Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Multiple pistol purchase reporting requirements

Hi,

I have a customer who is an avid S&W revolver collector, and several times he has bought 2 at a time. That triggers the multiple pistol purchase reporting requirement and I complete the form, fax ATF a copy, and send another to local LEO. What happens if that same customer comes in three days later and gets another revolver? Do I fill out another 3310-4 with the first two and the third, or just the third as the first two have already been reported? Or do I just wait to see if he gets another within the "Five consecutive business days" period and then fill out the 3310-4? And the "Five consecutive business days", does it start when the first revolver is sold or when the second or third is sold? I mean, if he bought one every four days for a month where would the reporting period end, five days after the final pistol? And they say the want the form "no later than close of business on the day that the multiple sale or other disposition occurs" How do you juggle same day with five days? And "Five consecutive business days"- does that mean my business days or government business days? Say I am only open four days a week, does that mean each week stands by itself? Or does that mean five of my business days, and since they are not consecutive how does that effect it?

Mark

Hi,

I have a customer who is an avid S&W revolver collector, and several times he has bought 2 at a time. That triggers the multiple pistol purchase reporting requirement and I complete the form, fax ATF a copy, and send another to local LEO. What happens if that same customer comes in three days later and gets another revolver? Do I fill out another 3310-4 with the first two and the third, or just the third as the first two have already been reported? Or do I just wait to see if he gets another within the "Five consecutive business days" period and then fill out the 3310-4? And the "Five consecutive business days", does it start when the first revolver is sold or when the second or third is sold? I mean, if he bought one every four days for a month where would the reporting period end, five days after the final pistol? And they say the want the form "no later than close of business on the day that the multiple sale or other disposition occurs" How do you juggle same day with five days? And "Five consecutive business days"- does that mean my business days or government business days? Say I am only open four days a week, does that mean each week stands by itself? Or does that mean five of my business days, and since they are not consecutive how does that effect it?

Mark

Call the BATF and ask them... safest way to insure you don't cause yourself any grief. ;)

JT

Hi,

Mark

Call the BATF and ask them... safest way to insure you don't cause yourself any grief. ;)

JT

And I'd ask in writing, while CCing my lawyer......

If you are a public seller, ie a company, I'd establish company policy that makes YOU comfortable with the BATF. I'd never deny a sale to a good customer, I'd just explain your legal concerns with the customer, and promise to complete the transaction at the 5-day (or whatever the limit is) point. A good, reasonable, customer would understand. No sense risking your FFL, and I'd hope the customer would not want you to risk it either, over a few days.

One method of keeping POSITIVE gun laws in place, is to avoid abusing them at all costs... Like people abusing concealed carry laws. Just don't do it...

JeffWard