Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber safety removal

Pat Miles

I had a good friend ask me to fix a hammer following problem on his Kimber Eclipse. After inspecting the usual parts it was easy to see why the hammer was following. The hammer hooks looked like somebody had worked them over with a body grinder and the sear looked the same. :surprise: Looking further I found the grip safety lever had been cut off and the plunger in the slide broken off. This work was done by a local gun plumber wannabe. New hammer and sear installed, rear sight removed so the rest of the broken plunger could be removed. This left the other plunger next to the sear to deal with which now is just floating up and down. In the up position it protrudes into the hole where the slide plunger was and brings everything to a stop. I am told that there is an after market insert that replaces this plunger like the insert for the ParaOrdnance guns. Problem is I can't find one if they do exist. Anybody know if they exist and if so where to buy one. Brownells tells me they never heard of them.

The friend who owns the gun understands the implications of removing the parts and is an A Limited shooter who wants to dabble in Single Stack.

Thanks,

Pat

Eric, that would be correct for Colt or Para, but not Kimber. It's a different animal.

I left the entire plunger in my TLE after I took out the junk under the rear sight. Grinding off the top would be the easiest fix though.

Removing the lifter (yeah, that's the correct name!) will leave a gap on the right side between the frame and the sear. I don't know if this will cause an alignment problem or not so I just ground about .125" off the top of the lifter and will leave it in place.

Thanks for all the replies.

Pat

On one of my S&W 1911's i just ground that lifter down to act as a spacer. I removed the plunger as well. Brownell does carry the series 80 spacer, i've ordered them before.

I tried removing the lifter and you will get the sear walking around which will cause issues, I left it intact, it causes no issues except when you disassemble the gun.

On one of my S&W 1911's i just ground that lifter down to act as a spacer. I removed the plunger as well. Brownell does carry the series 80 spacer, i've ordered them before.

Pat,

Yeah, I left the spacer in also.

Bear,

The spacer in this Kimber is of a completely different configuration than the series 80 spacer.

Thanks,

Pat