Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Geissele Triggers

David Sinko

A friend of mine recently bought an LWRC M6. Nice rifle, but frankly the trigger was terrible. I have always been very happy with the J.P. trigger I had installed in my DPMS carbine, but he just has to go with the "best" and the J.P. was not good enough for him. He bought a (very expensive) Geissele Hi-Speed DMR Trigger and had a local gunsmith put it in for him. The 'smith installed it but didn't do anything with the set screws. He said to "put 100 rounds through it and then adjust the set screws and Loc-Tite them." Everybody seems to rave about these Geissele triggers but after trying his, I am under the impression that it is no better than my J.P. Are we missing something here? Is there a certain "trick" to installing these that will convince me that it was worth the money?

Dave Sinko

I've recently acquired a couple DMR triggers from Geissele. I've never been a fan of a 2 stage trigger. I've always preferred JP's and ARGold's in my rifles. Well,upon receipt of the new triggers-First thing I noticed was the awesome quality and attention to detail. Next was the awesome set of instructions that came with the triggers for installation along with installation tools. I installed mine and adjusted them to my liking per the excellent instructions. I have mine set so that after the first stage is taken up that I hit an ever so slight wall in order to be able to feel the trigger just before the break. Total of the first and second stage breaks at just under 3 pounds. I shot my first match with the new triggers 2 weeks ago and I must say....I was thoroughly impressed with what I felt. I was in touch with the trigger for every shot. Feedback was excellent. I'm a long time Glock shooter and shoot the reset on every gun I press the trigger on. This trigger gave me excellent feedback and my points on paper showed it and my times did not drop from what I normally run. I must say that I am very impressed with the DMR GA trigger. If it does not feel good to you. Take a few minutes and read the instructions in their entirety and adjust it to your liking. I think you will be thoroughly impressed. I know I am. I'll admit....i never thought i would like a 2 stage trigger in a run-n-gun match rifle. I believe they call this a paradigm shift.

David,

I've been using an older DMR since 2006. I did not read the instructions initially, but after I did, it made a world of difference. I would take the 10-15 minutes to read and understand the 3 set screws and how they play into setting up the trigger to your liking.

Once you have done this, I believe you will find the trigger to be an excellent investiment.

I love Geissele triggers. I have them in all but one of my AR's. I have tried a lot of triggers over the years and have not found any to be reliable other than Geissele at least not for the long haul. Same for JP. I know some here love them. But the one I had doubled after just a few thousand rounds were down range.

Pat

JP vs Geissele is kind of an apples to oranges comparison. Yes, they're both AR triggers (very good ones) but the JP is a single stage trigger and the Geissele is a 2 stage trigger. If you like a single stage trigger, a properly installed/tuned JP is about the best there is (IMHO). For a 2-stage, Geissele is the best (again, IMHO).

I love the Geissele and have gone to it in just about all my AR-15's and AR-10's. I've tried just about all the 2-stage AR triggers including Knights, Jewell, RRA, Armalite and the Geissele is outstanding by comparison. I like to have the option to prep the trigger for a precision shot and don't even notice the 2-stage feature when hosing up close.

I switched all of my triggers to Geissele after being a single stage user for years, I really like them. The instructions for installation are very well done and if you have a question you can give em a call.

If you have one of these triggers you need to check it, there has been a recall for hammers.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got about 4-5k downrange on the Geissele SSA (not the DMR). The re-set of this trigger is really long and the first stage really heavy. I just can't shoot a split with this trigger because I start to just blow through both stages in rapid fire and it screws with my concentration too much trying to ride the reset on this little bugger. I gotta say that I friggen hate this trigger. I would rather use a good trigger from a CMT parts kit with some judiscious stoning. I tried the AR Gold Trigger and what a GREAT trigger! Btw, the AR Gold IS technically a 2 stage trigger.

I'm just wondering, though, did I miss the boat with the SSA vs. the DMR? Maybe the DMR is a totally different breed of cat. I have some Colt receivers that I would like to keep and they can't take a AR Gold because of the damn Colt sear block. The AR Gold looks to me like it will maybe hold up better than a lock-tighted DMR and its also safer.Anyone have any opinions on the durability of both the DMR vs AR Gold. Sorry if I offended anyone with my strong opinion of the SSA. I know its sort of an apples and oranges comparison, but if the reset on the DMR is anything like the SSA, it wouldn't work for me at all.

The SSA and DMR are different because the SSA isn't adjustable while the other is. I've been using a DMR or Match (I can't remember) for around 5 years and never had any issues with it. Everyone that has tried my trigger is impressed by it but not too many people want to drop $280 for a trigger.

