Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unusual case separation 223

kamikaze1a

BTW, you don't need to pay good money for a shell extractor. Most case halves can be removed with a bore brush and cleaning rod. Just run the brush (on the rod) in from the breach far enough to engage the inside of the case neck, then pull it back out. The front half of the case almost always come out, with the brush inside it. If it doesn't, you've probably found another issue.

BTW, you don't need to pay good money for a shell extractor. Most case halves can be removed with a bore brush and cleaning rod. Just run the brush (on the rod) in from the breach far enough to engage the inside of the case neck, then pull it back out. The front half of the case almost always come out, with the brush inside it. If it doesn't, you've probably found another issue.

A good suggestion and I did try that when I got home. It wouldn't extract so ordered the tool and it popped out with a little tug on the charging handle.

As for the headstamp, most were 07 but there were some 08's so not sure which. Will go check it out later...

On a side note, my AR did not like these bulk 62gr's much but sure did spit out the Nosler 60gr ballistic tips tighter. Maybe I should be more accepting of the results I am getting with this 16" AR and 1X3 scope because it did ring the small 200yd gong every time. Either that or I am just too accustomed to seeing groups from a bolt action rifles with 3X9 optics.

Thanks everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

I had case head seperation because the brass was resized too short. Just a few thousands of an inch made a huge difference. Now the brass is sized to be flush with the top of the case guage. No more problems.

Secondly, I think that the load was too hot. I use 24.5 grs of 2230 for a 55gr bullet. The Sierra book shows 23gr is the proper load for 62gr bullet.

Dirty chamber, hot load, head space problem = split case.

Edited by Mike Morcillo

I had case head seperation because the brass was resized too short. Just a few thousands of an inch made a huge difference. Now the brass is sized to be flush with the top of the case guage. No more problems.

Secondly, I think that the load was too hot. I use 24.5 grs of 2230 for a 55gr bullet. The Sierra book shows 23gr is the proper load for 62gr bullet.

Dirty chamber, hot load, head space problem = split case.

I'm pretty confident that I am not getting shoulder setback as my case gage measures okay. And further testing of the same load fired fine with no separations or flattened primers. I think it was a bad shell or just one of those things and unfortunate on my part that it happened on the first round of that load fired.

As for the load, it was Varget and the Hodgdon table shows 24.5 as a starting load for 63gr so shouldn't be too hot. Didn't use the Sierra table but as with all loads, that 24.5gr is a suggested start and different components could make or break the load. I'll go take a look at the Sierra table when I get home but followup firings of that same load makes me confident it's safe, though not "the one". Still searching for an accurate load that meets the pf...

Thanks for your input!