Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old Race Guns

outerlimits

Cool thread; I remember watching Rob Leatham shoot at Hallsville in May 1988, and growing up in central Missouri, many of my shooting buddies got to shoot with Ray Chapman and Ed Brown. My first race gun came from George Huening @ WCPI in Indianapolis in 1990, a single stack .38 Super with dual port compensator.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was using this up till March 2011. PDP3 and all It's an old P9 built by Jomag circa 1992 in California. Now 9x19, previously 9x21

8e68d750.jpg

Today I have a more modern pistol, a little bit old school. Using Para Frame now. in 9 major :cheers:

I had one also from JoMag. He ended up getting in a arguement in some bar in the PI and was killed! What a shame....

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just found this one in the spring of this year and don't know a whole lot about it. It is a Tripp Research frame, unknown slide, nowlin barrel,and I believe EGW fire control parts. The grip was butchered when I got it so I did my best to save it and stippled it.

When I got it in its old school glory:post-40901-0-68598300-1379166547_thumb.j

And after a little updating:post-40901-0-64186700-1379166738_thumb.j

Soon I plan to go a little further with a PT aluminum grip, svi trigger, EE ignition set and a new top end in 9mm.

• 3 years later...
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2010 at 2:36 PM, Early IPSC'er said:

compensator gunsmiths:

Steve Nastoff, Michael Plaxco, Richard Watson, Frank Behlert, ? (sorry, don't remember), Eddie Brown.

Without a doubt, the finest smith in the group was Nastoff---it wasn't even close, second was Watson.

In the very early days (pre-76 Columbia conference) the three finest pistolsmiths acknowledged as first echelon were Armand Swenson, Jim Hoag, and the Pachmayr shop. Almost EVERY top shooter shot one of these and virtually every top tourney was won with one. In the late 70's and very early 80's a second and third tier of smiths started to materialize. The only ones left in the business today were third tier in those days (Wilson, Baer and Brown). The second tier were guys that built guns as functionally AND COSMETICALLY as good as the top three---they were Nastoff, Craig Wetstein (ex-Pahmayr guy), Richard Heinie and Don Fisher. Few people remember Fisher---Seyfried occassionally used a Fisher gun and Bill Wilson once said that if he didn't build his own guns, he'd use a Fisher gun. The third tier guys built great functional guns, but if you look at an early 80's Wilson/Baer/Brown gun it's finish work is no where near as good as the 2nd tier guys. The fourth tier were guys like Behlert, Jimmy Clark and Mike Plaxco--all of whom built great functional guns but were pretty rough if you looked closely at them.

Nice to see this post, though I am about seven years late, lol. So, beginning my membership here with bumping up ancient threads. Below is a Colt 1911 set from Jim Hoag, which you kindly mentioned as first echelon in this 2010 post. I worked for Jim from 1978 until 1985, and took the pic below on my last visit to his shop in early 2016. He has now closed the doors and is in retirement. But here is a matched set, a glimpse of the work he did during the days when Ron Lerch and Mickey Fowler were winning the first Bianchi Cup matches with Jim Hoag pistols.

20160301_140837%201280x1095_zpseenfij7l.

On May 4, 2017 at 8:50 PM, LuckyNo13 said:

Nice to see this post, though I am about seven years late, lol. So, beginning my membership here with bumping up ancient threads. Below is a Colt 1911 set from Jim Hoag, which you kindly mentioned as first echelon in this 2010 post. I worked for Jim from 1978 until 1985, and took the pic below on my last visit to his shop in early 2016. He has now closed the doors and is in retirement. But here is a matched set, a glimpse of the work he did during the days when Ron Lerch and Mickey Fowler were winning the first Bianchi Cup matches with Jim Hoag pistols.

20160301_140837%201280x1095_zpseenfij7l.

Very cool that you worked for Hoag----that's quite a feather in your cap-----a lot of people aren't aware that Ray Chapman won the first world IPSC shoot in Austria with a Hoag 1911---- his Pachmayr Combat Special that he made famous was an award for winning the match IIRC.

• 1 year later...
32 minutes ago, bigboy69 said:

45ACP from the days of shooting pins. I may convert this over to a steel gun. A little bigger diameter bullet increases your odds a slight bit.......Who knows.

RaceReadyBB.jpg

RaceReady1AA.jpg

Nice! built on a Safari Arms frame, definitely old school there.  I fitted an old Colt Ace conversion to one of my SA frames like that, very distinct.

1 hour ago, Intel6 said:

Nice! built on a Safari Arms frame, definitely old school there.  I fitted an old Colt Ace conversion to one of my SA frames like that, very distinct.

Thats actually an old Caspian frame with factory finger groove.  HAHA! That gun has AT LEAST, AT LEAST, 15,000 rounds through it and was built 20yrs ago or more and is still tight as hell!!!  The only thing I changed was the comp. and I had the slide EDM lightened.  And the grip safety is still working. I do have to change that.

Edited by bigboy69

• 1 year later...
On 5/14/2017 at 7:07 PM, Early IPSC'er said:

PS Micky, Steve Blankenbiller and I used to shoot ground squirrels from the steps of Steve's mobile home before he and Mike Dalton built up the property. We wanted to keep the squirrels away from our horses kept on Steve's place.