Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to mark/color code brass?

Wild Gene

I use the red sharpie in the extractor groove. 1+ for shooting with nice people who return your marked brass. It goes fast when we look for each others brass!!

Jan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I can't wait until someone comes up with a Easter egg coloring kit for ammo. :)

Hilarious! I was thinking of etching mine but Sharpie seems easier. I have lost so many brass in the grass though... if only brass was magnetic! ;)

I can't wait until someone comes up with a Easter egg coloring kit for ammo. :)

Hilarious! I was thinking of etching mine but Sharpie seems easier. I have lost so many brass in the grass though... if only brass was magnetic! ;)

they have magnetic spray paint....

The absolute best way to mark brass is to have someone else do it. I use our receptionist at work. No, it isn't cruel! She likes to have something to do between calls when she is caught up on all her actual work duties.

post-11830-127870508993_thumb.jpg

post-11830-127870509901_thumb.jpg

Although I hand prime all my brass and double check the primers to insure they are seated before I load the ammo I still check them once more:

Loaded ammo goes into *your brand* 100 round ammo box, primers up. Once I insure that the primers are all good to go and the ammo is loaded to the same length I run a sharpy across each row and each col. to get a colored X on each headstamp. it also helps me sort my brass once I get it home.

Black X means local match brass, not TOO worried if I don't get it all back.

Blue or Green X means new brass, once or twice fired and that gets seperated from the Black X

Red X means throw away brass, primer pockets getting pretty loose and not to be used in a match

This works for me, YMMV.

Joe W.

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about having some kind of stamp made - that way I could put a unique pattern on the brass, fairly quickly - anyone try that?

Problem with having a stamp made is that you have to be very careful about the ink. The standard 'stamp pad' ink used on paper DOES NOT work on brass. Yes, it marks it, but doesn't dry! Fingers get all dirty and inky and sticky, and the ink comes off in the box or magazine. Yuck.

I put my cartridges in 50 round plastic cases, bullet end down, and "paint" the entire head with a broad tip premanent (red) marker. The guys on my local squad glady return them to me if I miss some. However, the biggest reason I do this is to identify ammo that has been through the case length gage / barrel drop test. A process I usually do not do for rounds I fire here at home. I have a stage on the back of my property . . . . 3 steel plates, 12 poppers, 2 dissappearing paper targets and 2 or more paper targets. So, the only brass on the ground belongs to me ;)

Dave

Edited by Reshoot

The only problem with marking the bottom is that it can be hard to spot.

While watching my roll sizer spinning brass down the die a few weeks ago I though a milled slot and some felt would make for one(or more) very fast stripe and it wouldn’t be an extra step.

Marking brass on the side of the case by hand is just way to slow if you shoot any volume of reloads.

Marking the head is easy and quick and only matters after it is picked up anyway. I'm old enough that once I bend over :sick: I'm going to pick up just about everything within reach anyway, and sort it out later.