Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&W and Clays

cws357

Just FYI I made a few hundred rounds of 3.5gr Clays loads (180gr lead TC bullet) and sent 2-300 down the range this afternoon. While I'm starting to see some smoke for sure when pounding through a pair of targets, this is still a super fun, easy-shooting load. I haven't clocked it yet nor have I shot to determine accuracy of the load, that's going to have to wait. In the meantime, I won't hesitate to load some at 3.6 or even 3.7, just to see if this smoke thing is real or imagined. I never really noticed smoke with my light .45 loads and Clays, but this isn't .45 and I'm shooting much faster now than I was able to just a few months ago. It sure is impressive at the old indoor range ;)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just FYI I made a few hundred rounds of 3.5gr Clays loads (180gr lead TC bullet) and sent 2-300 down the range this afternoon. While I'm starting to see some smoke for sure when pounding through a pair of targets, this is still a super fun, easy-shooting load. I haven't clocked it yet nor have I shot to determine accuracy of the load, that's going to have to wait. In the meantime, I won't hesitate to load some at 3.6 or even 3.7, just to see if this smoke thing is real or imagined. I never really noticed smoke with my light .45 loads and Clays, but this isn't .45 and I'm shooting much faster now than I was able to just a few months ago. It sure is impressive at the old indoor range wink.gif

Sound like a nice minor load.

Just FYI I made a few hundred rounds of 3.5gr Clays loads (180gr lead TC bullet) and sent 2-300 down the range this afternoon. While I'm starting to see some smoke for sure when pounding through a pair of targets, this is still a super fun, easy-shooting load. I haven't clocked it yet nor have I shot to determine accuracy of the load, that's going to have to wait. In the meantime, I won't hesitate to load some at 3.6 or even 3.7, just to see if this smoke thing is real or imagined. I never really noticed smoke with my light .45 loads and Clays, but this isn't .45 and I'm shooting much faster now than I was able to just a few months ago. It sure is impressive at the old indoor range ;)

I don't notice the smoke the RO ussually does :roflol:

I am loading 4.0grs of clays and keeping them at 1.150 and get about 925fps on average

I can get a few more fps if I load them shorter 1.140-1.135

3.6 grs is the minimum load list for CLAYS in sierra's 5th addition

• 1 month later...

As a side note, be careful with charge weights below 3.0 grains with CLAYS or any other large flake powder. Low charge weight can "bridge" in the measure, and cause big variations in powder drops. If you keep the powder measure full and tap it now and then you should be fine, but if you like to run it down low this could happen....

Doug

• 4 months later...

I'm using 3.0 grains and a 180 gran TC lead bullet @ 1.205 in an XDM 40. Very soft shooting, fun round.

That long? I assembled a couple last night with the Precision 185 at that length and they would not even fit into the mag of my XDm.

Another point to make is that OAL and actual bullet length both affect pressure in the case. If you have a long bullet, compared to a short bullet (say a fairly pointy hollow point like the Hornady XTP compared to a flat nosed solid slug of the same weight), you will have less space under the longer bullet for the powder, and your pressure will be correspondingly higher.

So for safe loading, in addition to powder type and charge, please take into account the bullet material (lead vs jacketed) and OAL as well.

Happy and safe loading! :)

• 2 weeks later...

For my XDM 40 I use 2.6 gr. of Clays with 180 gr. lead @ 1.125 OAL with a PF of 132 - 136 for IDPA.

My only complaint is that it is VERY dirty.

My G35 will flat not run with a load that light.

For my XDM 40 I use 2.6 gr. of Clays with 180 gr. lead @ 1.125 OAL with a PF of 132 - 136 for IDPA.

Have you tried a 12# recoil spring and full length guide rod in it. My cycles fine with 2.6 gr at 1.130 OAL and 185 moly bullets...PF 134.

Mine does but only with an 11 lb recoil spring. Also dejadoo is right to point out that this load is very (and I do mean VERY) dirty.

Yes, VERY was an understatement for sure.

I'm going to trying another powder VERY soon.

I found out that 3.2gr of Solo 1000 produces a very similar recoil impulse and it's a bit cleaner. Truth be told, when you shoot bare lead, there are no powders out there that can be considered "clean". Even moly-coated bullets are smokey and dirty.

As they say "to each his own"... All my Glock ammo with the exception of my Open G17 (major 9) will fully function the OEM recoil assembly, with room to spare.

The whole "this spring/rod for this load and this for that load" started giving me hives. :huh:

Jim

• 6 months later...

hello everyone, i'm new to the forum and am new to 40sw reloading and the 2011 platform. from what i've gathered here i threw together 3gr of clays topped with berry's ds 180gr to 1.190. i do not have a chrono..yet haaha. but can anyone give me an estimation to what vel/pf this load might be running? thanks

• 1 month later...

Chronographed some rounds tonight.

Bullet= Precision 185 gr .40

Cases= Mixed

Powder= Clays

Charge= 3.7 gr

OAL= 1.155

Gun= G35 with KKM barrel

Low= 914

High= 936

Avg= 921

PF= 170

All data the same except:

Powder= Longshot

Charge= 5.9 gr

Low= 918

High= 950

Avg= 932

PF= 172

Going to load up a bunch more of the Clays so that I can get a larger sample and to get a better idea of how it feels compared to the Longshot. Will also have to get an idea of how much of a change I can expect if it is shot at around 40 degrees instead of the 70 degrees indoors. Would hate to Chrono it at a major match only to find it has gone minor because of the temp change.

A funny note to the testing is that I had 3 rounds of Clays left after I checked it across the chrono. Loaded them into the middle of a magazine I used on a COF we shot tonight. The RO and board person both said they almost called "STOP" when they heard the first round go off, but a split second later heard rounds 2 and 3 go off and figured I had it under control. There is a BIG difference in the bang created by Longshot and the one created by Clays. I expected the difference in sound even though I knew the feel of the recoil would be close being as they are both around a 170 PF. I felt the right recoil with the softer bang so I just kept shooting not thinking about how the RO's might react to it.