Cleated Shoes for USPSA Shooting

coframer

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

UA Hammer and Nike Landsharks for me. Both comfy and have good grip in pea gravel, mud, sand, grass, dirt. Choose the right height shoe for enough support! Our Academy has a blowout sale on cleats right now, may be worthwhile to check yours, if you have one closeby.

Have the landsharks here and they work fine. Not usually needed but we have a couple stages(1 in particular) that is a total mud pit if it has been wet at all out. Nice to be able to throw the mud covered shoes in a bag in the trunk and not have to worry about mud all over

New Inov-8 Bare-Grip 200

1330861-p-MULTIVIEW_THUMBNAILS.jpg

better pics

Looks promising, except for color.

Having had a lot of mesh-uppered trail running shoes, I can tell you that they're not great for lateral movement. Your foot will move on the bed and deflect the upper. Basically, your foot slips and then rolls as the shoe remains firmly dug in. Eventually you start moving.

If you're set on a shoe with a mesh upper, you'd want one with a strap of sturdier material going across the forefoot, at least for our purposes.

I went with the Inov-8 roclite 285's after some reading:

http://www.zappos.com/inov-8-roclite-285-red-slate

1088078-p-2x.jpg

1088078-3-2x.jpg

The terrain here is mostly hardpacked dirt, some gravel and some grass, these seem to provide plenty of traction regardless of the terrain. The great thing is that on something like a hardwood floor, theyre also extremely grippy.

Most importantly to me, with a bad back, is that theyre fairly comfortable to stand on all day. I remember soccer cleats from when I was a kid and how my feet just hated them even for an hour or two, the Invos are flexible, light, comfortable and have enough traction for anything around here short of a mud fest.

Just to clarify on the Five-Fingers - they really do work well for me, usually. In mud, they are wonderful, as you don't end up w. a build up on your shoes, and you have excellent feel, which makes it very easy to stand on fault lines, etc. Nor do I think I've slipped or stumbled in them.

They take a bit of getting used to, and if it's a rocky range, then my insteps just get too beat up, and I have to wear my lineman cleats.

They can also get a bit uncomfortable if you are shooting in small bays w. a bunch of production/other shooters who don't pick up their brass.

Just to clarify on the Five-Fingers - they really do work well for me, usually. In mud, they are wonderful, as you don't end up w. a build up on your shoes, and you have excellent feel, which makes it very easy to stand on fault lines, etc. Nor do I think I've slipped or stumbled in them.

They take a bit of getting used to, and if it's a rocky range, then my insteps just get too beat up, and I have to wear my lineman cleats.

They can also get a bit uncomfortable if you are shooting in small bays w. a bunch of production/other shooters who don't pick up their brass.

ive thought about using five fingers but theres just too much old brass and small rocks lying around.

I've tried Landsharks as well as other cleats and have settled on New balance trail runners. They have an extremely aggressive sole that works well on most everything as well as being light and comfortable. Also, they offer them in large sizes. I wear 14 4E. The fact that NB has these options is nice for those of us with big-ass feet.

Hope that helps.

Cheers623

DVC

Where in the Seattle area would you find these? Thanks

ive thought about using five fingers but theres just too much old brass and small rocks lying around.

The KSO Trek five fingers has a thicker treaded sole. Good grip and enough protection to run over brass or rocks.

• 5 weeks later...

Three matches in now with the Innov-8 Mudclaw 333, and I absolutely love them. They are comfortable to wear all day long, which I definitely cannot say about the Nike Land Sharks they replaced (but they did cost about 3x more). Today was extremely sloppy and muddy and I had no issues with footing. Even when wet, they seemed to still have good grip on wood decking.

-Steve

As long as its dry out I would go with Adidas Sambas, I used them for semi pro paintball and for not having cleats on them they work as good if not better than the Nike or Underarmor cleats that I tried and were by far the lightest and most comfy shoes I have ever worn. http://www.shopadidas.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2007318

I just got these

http://www.shopadidas.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4477450&cp=3748174.3748186.3748266.3778628.2012801.2006448&cid=G44522&shopGroup=R

adidas Kanadia TR 3 Summer Shoes

it's half way between my old nike land sharks and a regular trail running shoe,

comfortable to wear all day, good grip on various surfaces, and they got them in 4E if you got luau feet like me

New Inov-8 Bare-Grip 200

1330861-p-MULTIVIEW_THUMBNAILS.jpg

better pics

Looks promising, except for color.

Having had a lot of mesh-uppered trail running shoes, I can tell you that they're not great for lateral movement. Your foot will move on the bed and deflect the upper. Basically, your foot slips and then rolls as the shoe remains firmly dug in. Eventually you start moving.

If you're set on a shoe with a mesh upper, you'd want one with a strap of sturdier material going across the forefoot, at least for our purposes.

I know exactly what you are talking about from other trail shoes and have yet to experience it with any of my mesh-uppered Inov-8s, even when sopping wet. Probably the most comfortable performance shoes I have ever worn that still perform. Keep in mind there are different ways of lacing for more top foot stability. You really should give them a try if you are looking for a more breathable, super lightweight, grippy shoe.

Fun Fact #1: The number given after each Inov-8 model name is the weight of that shoe in grams for a size 9. For example, the BareGrip 200 only weighs 200grams in a size 9.

The Mudclaws, Roclites and Terrocs all fit and work well for me for what we do. The Mudclaw 270 being my favorite thus far :cheers:

• 3 months later...

I've been using the Innov-8 Talon 212 for a couple of months and have been very happy with them. Nice and light with an outstanding grip. My favorite local match has just about every surface type you can imagine and so far they have handled every one.

Not cheap, but my feet not hurting at the end of the match is worth it.