Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W M-41 Magazine safety removal

earplug

If you remove the trigger transfer bar first, the mag safety can be pulled out along with the spring that powers it. Reinstall the trigger bar and you are back in business.

Here is link to a good description of how the dis-connector works, look at it and you will see what I am describing.

http://guntalk-online.com/Model41maintenance.htm#magdisconnect

Good luck.

Edited by Steelshooter

Thats way to easy. I always thought the mag safety lever pin held something else together.

Thanks.

If you remove the trigger transfer bar first, the mag safety can be pulled out along with the spring that powers it. Reinstall the trigger bar and you are back in business.

Here is link to a good description of how the dis-connector works, look at it and you will see what I am describing.

http://guntalk-online.com/Model41maintenance.htm#magdisconnect

Good luck.

After doing this modification on my pistol (a mid 1993 gun) with after market stocks. The trigger bar did not reset reliably. To much side play.

I put the magazine safety lever back, without the spring. Gives just enough side support to keep the trigger bar in the right place. Works fine now.

The reason for this modification, if I get a round hung in the chamber that won't extract when I rack the slide to clear the weapon.

Now its easy to just shoot it out without a empty magazine to activate the lever.

yes the mag safety bar does hold the trigger bar in place and keeps it from ridding on the wood grip. The most common fix that I know of is to drill a small -very small roll pin trough it into the frame.

The best thing is to live with it as is.

I have shot the 41 for over 14 years in STC. To make the Slide lock engagment area of the slide last longer = do not use the slide Release lever to drop the slide any more than you have to. The bottom of the slide / breach block will wear over so that the slide will not lock open any more.

STC uses a (open bolt ) start in one of the events.