Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Determining proper entry fee for a "special" match?

Pro2AInPA

I'm organizing a steel challenge match to benefit the wounded warrior project, a charity for wounded combat veterans.

We are looking at multiple thousands of dollars worth of prizes for division winners. 5 stages of steel plus a shotgun side match (1 LONG stage).

I'm planning on $25 per division for the steel challenge match and $10 for the shotgun side match.

Do these fees sound reasonable? Too low? Too high?

I'm organizing a steel challenge match to benefit the wounded warrior project, a charity for wounded combat veterans.

We are looking at multiple thousands of dollars worth of prizes for division winners. 5 stages of steel plus a shotgun side match (1 LONG stage).

I'm planning on $25 per division for the steel challenge match and $10 for the shotgun side match.

Have you budgeted your costs for running the match? I'm assuming the club owns steel -- but paint, lumber to replace shot up posts, water if it's a summer time match, lunch for ROs, does the club require a fee for use of the range, are you planning on T-shirts or hats?

Once you have your projected costs, and an idea of what kind of funds you want to raise/donate, and have an idea of your projected attendance (both mimimum to hold the match or break even, and maxiumum number of shooters you can accommodate on the range), you'll be better able to figure on entry fees....

Discounts for junior shooters? Discount for re-entry?

Have you budgeted your costs for running the match? I'm assuming the club owns steel -- but paint, lumber to replace shot up posts, water if it's a summer time match, lunch for ROs, does the club require a fee for use of the range, are you planning on T-shirts or hats?

Once you have your projected costs, and an idea of what kind of funds you want to raise/donate, and have an idea of your projected attendance (both mimimum to hold the match or break even, and maxiumum number of shooters you can accommodate on the range), you'll be better able to figure on entry fees....

Discounts for junior shooters? Discount for re-entry?

Zero cost for steel. GT targets is lending us 5 stages worth of steel and stands for the day.

We have lots of paint and lumber in the clubhouse.

We will be selling water and food for a small profit (kitchen on site in the clubhouse)

No fee to use the range.

Only shirts we are planning are for match staff.

We anticipate 100 shooters. It's the most we're comfortable accomodating, so we're capping it there. Although, we could do a two day format to be able to welcome twice the number of shooters . . .

Not planning discounts for juniors or re entries. It's $25 per gun, up to two guns. $50 for two chances to win some amazing prices is fair. ;)

I really like the idea of giving a prize to each division winner and having a raffle for the rest. I think I'll use it.

Edited by Pro2AInPA

I would keep the fee reasonable (and I think $25 is) but if it's for a charity I would put it on as "minimum match fee $25, donations above that encouraged and appreciated" or something like that.

Have a donation bucket would be a good idea. We did something like this at our local match. We had a toys for tots steel challenge match where all proceeds went to buy kids toys. We had people show up with toys, pay for the match (which went to buy toys), then donate to the buck to buy more toys!!! cheers.gif

Looks like you've thought it through and covered the bases.....

John makes a good suggestion -- encourage donations from those who can swing it. If $25/gun works, that seems reasonable for the area, and actually might help you reach your goal of filling the match....

I would keep the fee reasonable (and I think $25 is) but if it's for a charity I would put it on as "minimum match fee $25, donations above that encouraged and appreciated" or something like that.

At our Toys for Tots Match in Columbia SC, I have shooters make checks payable to the Charity - that way it was a tax deductible contribution for them & they were more generous. We get a few checks for $200 & $100, as well as a significant number who add $10 to $20 to the suggested fee. Like the original poster of this thread, we have very few expenses. Our food vendor donates a portion of his proceeds to the match, which helps defray the minimal expenses we do incur.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

That sounds pretty darn cheap. I shot a benefit IDPA match for ~$100. Of course they have more expense in targets, pasters, lunch, awards etc.. I would think you could ask for $40-$50 and probably still fill the match. Espcially if you advertise potential prizes and what not. Save a couple bigger prizes for a raffle and sell tickets for more money.

..."minimum match fee $25, donations above that encouraged and appreciated" ...
... make checks payable to the Charity - that way it was a tax deductible contribution for them & they were more generous. We get a few checks for $200 & $100, as well as a significant number who add $10 to $20 to the suggested fee...

Last Halloween, we ran a run & gun steel match at one of our local DFW ranges - all proceeds going to the Wounded Warrior Project.

We asked folks "in lieu of match fee, make a check for $20 payable to the Wounded Warrior Project". We didn't have a prize table.

Our experience was very similar to those mentioned above - many donations above the match entry fee - folks that couldn't attend sent checks too.

$25 minimum sounds fine. Hope you bust all your attendance goals. Fantastic charity.

Edited by joseywales