Cleated Shoes for USPSA Shooting

coframer

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do not use cleats at all. I use Adidas ATSs.

I was told was a climbers approach shoe (sneaker). They have a really aggressive sole with deep channels and the sole also extends beyond the structure of the shoe itself in the heel. I feel that they are better for when I am on props such as bridges and are more comfortable on realy hard packed dirt. I would say they lose out a little to the cleats in a wet grass/unstable ground area.

around here near St. Louis, we have a Famous Footwear chain of shoe stores. They are having a buy one get the second pair half off deal...according to their website this is the last week for it:

http://www.famousfootwear.com/

but a couple of years ago when I bought my Nike Landsharks, they had the same deal going on. I wish I had bought two pair of the Landsharks back then, especially for two day major matches. I use the Columbia brand hiking or trail shoe for IDPA:

FF_iA15079.jpg

I also use some Hi-Tech boots:

http://www.zappos.com/hi-tec-altitude-iv-black?zfcTest=prodPage2a:1

• 3 weeks later...

Nike Landsharks. I also have a pair of Rawlings soccer shoes that work very well out here. Cheap too.

I needed some new shoes so I did my usual, hit up Shoe Carnival. Got my Nike Airs for $49 and got a second pair of shoes half off! What did I get? Picke me up a pair of Nike Landsharks for $20 with the discount.

Joe W.

• 4 months later...

I have had the Nike land sharks and Under Armour Hammer shoes in the past. Somebody decided they needed the landsharks more than I did so they walked away. I then picked up the Hammer shoes and they were fantastic. They are now however warn out. So I went looking for a replacement set.

I ended up picking up a set of Mizuno 9 spike BLAST molded all terrain shoes in Racing RED. These feel just like a tennis shoe. They weigh 14oz and I expect they will do a great job in all different types of terrain.

They are worth a look-see.

Edited by Zerwas

I haven't had the opportunity to use them yet, but I'm trying out some Landsharks this season at the first outdoor match. I've never fallen during a stage but have slipped during a walk-through. It made me think.

landsharks are for skinny feet shaped like a "C" If you have wider rectangular feet about the only thing that will fit right are adidas turf football cleats. I had to order them because most stores only stock tiny foriegn kid soccer cleats,

Me: I need some cleats,

Clerk: what for ?

Me: Shooting

Clerk: You need cleats for shooting?

Me: Nope need cleats for stopping before I shoot,

Clerk: well we have all these skinny kid cleats,

Me: you got any big fat guy cleats ?

Clerk: unnmm no hah haha haha, they dont buy cleats,

Me: Oh yeh ever heard of an offensive lineman?

Edited by Joe4d

Anyone make something in XXXX wide?

TIA

Richard

New balance makes a trail running shoe with an aggressive tread pattern, they also come in wide widths. Sometimes you can find last years model cheap at one of those BOGO shoe stores at a mall

Me: I need some cleats,

Clerk: what for ?

Me: Shooting

Clerk: You need cleats for shooting?

Me: Nope need cleats for stopping before I shoot,

Clerk: well we have all these skinny kid cleats,

Me: you got any big fat guy cleats ?

Clerk: unnmm no hah haha haha, they dont buy cleats,

Me: Oh yeh ever heard of an offensive lineman?

:roflol: -I've had the same conversation - almost word for word.

INOV-8 MUDCLAWS any model!!!! Nothing better on the market yet. I still don't understand why cleats dominate this sport with how little turf or few baseball diamonds we shoot on. In fact, I can't really recall the last time I ran a stage with similar terrain to either one.

edit: The new INOV-8 OROCs look promising also, haven't tried them personally yet.

Edited by fleshoid

Been using Nike Land Sharks for the last few years; our local range used to have loose dirt so I would always be slipping with the running shoes I used to use. I may try some aggressive sole hiking shoes when these wear out.

When I bought my Sharks at Sports Authority, the clerk asked me what sport I needed them for. She gave me a quizical WTH look when I told her for shooting. :goof:

• 2 weeks later...

Another one for the Adidas Turf Hog. Light weight, and on top of having great traction in everything from loose dusty desert terrain to hard packed dirt, they're also very comfortable.

Got mine on clearance a couple years ago for playing softball. Never really used them, so when I got into shooting, they seemed perfect.

5103385G0JL.jpg

When I went to buy cleats, they had the UA hammers and addis turf hogs on sale. Couldn't decide between the two so I bought em both. Wear the hammers more.

Edited by Hammar

Does anyone make a trail runner or moderate cleat in 4E size?

It looks like I am at least the 3rd or 4th person to ask that.

The only trail runner style shoes in 4E are New Balance. The tread doesn't look too aggressive on them but it's hard to judge.

I bought the Nike 4E trail runnerish shoes & the toe box is too small.

A 4E New Balance built on an RL-3 last will have plenty of room. You might want to check out the other shoes built on lasts with a wide toe box, too. (Okay, weird. I just checked the descriptions of the lasts, and now NB's listing the RL-3 as having a standard toe box. I hope they didn't change that.)

I normally look for shoes with a wide toe box and even then get them in 2E+. With RL-3 shoes, I get 'em in D and they're dang near perfect. (I sure hope that NB hasn't funked that up. Grrrr....)

NB RL-3 shoes: http://www.shopnewbalance.com/category.asp?type=MNFT&showDetails=no&filterSize=&filterWidth=&filterLast=RL-3&perPg=48&sortBy=POP

I have the 573s and they've got a relatively aggressive tread pattern.

I was just in at Sports Authority looking for combo cleats. My 5-yearold is starting soccer and I can't practice very well wearing Hiking boots or cowboy boots. Having an odd sized foot (8-1/2 F) I found that a size 10 wide Landshark Mid height fit me well. Now I have to take the dremmel to the toe lugs to make them legal for soccer :devil:

We shal see how they do. By the Way, I paid $45 for the Mids while they had regular tops for $19, but you had to ask for them.

I've tried Landsharks as well as other cleats and have settled on New balance trail runners. They have an extremely aggressive sole that works well on most everything as well as being light and comfortable. Also, they offer them in large sizes. I wear 14 4E. The fact that NB has these options is nice for those of us with big-ass feet.

Hope that helps.

Cheers623

DVC

I have been using the Adidas Terrex Swift low for 2 years now and love them

here is the mid:

Addidas Terrex Swift Mid

New version that I am going to be checking out real soon

Adidas Terrex Fast X FM

Big difference is the Swift version has weatherproofing and keeps your feet dry as long as you are not in water above your ankles.

The Terrex Fast does not but is a lighter shoe

I have plantar faciitis real bad (have had surgery on the left foot, and have been putting it off on the right) and with the Terrex Swift I can make it through a match and not worry about having my orthodics in them.