Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A keeper?

usmc1974

wow, fun topic, this could go in many different directions, how are we 'defining' a 'keeper'??? how it shoots??? how well it fits in your hand??? your favorite caliber??? sentiment???(handed down to you by father/grandfather??) wow again im shaking my head, but i would have to say in these tough economic times the asnwer for me is no, yes even my open blasters are on the block ifthe price is right and i live in one of them non friendly big stick states...ive paid a few bills on selling my lil pile o' bullets that i thought i would never sell to people who cant seem to come up with any of late...just me helping outthe friends in need an promoting the sport

wow, fun topic, this could go in many different directions, how are we 'defining' a 'keeper'??? how it shoots??? how well it fits in your hand??? your favorite caliber??? sentiment???(handed down to you by father/grandfather??) wow again im shaking my head, but i would have to say in these tough economic times the asnwer for me is no, yes even my open blasters are on the block ifthe price is right and i live in one of them non friendly big stick states...ive paid a few bills on selling my lil pile o' bullets that i thought i would never sell to people who cant seem to come up with any of late...just me helping outthe friends in need an promoting the sport

a aa, yes :cheers:

i dont think any of my guns right now are "keepers". I love my 1911 and its shoots great, but if someone offers me $1500 for it....bye bye oldie, hello new gun! haha.

I sure there will be some guns from my father down the road that i wont want to sell for sentimental reasons. For me, thats about the only reason I can call a gun a "keeper" for me right now.

Yes.

I have one that I will never part ways with. I used to let people shoot him. Now, I won't let anyone handle him. And most of the time, I won't even let people look at him. The gun's name is Larry and he's more dependable than a lot of people I know.

Larry took a break from competition and vacationed in the safe for a year. I brought him out of retirement recently and will bring him with me to the Single Stack Classic.

As far as the others go, I don't really give a f*#k about them.

Winchester 101 in 20 guage.

Remington 3200 in 12 gauge.

My infinity .40 1911....

Benny Hill Caspian .45 race ready frame.

Springfield TRP operator, full rail.

S&W 15 snubby

686 snubby.

327 Jerry Miculek

Sako AV 300 win mag.

Can't see myself ever getting rid of those.

Keepers? Sure-

-the blackpowder rifle a gift from my troops when I left the 10th Mountain Division

-the 16 ga Model 12 Winchester I almost got an unassisted late season triple on Iowa roosters. It was two down and tail feathers on the third. It was also old Duke's last trip to Iowa. When I missed the third bird, Duke gave me that "idiot" look of disgust.

-the 16 ga sxs I've harvested a ton of birds with over the years

-the 25-2 blessed by Miculek. He did a laying on of hands on the revolver ;)

Dave

Edited by Airedale

I've got a winchester pump that was my great grandfathers

I have a .45 long colt that was given to me when my grandfather passed away.

I have my grandfathers colt Trooper II that he carried when he was a state trooper.

I have my Grandfather's Carry pistol a Springfield ultra compact.....and that is where it all started!

Sentimental guns are definitely keepers. I have my great grandfathers side by side 12ga shotgun with damascus barrels. I think it was a mail order sears gun. I also have my great grandmothers and his wife’s 410. It is an H&R.

I tend to build up a nice long range rifle...develop a match load...shoot some great groups, then sell it. It's an addiction. I try to do a build every winter, when the weather is nasty. I usually make some good CASH on these projects.

Pistols get traded from time to time, and the only one I really don't want to get rid of is the Model 41. Everything else is for sale at times, or when I get tired of shooting one particular pistol, and get the urge to try something new.

Side by side from Great grandfather on.

Side by side from Great Great grandfather.

WWI trainer very low serial # model 12 winchester from great uncle.

Pre 64 model 70 in .308 from great uncle.

Savage 99 in 300 savage from my grandfather.

788 Remington 22-250 from my father.

My first true custom built custom serial # pistol from Freedom Gunworks.

I used to think I had a few "keepers" that I would never let get away, there gone now. Once I started shooting Steel, USPSA, and IDPA, I realized that my old arsenal just wasn't cutting it. Right now my only keeper is a Winchester Model 12 that my grandfather won at a fair when he was 16.

• 2 weeks later...

I always say that about the next gun I buy? But....seriously I got an old Model 25 Pump that wad my grandfathers that I was thinking about getting totally redone for my dad (it was his dad's) but it is a relatively heavy gun and it seems as though we are both too busy to enjoy

hunting ad much as we used to?

I always say that about the next gun I buy? But....seriously I got an old Model 25 Pump that wad my grandfathers that I was thinking about getting totally redone for my dad (it was his dad's) but it is a relatively heavy gun and it seems as though we are both too busy to enjoy

hunting ad much as we used to?

Just to stir the pot a bit,,Is any gun really a, a keeper? :wacko::devil: I know I said it once or twice. :roflol:

no-brainer, yes.

That is a nice looking piece. I guess I just don't have much sentimental value, and I can't buy a gun just to look at. I get pictures for that, a gun wants to shot. I too buy'em, build'em, shoot'em then sell them off and start over. I only have about 30 guns total, I know guys that have close to that many in one safe.

This was a very hard to find Para Ordnance SSP SS 38 super match barrl/bushing, trigger guard under cut and ultra high hand checked 20lpi FO sight SA magwell and grips is it a keeper ? I dought it.

post-7365-127177252263_thumb.jpg

Yes.

I have one that I will never part ways with. I used to let people shoot him. Now, I won't let anyone handle him. And most of the time, I won't even let people look at him. The gun's name is Larry and he's more dependable than a lot of people I know.

Larry took a break from competition and vacationed in the safe for a year. I brought him out of retirement recently and will bring him with me to the Single Stack Classic.

As far as the others go, I don't really give a f*#k about them.

Great now I have to go upstairs and ponder over what I'm going to name my guns.

I think most of us would part with our prized toys if the money was right. :devil::devil: For the right price I'd be willing to sell any piece of hardware in my little arsenal except for the S&W Model 10 my dad gave me and my old Glock 22 duty gun, both of which are going to be passed down to my sons.

For my high school graduation my father gave me a brand new Beretta Silver Pigeon II 20ga O/U. He went looking at guns all around the city just to find the one with the perfect wood grain. Since the first time I picked it up, I knew it was meant to fit me. It just seems like a part of my body. It has seen many days out in the field and back at the range, and it has never let me down. That gun is definitely a keeper.

Cutter