Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nitrocarburizing a rifle bbl

kgunz11

OK. This looks like the post I have been looking for!

Now, just to test the cliché that there is no such thing as a stupid question: is melonite treatment the same process as having a barrel nitrided?

I'd done a few hours of research online with respect to nitride treatment of rifle barrels, and assumed that it was a new idea. I made some inquiries with a gentleman by the name of Dave Crandall (a pretty well-known Palma shooter, and certifiable genius-type guy) and he'd looked into it years ago and seemed surprisingly unimpressed.

Nitriding seems like the ticket for extending barrel life. An AR-15 company called Loki Weapons Systems is offering nitrided barrels straight from the factory.

Anyway, let's start with the question whether melonite and nitride are different names for the same process and go from there.

Great post!! Thanks.

I've got a .243WSSM Model70. Would this treatment be a good thing for that barrel?

You might check the link I posted above. The cartridge you mention is pretty tough on barrels. The treatment at issue in this thread might be just the ticket--depending on how many rounds you have down the tube.