Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to buy a Short Barrel Rifle/Suppressor - what is the process?

I've found all kinds of info on how to apply to "build" a short barrel rifle, but I want to purchase a complete SBR firearm.

I know it is legal in my State, requires the local Chief Law Enforcement Officer's signature, involves ATF Form 4, but that is where I get stuck. I'm confused on whether I purchase the stamp before I purchase the weapon, or vice versa?

Can someone list the step by step process for purchasing a SBR firearm &/or a Suppressor

Thanks in advance!

To purchase an item controlled by the National Firearms Act (NFA) typically works as follows.

You identify what you want to buy, if it is outside your state you have to get it transferred to a dealer in your state (by that dealer doing paperwork to have it transferred to the dealers posession), if it is in your state then you are one step closer. You make whatever financial arrangement with the current owner and/or dealer involved. You then fill out a Form 4 and submit it with $200 to the NFA branch of the BATFE. You wait, a really long time. When the form is returned approved to you you can then take posession of the item.

Posessing the NFA item without the approved form 4 and tax stamp is a big no no.

It is generally easer and faster the paperwork with a trust or corporation, Many CLO's wont sign it.

If the SBR and suppressor are in state it is much quicker.

You purchase the SBR and suppressor from the class 3 dealer using your trust, then send off the paperwork to the ATF with a separate check for each stamp with your trust paperwork copies.

Wait 5 months, then take your toys home.

A fella that I work with applied for and received a license to manufacture his suppressor. I don't know the particulars, but I don't believe he would have done it if it wasn't completely above board. I'll try and get some info from him when I see him this weekend. Maybe that's what Hitman was referring to.

Also, these NFA issues can be a legal problem and the forum doesn't want to get involved. As stated above, if anyone has any info with fact based links feel free to add them, but lets not turn this into a general discussion. If we can get some good links and info I'll put it back in the Firearms law/Announcements forum.

Thanks...

Most Class III dealers will help you fill out the paperwork. It's pretty simple. The Trust route is the easy way to go. Most SBR's take 6 months for your stamp. Mine did. For Suppressors about 2 months for your stamp. Now time to go to the range and play the quiet game. :devil::D

I was not nor would I even hint at doing something like this illegally.

Form 1.

Fill it out get it signed off by the CLEO or do it on a trust send it off with a check for 2 bills and in 6 months or so you can legally build your SBR.

Start here.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/nfa-handbook/

Forgot you can form 1 a silencer, shotgun or AOL also as long as you build it yourself, that includes just putting premade parts together.

Edited by hitman