Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone shoot GSSF?

Pro2AInPA

I have been shooting GSSF since 1996. Our group Pistol People used to travel to between 5 and 10 matches per year. Then we discovered USPSA now I am down to about two Glock matches per year. I don't find them boring it is still a challenge to better you score. I also like my of the people I have meet during Glock matches and enjoy reconecting with them.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've RO'd the GSSF in Anniston for the last two years. Like other folks mentioned it's a great match to get someone started shooting competition (which was the idea behind it in the 1st place). They do give a way a bunch of pistols too... Keep in mind it's not USPSA and the "squading" works a little differently. They sign in at each stage and write the time down. Then when they decide they want to shoot the stage they put an "X" by their name. According to the RO directions, you're supposed to squad about 8 or 9 folks at a time. I follow it up to this point.

My problem with it was if two guys arrive at the same time to shoot the stage and X their names you can have issues. For example, if guy A got there first but guy B signed in earlier in the day then Guy B is supposed to get to shoot first. There were some that would sign in at 9:00 for five or six divisions and then disappear. One thing about these matches is a bunch of folks show up. The rush didn't lighten up until after lunch on Sat. It didn't seem fair to me that a guy patiently waiting to shoot could get bumped by a guy based on the first time they came by and not the time they came to actually shoot.

A word of advice, if you show up to shoot about 2:00 or 2:30 there's hardly a line. Another RO and myself shot the match Saturday afternoon when our stage slowed down. I think it took us about 10min counting the time walking between stages. If you get there early in the morning be prepared to do a lot of sitting. I was really surprised by the turn out and distance that some folks would travel to shoot the match.

I've RO'd the GSSF in Anniston for the last two years. Like other folks mentioned it's a great match to get someone started shooting competition (which was the idea behind it in the 1st place). They do give a way a bunch of pistols too... Keep in mind it's not USPSA and the "squading" works a little differently. They sign in at each stage and write the time down. Then when they decide they want to shoot the stage they put an "X" by their name. According to the RO directions, you're supposed to squad about 8 or 9 folks at a time. I follow it up to this point.

My problem with it was if two guys arrive at the same time to shoot the stage and X their names you can have issues. For example, if guy A got there first but guy B signed in earlier in the day then Guy B is supposed to get to shoot first. There were some that would sign in at 9:00 for five or six divisions and then disappear. One thing about these matches is a bunch of folks show up. The rush didn't lighten up until after lunch on Sat. It didn't seem fair to me that a guy patiently waiting to shoot could get bumped by a guy based on the first time they came by and not the time they came to actually shoot.

Sorry, you just hit my pet peeve about GSSF. Mod's if this is too close to a rant, feel free to edit this or just delete it. GSSF is not USPSA, things are done differently. GSSF has worked for a lot of years to get a squadding model that works for their matches, but it only takes one or two RO's a match to ruin it by not following directions. I've been shooting GSSF for about 12 years now. Long enough to have shot most of the squadding systems they've used, and most of them sucked. The current on is the best so far and it does work, but you have to follow directions. Is it fair to the shooter who got there at 9:00 AM, did what he was supposed to, signed up on all the stages and started shooting, that by the time he gets to his last stage he has to wait for 10 shooters who got there at 11:00 AM to shoot their first stage because they didn't follow directions and are still at their first stage? Also, when you "Squad" shooters, it's 8-12 entries, not 8-9 shooters. It's a critical difference. If you have two shooters with 5 entries each, that's your squad. 10 entries. If you have 8 shooters with 5 entries each, that 40 and that poor guy will never get to shoot. If you run 8-12 entries at a time your people waiting won't have to wait that long, and will get to shoot fairly quickly, even if the guy who showed up early goes in front of them. Glock does this to try and keep people from being there from 9-5 like they used to do in the late 90's. Show up early, you'll get out early. Show up late, it might take a while. Also be cautious about telling people to show up at 2 or 3. Some more lightly attended matches you may be able to get in and out quickly. Some of the busier matches, you might be there a long time.

