Cleated Shoes for USPSA Shooting

coframer

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What type of cleated shoe would be good for shooting. I've been shooting USPSA lately and nearly ate it a couple of times in my tennis shoes. What is a comfortable cleated shoe to wear? Thanks.

Try looking at baseball cleats. Stay away from the ones with any metal spikes or hard plastic ones. I prefer the hard rubberized cleat bottoms. Should get about 1-2 years out of them assuming you shoot every weekend. Nike or Underarmor.

I chose the UnderArmor for 2 reasons. #1, they felt more comfortable on my feet. #2, I liked the paddle style cleat under the ball of the foot instead of a spike style. I think it will give better traction in fine to medium gravel and sand, which is about 75% of what I regularly shoot in.

There is a shoe outlet chain here called nearly perfect shoes. Not sure what type cleats mine are, they have small round stud looking things evenly all across the bottom. I bought them for $18 and have been wearing them for over 10 years. You don't have to spend a lot of money. Check the mission and used clothing stores first. Then if you shoot a match like Tulsa last year, chunk them in the trash(or the parking lot) as you leave, lol

Let me comment real quick;

I started out with Nike Landshark mids and really liked them. They are aggressive and will provide great traction. This year I switched to Adidas Turfhogs and I love them! VERY comfortable and work great for smooth surfaces also. Cleats and plywood can be a nasty combo. The Turfhogs have more of a rubber dimple setup, which in my opinion, gives better all around traction control.

Just my 2 cents.

I have been using the Nike Landsharks and have found them to be uncomfortable during long matches. Traction is great, but I don't think the pading is there and they are rather narrow. After about four hours they start to become uncomfortable. Just my 2 cents.

+1 for Adidas corner blitz. Academy always have them on sale for around $20. I chose them because they're light and tough, but there's a lot out there to chose from. Pick one that's comfortable and yet with enough teeth to tackle any range any weather.

I was getting ready to order the Landsharks when I stopped by my local sporting good store. They had a set of Reebok Play dry in my size for $20 on clearance...problem solved. They are quite comfortable.

Edited by Rivr_runnr

• 3 months later...

I started using a pair of Nike Keystone 3/4. Those things are extremely comfortable and I really like how flexible the soles are on those shoes and they feel like a comfy pair of slippers on my feet. It's nice to shoot and not worry about my feet hurting.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a pair of North Face Hedgehogs,...great traction on all surfaces, but I limit it to outdoors. Oakley tan tacticals for indoors on concrete (I wear these a lot for everyday usage), and just got some Nike Landsharks mids. I like the landsharks, but I think the usage would be limited to sand, small gravel, and mud. (and the odd stage where there might be grass). I would prefer anything with a lot of ankle support, due to previous breakage.

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted something with a flexible sole and lots of grip even on wet plywood ramps, mud, gravel, whatever. Cleats didn't cut it. I tried the Salomon Speed Cross 2, very comfortable, great lacing system, no way the laces could trip you or hang up on anything but I wanted an even more aggressive tread and grip for gravel. Started doing more research and ended up with the Inov-8 Mudclaw 270(weight in grams). Comfortable from the start, very light in weight, flexible and amazing grip on any terrain I have tried. Even shooting in the rain was no problem. Although watching everybody wearing cleats slip and slide down the wet plywood ramps was great to watch, kinda like an almost car crash. What I did like was even when wet they didn't become waterlogged and heavy. Ugly but so are most cleats. I believe the 270 has been replaced by the 272, still ugly and only 2 grams heavier. No break-in period with either shoe, very comfortable, my Mudclaws and Speed Cross 2s are both still holding up well(12-13 months on the Speed Cross and about 6 on the Mudclaws).

See ugly but

functional here

Zappos Views

Salomon

Edited by fleshoid

I use Vasque trail runners. Deep lugs, sticky sole, made for running, turning, etc. They work well for me at all the ECO matches- sand, sticky mud, loose gravel.

+1 with gore tex. I also wear Merrell's, but they keep changing the sole pattern. I find one I like, then they discontinue it after a season.

The Vasque are nice and are holding up well.