has tried it in 40S@W with 175gn to 180gn bullets?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay everyone. I am looking for a 135 pf load using Precision Delta 9mm 147 gr FMJ. This will be shot through a G34? What powder? What OAL?

Edited by jkatz44

Okay everyone. I am looking for a 135 pf load using Precision Delta 9mm 147 gr FMJ. This will be shot through a G34? What powder? What OAL?

I just tested a batch of 147 grain MG, at 1.135"

in Winchester cases, with S & B primers, and

3.8 gr WW231. Came in at 34.4 pf.

Same load with 3.65 gr WW231 came in at 130 pf,

and was a little more accurate, in my BHP.

I just tested a batch of 147 grain MG, at 1.135"

in Winchester cases, with S & B primers, and

3.8 gr WW231. Came in at 34.4 pf.

Same load with 3.65 gr WW231 came in at 130 pf,

and was a little more accurate, in my BHP.

Okay. It seems like the preferred powder is Solo 1000. How much powder would make a 135pf load out of a G34? OAL?

Edited by jkatz44

"What powder for 147gr precision delta 9mm?"

Alliant American Select.

As they advertise....Ultra Clean Burning.

Fills the case up.

I just switched from using Berry's 124 RNDS to Berry's 147 RNDS bullets. I prefer the "pulse" recoil as to the "snappy" recoil I get with the 124's. My 124's were making 134,000 PF out of my G34 and the 147's are making ~132,000 PF out of the same gun.

Berry's 147 RNDS

CCI 500 or WSP

Mixed brass

3.3 gr AAS

1.142" OAL

Avg. 900 fps or 132,300 PF