Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ-USA Model 712 Utility

I gave my son a CZ for Christmas. He is just getting into 3-gun. Put the Nordic mag extension to make it 8 plus 1. We smoothed out any rough spots on the barrel and chamber. It had very few spots that needed anything. Good quality from the factory. Cut the Nordic mag spring to about 15" beyond the end of the mag tube. We shot about 100 rounds today and it functioned perfect. Not one hiccup or problem. Used the mod choke and shot 6" steel plates on the plate rack back to about 25 yds and knocked them down hard. We were shooting 3 1/4 dram -- 1 oz.--7 1/2 Federal shells.

Does not like the Fiocci low recoil slugs. Would not eject them. Tried some Brennecke Reduced recoil Home defense slugs and they shot and ejected fine. At 50 yards they hit point of aim. I really like this shotgun and the price was right. Around $500 with the Nordic parts. We may put a recoil pad on it, but even the recoil was not bad. He will shoot it in our next 3-gun and see what happens.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad the boy liked it!

frank there are some tricks to get the CZ to shoot light loads, most will run the 3 1/4 dram without issue but to get it to shoot lower dram loads your gonna have to do some work! pretty easy work as long as you don't think about it! I find several beers help LOL I've had some higher powers speak with Angus at CZ about lighter springs and the such but they don't seem to have them and I've yet to find the time to get some made so Mr. Dremel has helped on several shotguns around my area. Later,

Kirk

We decided after installing the Nordic mag tube that he could use 1 more shell. In several of the matches we shoot you can load as many as the gun will hold. I ordered the XXL tube cap and we can now get 9 in the tube and 1 in the chamber. Still had room for about a half of a shell and still loaded the dummy rounds easily and ejected them fine. For what it is worth.

gerritm

Yes, you can ghost load the lifter. I just haven't figured out the exact way to do it. That will give us another round so, 9 in the mag, 1 on the lifter, and 1 in the chamber. Just need to figure out the correct order to do it. At several of the matches we start cruiser ready, so no shell in the chamber, but 1 on the lifter. This will work out and give a couple of extras to start.

gerritm

gerritm, so you got the shotgun all going and given to the boy BUT where's the picture? dude we need some pics of the shotgun :-) Later,

Kirk

Pictures are coming. Adding 1 more thing to it. I have a new stock coming from CZ. It's an Akita adjustable stock. Once that is installed I will post pix.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/stocks/55-akita-adjustable-stock.html

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

gerritm, so you got the shotgun all going and given to the boy BUT where's the picture? dude we need some pics of the shotgun :-) Later,

Kirk

Pictures are coming. Adding 1 more thing to it. I have a new stock coming from CZ. It's an Akita adjustable stock. Once that is installed I will post pix.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/stocks/55-akita-adjustable-stock.html

gerritm

So here is the finished product we built for my son.

CZ712U

Nordic plus4 tube with xxl cap, teflon follower, nut, and barrel clamp

Ext. bolt from BE member

Tru Glo Hi Viz Turkey/Deer F.O. front sight

ATI Akita adj. stock

Briley mod extended choke

gerritm

post-23808-0-73574300-1325988657_thumb.j

post-23808-0-41866800-1325988673_thumb.j

Edited by gerritm

gerritm,

How much are you into your CZ 712? I'm not really handi with tools but how difficult was it to work on your shotgun?

Thanks,

Other than using a Dremel to remove the stock mag tube rolled edge to remove the stock spring and follower and make a smooth transition to the new Nordic tube, it was all basic hand tools. Allen wrench, screwdriver, and socket on the new Akita stock. Very easy conversion.

The stock is not necessary to change. It has a fairly long LOP and my son wanted one a little shorter. Also the new stock has a very good recoil pad on it. We were going to put a recoil pad on the original and the length would have been too long for him.

CZ712U -- $450

Nordic parts -- $100

F.O. front sight $30

Akita stock -- $80

Ext. bolt --$45

Total: Approx. $705.00

Edited by gerritm

Glad everything went well! anytime you need a hand or direction feel free to shout. That mag tube is long, did the clamp change POI when shooting slugs? just curious as I've hear the clamp can change things a touch. Good job!

45user, the work on these is pretty straight forward and easy just take your time and you'll be golden. The hardest part might be drilling out the gas ports, speaking of I need to look that info up I've been crazy busy. Later,

Kirk

I shot my cz this last weekend. shot it with some old game loads I had kicking around that were probably from the 70's. had one jam. fftf. lip of the shell caught on a sharp edge between barrel/receiver (where the extractor cut is) . I will break the edge with a dremel.

I also have to shorten the stock a bunch to get my short arms able to do a strong arm reload. the ati stock might be in my future...

I shot my cz this last weekend. shot it with some old game loads I had kicking around that were probably from the 70's. had one jam. ftf. lip of the shell caught on a sharp edge between barrel/receiver (where the extractor cut is) . I will break the edge with a dremel.

I also have to shorten the stock a bunch to get my short arms able to do a strong arm reload. the ati stock might be in my future...

Edited by speederx7

Took the finished product out to the range and even though it was raining we put about 50 rounds thru it on the double plate rack. Shot perfect and the new stock and recoil pad did it's job. He loves it. No failures of any kind. Shooting Federal 3 1/4 dram, #8, 1oz shells. First match is this weekend.

The new stock gives him at least 1" shorter pull.

We moved the clamp back towards the fore stock so it doesn't affect the POI so much on slugs. Didn't get a chance to shoot slugs, but I think it will be fine.Have not messed with the gas ports or spring. Not going to tempt success.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

I just wanted to see where I could get it on light loads just because hehe I shoot the 3 1/4 dram loads at matches as long as the box says Federal I'm good first time those Winchester bulk enter the shotgun bad things would happen! if shoots them fine now but they are just iffy so I stick with the Federal, why mess with something if it works? Later,

Kirk

He shot the CZ in the match today and it ran perfect. Not a lot of rounds, but took down the Texas Star in 5 shots and 7 small steels one for one. The finish was to load up 4 slugs and hit 2 paper targets hidden by a couple of plastic barrels at about 20 yards. Getting to really like this shotgun.

gerritm

Question to the group:

Is the front bead removable? I'm considering replacing it instead of using the Hiviz Birdbuster magnetic attach fiber optic replacement. Thank you.

Comments:

I would love a properly made bolt handle to go on this.

Dremel purchased, need to find time to open up the end of the magazine tube.