Didn't mean to upset you and wasn't attacking GSSF's sqauding. You might want to re-read my post. I specifically said the it was not USPSA.

You're right I misspoke on the # of entries up at a time, my bad. I did follow Glock's rules on our stage with entry numbers, shooter order, etc. and didn't have too many issues. We were told multiple entry shooters could take two runs and then we needed to run someone else (ie not have one guy shoot all five of his runs at once). Additionally if they were shooting three divisions and none of the other shooter's minded we were told that three runs at once were o.k. I wasn't talking about people that showed up and didn't follow the rules. As far as I can remember most of the shooters signed in at the three stages the way they were supposed to.

I also did not take into account the number of shooters at other matches. Last year, the first GSSF match in AL (ever AFIK) there were about 235 shooters. This year that number was up to somewhere between 275-280.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry to revive a thread dead for nearly 3 months, but I just saw the results from my recent GSSF match were updated with "1 GUN PLACE" next to my name. I won a Glock.

SO, What Glocks is a winning certificate good for? I've read places that the certificate lists choices... what choices are typical?

Sorry to revive a thread dead for nearly 3 months, but I just saw the results from my recent GSSF match were updated with "1 GUN PLACE" next to my name. I won a Glock.

SO, What Glocks is a winning certificate good for? I've read places that the certificate lists choices... what choices are typical?

I finally got my certificates from a match I shot two months ago.

The certificate is good for one of the regular 9mm, ,40 or .357 models in full size, compact or sub. You can pay and upgrade fee and get one of the others. The fee depends on the gun.

G17 is straight up.

Gen4 G17 is a $35 upgrade.

G34/35 is $107.

The other models can vary as well, but the most expensive are the 34/35 at $107.

I love the gssf problem is there are very few matchs and they are very spread out. I wish it was more popular so that they would have more of them. I cna usuually only make one a year. would love to do 3 or 4 of them

• 2 months later...

I shot my first gssf match this weekend, and it looks like I won 3 guns! I like this game.

Nice work! 3 for 3 in your first GSSF match is a good start. Thanks for moving right up to Master so the rest of us have a chance at AmCiv!

Hey thanks again for letting me borrow your 34! Looks like I'll be getting my own now.

Nice work! 3 for 3 in your first GSSF match is a good start. Thanks for moving right up to Master so the rest of us have a chance at AmCiv!

Good shooting, especially in the rain.

My hats off also to the RO's who spent the whole day out there in stormy weather, especially the ones who had to go out to score the targets (I was lucky - spent most of the time sheltered while on the plate rack).

Good shooting, especially in the rain.

My hats off also to the RO's who spent the whole day out there in stormy weather, especially the ones who had to go out to score the targets (I was lucky - spent most of the time sheltered while on the plate rack).

You were running the paperwork like a master Kevin! I would rather score and tape in the rain than keep the shooters in order!

Good seeing you Kevin and thanks for making the drive to help!

• 2 months later...

You need a least 3 guns to shoot all the divisions but you'll do better with 4 or 5...

Not really. Someone double-check me, but I believe you can shoot every category with a G29 or G30. Not that those would be the ideal guns, but it does give the most flexibility for a single platform.

Personally, I prefer to switch guns as little as possible, but you're right that three guns would typically be what you would want to run. One for Stock & Competition, one for Sub and Major Sub, and one for Unlimited.

• 1 month later...

This is my third year of shooting the local GSSF matches (within 150 miles of home). They are different from the IDPA and USPSA matches I usally shoot but still challenging. They are a good format for new shooters but believe me, even experienced shooters find them challenging. It's all about accuracy and speed. Points down are costly! Where else can you shoot so many divisions in such a short amount of time, have fun doing it and have so many chances at winning guns and $$$. I can't think of any. This past weekend I got to shoot the Gen. 4 G17 I won at last years match. I'll continue shooting GSSF as long as they keep holding matches. Mal

• 6 months later...