Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Airsoft Alternative

g.willikers

Other than airsoft pistols, there hasn't been an effective training tool, until now.

Umarex has recently introduced semiauto pellet guns, CO2 powered with blowback action, definite recoil, rifled barrels with skirted .177 lead pellets.

Very good accuracy and less than $100.

Previous versions of semiauto pellet pistols were just disguised revolvers or bb guns, but Umarex has developed a way to make realistic pistols with skirted pellets.

There's a video review of the Berretta Storm version at Pyramydair.com at the video section choice at the top of their main web page.

I just got one and am very impressed with it.

It's a true acting DA/SA trigger starting with the hammer down, or SA starting with the hammer back.

The recoil is at least the same as a .22.

The accuracy at 7 yds is way better than my airsoft, too.

The only drawback is that the CO2 only lasts approx 40 shots, but they are good ones.

Check it out, you won't be wasting your time.

Shezer,

I use CO2 pellet guns in the garage all the time.

For revolver practice, I've been using a Crosman CO2 model 357 for years, along with spring powered rifles.

They require better backstops than airsoft, but a box filled with towels or a piece of carpet, and a 1/2" plywood back will do the job.

Just make sure the sides of the box are protected for angle shots.

It's best to be squarely in front of each target to avoid those, though.

One advantage to the pellet guns is the lead pellet flattens on impact and there's rarely a bounce back like with airsoft or steel bbs guns.

But they will easily go through an aluminum or hollow wooden garage door.

But even then, they won't go far after that.

And they are accurate.

I've had a pellet range of some form or another for many years. Actually time to build a new one. Electrical box with a few inches of ductseal works great. Airsoft is more versatile for most I think. Especially people in appartments etc. I can see a reason to have an accurate blow back pellet gun though.

Airsoft with rifled barrel shooting plastic skirted projectiles might get the best of both worlds. I can dream! Lol

Edited by Shezer