Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Compensator for AR-15?

SigAddict

+1 for the Titan compensator. I have been very happy with my selection. Here's my setup:

3-GunGearWeapons.jpg

I know Benny has been building the rolling thunder comp for a while, looking at that picture it looks very similiar to Benny's except benny's is a little fatter On the comp for more gas dispertion. here is a pick of Bennys comp

post-6635-127319296936_thumb.jpg

i've had the F2 and the Titan. both good. i prefer the Titan. i think it was a little flatter. (for me). plus it throws up a-lot more smoke. not very useful but high on the cool scale.

Yeah, ain't it interesting how damn near every (tactical) comp looks like the others? If you look at it in a very simplistic view, there are two kinds: the Cooley/F2/Thor group and the Titan/Rolling Thunder group. (note: I just chose a few here to illustrate a point, not leaving anyone out on purpose) Group one is round with either two or three chambers and has flat baffles. Group two is round with either two or three chambers and has curved baffles. (notice any similarities yet..?) Now, there are some differences in all, via high pressure expansion chambers, ect., but the same principles hold true throughout.

You pick the one that makes you feel the best about your rifle.

For me, thats a Rolling Thunder. Although I think he ought to rename it something more fitting to its incredibly loud report. "Wrathful hand of God violently smiting down His enemies" comes to mind...

Can you guys make a few clarifications for me about the similarities between the Triangle Shooting Sports "Rolling Thunder" and the SJC/LUND "Titan"?

Rolling Thunder has holes straight through from one side to the other right?

Titan has holes at a 30* angle vented back towards the shooter right?

A comparison to 2 other brakes similarly different would be the Badger "Thruster" and the American Precision Arms "lil bastard". The Thruster has holes going straight through, works well. The lil bastard has "gills" at 30* angles vented back to the shooter, works incredibly.

I've never shot either the Rolling Thunder or the Titan and I'm pretty happy with my Pandora. If I were to shoot 3gun, I'd probably pick the Titan because of some of the positive attributes to its design that I have found favorable in reducing recoil such as the angle of those vents. That's not said to take anything away from the Rolling Thunder.

I may have missed it in previous posts, but Front Sight magazine had 2 articles on different comps for the AR platform. I think that both articles appeared in the last year. There were sevearal different comps tested and all had thier good and bad points.

I use a DNTC on my 16 inch, and I don't think that it reduces any recoil but my rifle doesn't rise at all. I have shooting partners that use JP comps, Cooley comps, Arredondo's, etc. and they all work about the same. Most of them bought them because they like the looks of them. I won mine at a match, tried it and liked it, so now I have been using it for 3 years and am completely satisfied.

Again, try to find the articles in the FS mag, they had good info.

Lots to choose from, Good Luck!

Doug

Yeah, ain't it interesting how damn near every (tactical) comp looks like the others? If you look at it in a very simplistic view, there are two kinds: the Cooley/F2/Thor group and the Titan/Rolling Thunder group. (note: I just chose a few here to illustrate a point, not leaving anyone out on purpose) Group one is round with either two or three chambers and has flat baffles. Group two is round with either two or three chambers and has curved baffles. (notice any similarities yet..?) Now, there are some differences in all, via high pressure expansion chambers, ect., but the same principles hold true throughout.

Ken is not entirely correct there is at least one brand that is highly effective and significantly different in design than any of the other types he mentions. The very different design is the reason it works well. As a side benefit it has relatively low sound concussion.

But I agree with Ken, pick the one that makes you feel best

Ken is not entirely correct there is at least one brand that is highly effective and significantly different in design than any of the other types he mentions. The very different design is the reason it works well. As a side benefit it has relatively low sound concussion.

But I agree with Ken, pick the one that makes you feel best

low sound concussion? who wants that!?!? :lol:

Out of curiosity, what is this design you think is better than the others (im genuinely interested as a new 3gun upper is high on my list of stuff-to-buy.)

I bet we are going to hear about extensive test against beer cans and hole saws.------------Larry

+1 for Larry! Reminds me of

Zen riddle:

What is the AMERICAN sound of a hole saw drilling thru a can of Bud Light?

Hint, Bud is no longer an American Company and most (but not all) hole saws for purchase in America are made in China.

(Disclaimer, don’t try this at home folks, and don’t drink and saw at the same time)

I bet we are going to hear about extensive test against beer cans and hole saws.------------Larry

Larry (and others),

We told you guys to knock that stuff off once already. We had to clear this thread out. Lots of work. Lots of strife.

Think what you want, but be polite here on this forum. (Poking and prodding is deliberate antagonism.)

I am closing this thread. As Merlin pointed out, we have more than a few comp discussions here already. The suppressor discussion still has legs. It would make a good stand-alone thread. (Or, one of the Moderators may choose to split it out.)

Kyle F.

Forum Administrator