Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

US Optics scope with 3-Gun reticle

Bear1142

The US Optics scope (SN4S 1x-4x) with the custom 3-Gun reticle is finalized and Chris Paty of CPWSA is now taking orders for the scopes.

I started this thread to answer any questions regarding the scope or the reticle. As soon as my scope arrives I will post some pics of the actual reticle.

Erik

Don't remember if it was ShootingUSA or Sighting In, (one of the Scoutten shows anyway), last night they did a piece on your scope and reticle design as part of their coverage of the USPSA 3 Gun Nationals. I liked the "nose to nose to 600 yard" reference. <_<

Don't remember if it was ShootingUSA or Sighting In, (one of the Scoutten shows anyway), last night they did a piece on your scope and reticle design as part of their coverage of the USPSA 3 Gun Nationals. I liked the "nose to nose to 600 yard" reference. <_<

I watched that epsiode too. It was coverage from the Nats there were in the last Front Sight magazine.

Edited by Corey

Optics are a subject I'm only starting to research, so pardon me if this question is in the "duh" category:

Since this is a rear focal plan reticle, do the range and windage holdoff marks only apply when on the 4x setting?

No, the advantage of the rear focal plane reticle is the consistent size of the reticle throughout the whole 1 x 4 power range. The reticle is appears the same size on 1x as well as on 4x. With a front focal plane reticle, which is the USO standard, at 1x you can hardly see the reticle at all.

I understand the reticle stays the same size, but that isn't what I was asking.

What I meant was, because the reticle stays the same size regardless of magnification, that means the target size changes relative to the reticle.

In other words, if you look at a target at 100 yards at 1x, the 10mph holdoff will represent a certain width downrange, for argument's sake lets say 3 feet. Crank it up to 4x, and doesn't that width change to something much smaller than 3 feet, since the target fills up more of the reticle?

If this is correct, which magnification is the yardage and windage set for (I would assume 4x)?

I didn't see the show last night, but I did record it. I'll check it out later tonight.

Rob,

You are correct. Since the reticle is in the RFP, the calibrated portion of the reticle only works on one magnification setting (4x.)

Erik

Seems logical to be that way anyway. either going to need 1x for close up targets or if yuo need to use the calibrated reticle for distance shots ( beyond 100). if im shooting beyond 100, im going to want to crank it to the 4 power anyway...

Pat,

Not sure about the 1-6, but USO has a 1.5-6x. Reticle already works for 77gr loads (@ 2,700 fps.) The 77's are only off 1 inch at 600 yards. As soon as my new one arrives I will take some daytime illumination picks for you.

Erik

I would rather have 1x on the low end than 1.5 but it sounds like they are on the right track. Thanks for informing me about the bullet drop between the two rounds. I prefer the heavier bullets and they are more common in the tactical world as well.

Pat