Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Sear deactivation lever

Racer377

So I'm looking at this sear assembly, and I can't really see a reason that this deactivation lever NEEDS to be in there, if one doesn't mind pulling the trigger like a Glock for disassembly. Am I missing something? I'm not seeing any topics on this here, so that's telling me this is likely a dumb question and I'm missing something obvious, but can't seem to figure out why.

Edited by Racer377

So I'm looking at this sear assembly, and I can't really see a reason that this deactivation lever NEEDS to be in there, if one doesn't mind pulling the trigger like a Glock for disassembly. Am I missing something? I'm not seeing any topics on this here, so that's telling me this is likely a dumb question and I'm missing something obvious, but can't seem to figure out why.

Just pulling the trigger works just fine.

It was placed in there by an attorney.

I'm an attorney that wants to take it out!

lol.

I'm a 1L sitting in my Legislation, Statutory Interpretation, and the Administrative State class and want to take it out.

I'm an attorney that wants to take it out!

lol.

I'm a 1L sitting in my Legislation, Statutory Interpretation, and the Administrative State class and want to take it out.

Prof doesn't cold call?

He does. I multitask well... and have a good rapport and am sitting ~10' away from him.

It's been removed on both of my competition M&Ps. I left it in my carry gun because of you attorneys.

If you are doing a trigger job, and screw something up so that you can't release the sear it would be a problem, otherwise it's just another part that could potentially cause something to go wrong.

I want to know who's responsible for the striker block being installed UNDER the rear sight. That's even dumber than a sear lever.

I never use it. Lock slide open. Flip takedown lever and release forward. Hold in correct position to get gun into battery. Dryfire and grab the cleaning kit.

I'll have to try that. I can remember reading about this back when the M&P was making its way on the gun forums, but I've always just used the lever. I can get it with my pinky finger nail, but I can see it being a pain for guys with bigger hands.

I want to know who's responsible for the striker block being installed UNDER the rear sight. That's even dumber than a sear lever.

Smith & Wesson has been putting firing pin blocks under the rear sight for years. Long before the M&P was introduced.

1) Make sure the gun is unloaded.

2) Repeat step 1.

3) Repeat step 2.

4) Pull the trigger and slide the slide off...

5) Clean

Easy.

My "frame tool" hasn't bee out of the gun since I installed my large grip inserts...

Jeff

I never use it. Lock slide open. Flip takedown lever and release forward. Hold in correct position to get gun into battery. Dryfire and grab the cleaning kit.

I'll have to try that. I can remember reading about this back when the M&P was making its way on the gun forums, but I've always just used the lever. I can get it with my pinky finger nail, but I can see it being a pain for guys with bigger hands.

I dont want my finger anywhere near the barrel/breechface if the slide closes accidentally :surprise: . I'll just keep pulling the trigger on a tripple checked empty chamber.

Smith & Wesson has been putting firing pin blocks under the rear sight for years. Long before the M&P was introduced.

So you're saying they haven't learned from their mistakes? roflol.gif

So you're saying they haven't learned from their mistakes? roflol.gif

Wow. I guess. It's taken me a LONG time to look at any pistol made by S&W. I couldn't believe the block was under the rear sight. I didn't even want to ask the question on the forums because I thought I'd get laughed at for such a foolish idea.

What's wrong with the striker block where it is? I've had mine out like 6 times in the last week and it never causes a problem.

You must be more coordinated than me. I need 3 hands to install the rear sight, compress the spring and keep the little disc in place.

Talon Tactical M&P Rear Sight Tool

This simple tool holds the M&P firing pin plunger cap and spring in place while changing rear sights turning a frustrating 3 hand procedure into a simple one person job.

TalonTacticalSightTool.jpg

When I talked to a Smith and Wesson rep right after the M&P came out, he said that when they designed the gun, they wanted to correct any perceived shortcomings that LE people found with the Glock. One shortcoming was the need to pull the trigger before disassembly. SOMEtimes SOME officers would pull the trigger as step one, resulting in noise, excitement, damage, embarrassment, etc. So, the deactivation lever is a work around for that. Seems like some of Smith's sales literature touts this feature in that manner. Yes, I know that training is a work around for that, too, I'm just telling you what the sales rep at the armorer's course said and I know at least two people that have "cleared" their guns for cleaning in the loud, damaging, and bloody manner. So, I don't think it was the lawyers (the did the lock on the revolvers, blame them for ruining them), it was the people that want to take back Glock's market share.

When I talked to a Smith and Wesson rep right after the M&P came out, he said that when they designed the gun, they wanted to correct any perceived shortcomings that LE people found with the Glock. One shortcoming was the need to pull the trigger before disassembly. SOMEtimes SOME officers would pull the trigger as step one, resulting in noise, excitement, damage, embarrassment, etc. So, the deactivation lever is a work around for that. Seems like some of Smith's sales literature touts this feature in that manner. Yes, I know that training is a work around for that, too, I'm just telling you what the sales rep at the armorer's course said and I know at least two people that have "cleared" their guns for cleaning in the loud, damaging, and bloody manner. So, I don't think it was the lawyers (the did the lock on the revolvers, blame them for ruining them), it was the people that want to take back Glock's market share.

That makes sense. Prior to the M&P, I'd heard more than a handful of people kvetching about having to pull the trigger to break Glocks down. Silly complaint, IMO, but I gues for some people it makes a difference. On one hand, I'm glad S&W was listening to what consumers wanted, but on the other hand, I'm disappointed they listened to the wrong people in the consumer base.

In any case, I'm gathering that it would be OK to remove it, so that's good.