Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spartan 9 - Magazine & Magwell Issues

Paul Burtchell

Just received my new STI Spartan 9. Pistol is finished very well with a nice tight slide/frame fit & tight lockup.

I added a Dawson Ice "no gap" magwell and purchased 4 of the new Dawson Precision Supreme Tactical 10 round 9mm magazines with the aluminum "no gap" base pads.

Here is the issue: 2 of the magazines will seat "all the way" in but will not drop free when you hit the mag release button & the 2 other mags will not fit in all the way and seat.

One other strange thing is that I cannot unload rounds from the magazines. The only way to unload the magazines are to insert them in the pistol and rack the slide to eject them????

I only live about 30 minutes from Dawson Precision so I'm going to make a trip down this week and hopefully Dave can give it a "look & see". I'll keep ya'll posted. I'm sure just a little tweaking is in order.

Edited by Paul Burtchell

Let us know how this turns out. I just got my Spartan 9 too and was looking at that mag well.

The one Tripp mag I tried worked in my gun. My one Dawson is hard to load 10 rounds and unload too.

But, it seems to be getting better. Thanks,

T

I am going to purchase to gap insert and go with Wilson mags after I fit the trigger bow on my SVI flat trigger.

Word to the wise - STAY AWAY from Metalform mags in the Sartan 9mm. They are to large and get jammed.

Update: I borrowed a friends 10 round 9mm Tripp Cobramag. It fits and ejects perfectly with the Dawson aluminum base pad installed.

I measured from the bottom of the magazine catch slot in the magazine to the top of the base pad. The Tripp magazine mag catch slot is slightly lower the the Dawson's. So, I think the therein lies the issue.

The bullets also were easy to remove from the magazine on the Cobramags. I still don't know what's going on there with the Dawson's ??

Edited by Paul Burtchell

I am going to purchase to gap insert and go with Wilson mags after I fit the trigger bow on my SVI flat trigger.

Word to the wise - STAY AWAY from Metalform mags in the Sartan 9mm. They are to large and get jammed.

What exactly were the problems with the Metaform mags? At the Area 6 Match this weekend very reliable source quoted a very famous GM as saying that these were the best 9mm mags he had tried.

I bought a 9mm Spartan from Bob Londrigan of Brazos this weekend (his last one in stock) and was planning to pick up some Metalform mags. Maybe I should try the Tripp's instead.

Edited by XD Niner

I am not exactly sure why the mags get stuck in the gun (with and without the mag catch in place). I just miked my metalforms, mecgar and Mcormick mags and the are the same measurement for the entire length of the mags.

I had an Armscor 38 Super I converted to 9mm couple years ago (same maker for the frame as the Spartan) - and the Metalforms seemed to hang up slightly in that gun as well..... my ETM Wilsons dropped free. They all worked great in two other guns, but the Armscor must have had slightly tighter internal dimensions on the magwell?

In any case, the Metalforms had some small high dimple spots on the sides where they were put together - I took a flat file to the high spots and they all dropped free just fine after that. Looked like hell though ;)

Edited by sfinney

Hello: I am using the Tripp 10rd mags with the Dawson base pads on my Spartan 9mm with the Dawson no gap. One thing to check on the Spartan is the grip screws are not sticking into the grip grabbing the mags. The Spartan takes shorter grip screws(Wilsons are too long). The Metalforms work fine in my Spartan, both the Springfield ones and the standard ones. I like the Tripps best so far. I am using a extended mag release as well. I will know more after 1000 rounds or so :cheers: Thanks, Eric

I took a red marker and colored 1 of my Metalform mags and then inserted it numerous times to see where the problem is. Looking at it from the front of the mag I am seeing rub marks along both front corners of the mag. Looking at the back side I am seeing rub marks along each corner but not in the bends. Rub marks are also seen along the inside row of holes on the side that the mag catch slot is on

I made a call to Dawson Precision a couple of hours ago. I spoke with Daniel it Tech Services, who filled out a Tech Support Report. We went over the issues in-depth. I'll update the thread when I hear back.

I thought I would call first, instead of just "dropping in" un-announced.

Edited by Paul Burtchell

I'm using Metalform mags and Dawson's 10 rounds and they both work great, but I did have to smooth out the mag well a bit as the one I'm shooting wasn't super smooth. That was no big deal as a fixed it up any way. Some times the park finish can make things stick. You can pop the slide off and yank the mag catch out and it is very simple to slick up the inside of the magazine channel without much work if you don't want to do a full break down.

Just received my new STI Spartan 9. Pistol is finished very well with a nice tight slide/frame fit & tight lockup.

One other strange thing is that I cannot unload rounds from the magazines. The only way to unload the magazines are to insert them in the pistol and rack the slide to eject them????

I can concur with your post to this point as well. I only got one Dawson mag with it and it fits in the gun fine and drops free. But... it

will only load 8 rounds comfortably and 9 is HARD. Number 10 takes an Arnold push and a screwdriver. To unload it is impossible.

The Tripp mags I used functioned perfectly. Bummed out on th Dawson mag though. Let us know what they say.

T

Little update. I have been leaving the Dawson mag loaded w/ 10 rounds and I have cycled the spring around a 100 times.

Now I can laod 9 rounds easy and the tenth is tight but easier.

T

Back from Dawson Precision !!! I am not a technical guy so please understand my explanation is simplified.

Dave was able to determine after looking at the pistol and mags that the mag catch area was slightly "out of spec". Typical with the Armscor frames. A little too much material in that area. Dave trimmed and fitted the mags and now they drop free perfectly.

The other issue was the mags were very difficult to unload. Dave explained that this would ease up a little after the springs have set and said to load the bullets to 1.120 OAL with the 9mm mags. I had loaded longer to 1.160 but that would only work if I was using a 38 super mag.

No charge for any of this and I was offered my money back, if I wanted. cheers.gif

I'll give a range report, once the rain stops here....

Edited by Paul Burtchell

Did he refinish the areas where he took off the material? What did he remove the material with? Just wondering it he did it by hand or with a mill or something.

Edited by toddrod

Paul: What number is your Spartan 9mm? Mine is number 32 and I have not had any problems with mags at all. I am wondering if you got one that slipped through? Good to see that Mr Dawson took care of you. It amazes me how good gunsmiths are also good people :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Range Report:

I ran 215 rounds of various 9mm loads thru the pistol today with 0 malfunctions. 124's loaded from 1.120 to 1.165 and 147's loaded at 1.135. It fed it all and is EXTREMELY accurate. Mags loaded and ejected perfectly. Easy to load 10 in each mag. The only thing that remains difficult is unloading the first 3 rounds out of a full mag. I can live with that.

I was able to get a couple of 50cent piece size 5 shot groups at 15 yards freehanded with a pretty good South wind blowing and buffeting me around. Needless to say I am happy with the accuracy of the pistol. The load is 4.0 grains of Titegroup with a 124 MG CMJ seated at 1.120, FSP primers, .375 crimp with asst. brass.

I think I like the 147's better though. 3.4 grains of SOLO 1000 with a 147 MG CMJ is like cheating the muzzle rise is so minimal.

I took the Dawson base pad off and put it on aTripp mag and it functioned perfectly too & it is easy to unload.

Edited by Paul Burtchell