Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading .40 on a dillon - problem fixed

tigerfan_9

So what your telling me is not to get the Dillion SD because the Dillion dies do not work? So i should get the 550 and get another brand of dies and if i do what ones?

There are four Dillon reloading machines. There are more positive than negatives about Dillon reloading presses The SDB is an entry level press good for most reloading.

You must use Dillon dies on an SDB. IMO, negative for the SDB. Dillon dies do not do well with 40 brass if the brass has a bulge at the base. 550/650 allow the user to use a variety of dies.

OK, so if I get the 550 than what brand DIE do I get and where do I get it?

Edited by JayJayJay

I have been reloading .40 SW for two years now on my SDB. I am using mostly once fired range brass I get from my LE friend (he has connections) they were all shot out of Glocks. I have reloaded 1000's of rounds and have never come accross a single bulged case. I case guage all of my rounds and they allways fit easily. I sometimes feel that case guaging is a waste of time... but I do it anyways. I keep reading about Glocked or bulged .40 brass but have never experienced it. Weird?? :wacko:

I have been reloading .40 SW for two years now on my SDB. I am using mostly once fired range brass I get from my LE friend (he has connections) they were all shot out of Glocks. I have reloaded 1000's of rounds and have never come accross a single bulged case. I case guage all of my rounds and they allways fit easily. I sometimes feel that case guaging is a waste of time... but I do it anyways. I keep reading about Glocked or bulged .40 brass but have never experienced it. Weird?? :wacko:

HHMMM. I guess maybe I will just get the 550 just in case.

The only people who have this problem are people who load hot loads. I do not shoot major power factor. I shoot minor and mid range loads and never have had this problem.

My G23 is a first year gun as a matter of fact I was on a waiting list for the g23 to hit the stores. So I have one of those not so supported barrels and well over a decade reloading the 40 SW. My Dillon die run down to touch the shell plate works just fine.