Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Longer Primer Tubes?

You can get a Case Feeder that will hold 1K of rounds. You can get a Bullet Feeder that will hold 500rds or so. You can get a double sized powder hoppper that will allow you to go 300-400 rounds without topping off. You can have hundreds of bullets in a try right next to the reloader. You can have your finished cartridges go into a 5 gallon bucket BUT I am still stuck filling the primer tube every 100 rounds.

What is up with that? Safety in case they blow up?

Mark

Satisfied XL650 user.

I wonder how much more deadly it would be if 199 primers blew up vs. 99. What about 101? :unsure:

About 12 years ago a friend set off a full tube of primers on his 650. It all went up as designed, blew a hole in the sheet rock!! I'll stick with 100 round tubes.

Having not used a Dillon (or any progressive yet) couldnt you just fill like 10 tubes and have them ready then every 100 rnds, take a quick break, swap tubes and then you are off and running again? :)

Having not used a Dillon (or any progressive yet) couldnt you just fill like 10 tubes and have them ready then every 100 rnds, take a quick break, swap tubes and then you are off and running again? :)

YES! Give the man a cigar. :cheers: I only have 5 tubes myself but that is what I do.

Besides, if you can afford all the stuff the OP mentioned, can't you afford the Dillon primer tube filler(RF 100) as well. :ph34r::sight:

Why not some type of a flat magazine like a hand priming tool?

If you got the primers up to the height of the case feeder then add a flat angled tray, you could easily get several hundred more.

I also imagine a modified primer pickup tray that allows you to slide primers off (anvil down) right onto the tray rather than dealing with tubes.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

Why not some type of a flat magazine like a hand priming tool?

If you got the primers up to the height of the case feeder then add a flat angled tray, you could easily get several hundred more.

I also imagine a modified primer pickup tray that allows you to slide primers off (anvil down) right onto the tray rather than dealing with tubes.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

To me I would say that there would be a good chance to get a flipped primer with a setup like that. If you bump the feed tray or jostle the system while you are pulling the handle I would say the chances are pretty good that at least one primer will flip. This is also leaving out the ability to "armor" a tube shape and direct a blast more easily than with a flat tray.

I am not an engineer but I did stay at a holiday inn last night :)

You can. I actually find it beneficial -- from a repetitive stress standpoint -- to take a break from cranking the handle every couple of hundred rounds to fill primer tubes, during extended loading sessions....

you could get a flipper tray with a lid, put 200-300 on there, put the lid on tight so it wont come off if bumped, then figure out a way to mount that tube so they slide down into a tube fo some sort, that could work. only a few would be stacked up in case of freak detonation, but you'd have more than just 1 tube's worth of primers

(Im invisioning a processing on a machine Ive never even seen, so hopefully it makes sense, haha)

I think (occasionally) that a system similar to that used on the 900 would be fantastic. Verify that the primers are in the tray properly oriented, flip the tray over on the feed plate, remove the sleeve and go. But you'd still be running only a hundred or so at a clip. And I am not 100% sure on the possibility of massive detonation on a 900. Considering the size of SG primers, I would hope that the separation from the tray to the load ram would be sufficient to prevent a blowout.

Jim

You can. I actually find it beneficial -- from a repetitive stress standpoint -- to take a break from cranking the handle every couple of hundred rounds to fill primer tubes, during extended loading sessions....

Exactly why I don't need an RF-100. Take a break every 20 minutes or so and fill a tube. Takes all of a couple of minutes from opening a sleeve of primers to filling the primer tube on my 650. :cheers:

CYa,

Pat

I start out by filling one tube then emptying it into the machine then I go back and fill all eleven of my tubes for when I need them. Thirty seconds or less (normally less) to refill the machine until I have 1200 rounds loaded. About 1/2 a case of bullets at a time.... sounds about right to me.

Brian

I'm actually looking into a way to mount an RF-100 above the primer feed tube. That way, there's no interim step. Not sure how it's going to work, yet, but the theory seems sound.

Mac

If you had a RF-100 attached to the press in any way the vibration would screw up your powder weights.

+1 to the vibration possibly changing powder charges, I have 10 tubes, loaded at my leisure, when i getto loading, just load 100 and go, btw...had a friend who had a 550 magazine explosion, with only 100 in the tube it still launched the plastic follower thru the ceiling sheetrock in his garage and up into the attic space above, he has never found it, an the hole was never patched, his way of a reminder to take all safety precautions, in our haste to try and improve our ammo output, i think we start to override some important safety measures

Exactly why I don't need an RF-100. Take a break every 20 minutes or so and fill a tube. Takes all of a couple of minutes from opening a sleeve of primers to filling the primer tube on my 650. :cheers:

CYa,

Pat

There ya go! If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Joe

Edited by johes

I like the Ammoload setup. The primer tubes hold 125 but you just stick the primer tube in the primer tube filler and it fills it in seconds while you watch the machine run. They're about $1200 new or $400 - $600 used :surprise:

I start out by filling one tube then emptying it into the machine then I go back and fill all eleven of my tubes for when I need them. Thirty seconds or less (normally less) to refill the machine until I have 1200 rounds loaded. About 1/2 a case of bullets at a time.... sounds about right to me.

Brian

Bingo!!

I'm thinking a belt fed system would work well. Think M60 Machine Gun. :cheers:

Been done. RCBS APS priming system. Not quite M60, more like the French and Japanese

machine guns that used a metal strip to contain the cartridges. System has been around

for years. Anyone use it?

Before I had an RF-100 I thought, "why would I need that." Then on a wild hare I bought one. Now my thought pattern has changed to "why did I wait so long." There are plenty of other things to break the repetitiveness of loading, filling the powder hopper, bullet tray, empty the finished bin etc.