Edited by ERIC

The SSA and DMR are different because the SSA isn't adjustable while the other is. I've been using a DMR or Match (I can't remember) for around 5 years and never had any issues with it. Everyone that has tried my trigger is impressed by it but not too many people want to drop $280 for a trigger.

The AR Gold is in the exact same price range as a DMR. To be clear I'm NOT bashing the DMR. I've never tried one. I actually like the break on the non adj. SSA second stage. Its just the reset when shooting a string is unmanagable for me.With the AR Gold I don't even have to think about managing my trigger and I can focus on the target. I bet if I tried a Geissele DMR, that was properly adjusted, that I would like it. For me, right now (that could change in a week) the AR Gold is so superior to any AR trigger that I've tried, its like comparing a 1950's Chevy to a Lexus. They completely redisgned the trigger system in the AR with this trigger and a lot of the improvement can be attributed to the safety side of the Gold trigger. You can drop your weapon off a roof and its not going to go off if the safety is engaged. The more that I shoot this trigger, the more I like it. The only thing that I wonder about is with the durability of this trigger and triggers like the DMR that have set screws that are lock-tited.

Edited by johnnywitt

I just can't shoot a split with this trigger because I start to just blow through both stages in rapid fire and it screws with my concentration too much trying to ride the reset on this little bugger.

Don't try to ride the reset to the 2nd stage when shooting fast - blow through both stages intentionally. Having said that, I do like AR Gold better for the fast stuff.

I'm still a relative novice in the AR world but I have a rifle with an AR Gold, another with a Geissele SSR, and have had (and am building another) one with the Geissele Match. I find the SSR and the AR Gold to be good for 3-gun shooting, with the AR Gold a little stronger in the fast stuff and the SSR a little better on the long range shots. The DMR and Match Geisseles kick butt on the long precision shots where you have time to take up the first stage and make use of the light crisp 2nd stage break.

Todd,

I have tried the AR Gold and while I loved the break on longer shots I just couldn't get it to work for me at speed. I could not feel the reset. Back in went the JP.

How does that particular aspect compare with the DMR?

Todd,

I have tried the AR Gold and while I loved the break on longer shots I just couldn't get it to work for me at speed. I could not feel the reset. Back in went the JP.

The American Gold Co./PACT is going to release a new AR Gold Trigger that is non adj. like the Geissele SSA soon. I talked to the AR Gold Folks and they said this trigger will break at 4lb. I am pretty new to AR's myself, so I don't have the extensive muscle memory of more experienced AR shooters (I probably have maybe 7k downrange with AR platform). I betcha that the more experienced AR shooters are going to be slow to get on board with the AR Gold because they are used to the relatively long reset on any standard design AR trigger. The AR Gold Trigger feels similiar to a 1911 trigger. This is a complete redesign of the AR Trigger.

I don't know how many JP triggers you have felt but if you have John install one "relatively long reset" will not be in your vocabulary. Even though the reset is very short the JP does offer a positive feel of reset whereas on the AR Gold I was unable to feel the reset at speed which is detrimental to quick splits.

My question however was not concerning the AR Gold (I have tried it and still have one) I was curious as to the reset on the Geissele.

Todd,

Hey Craig....I'll be honest here. Giesselle sent us the SSA triggers first. We weren't too crazy about them and told him what we were looking for and he sent the DMR Match triggers that are fully adjustable and explained some of the adjustment parameters. We got the DMR's and installed them. I adjusted them multiple different ways to find what I liked best. Reset is not JP short but it is Glock positive. I am a Glock shooter and really like the feedback from the Glock trigger. I did not think I would like a 2 stage and was not sure I wanted to run the Giesselle trigger. After having it in my gun and putting a few thousand dry fire evolutions on it....I have a different opinion of it. I shot a match with it and felt every shot and had great feedback from it. Best feedback I have ever gotten from a rifle trigger. My splits maybe slowed down a hundredth. I pull some fast .13 splits with ease. My splits were never slower than .15 and my hits were phenomenal. I really dig the DMR. I will say it was a huge paradigm shift for me. When sponsors give me product....I won't use it unless I am pleased with it. If I am pleased with it....I will endorse it completely and I will be honest about my perception of performance. I liked the AR Gold. It was a great trigger but like you experienced....you can easily lose feedback when shooting fast. Sometimes leading to slapping and opening up your shot group. JP has a bit more feedback than the AR Gold but I still experienced the same thing as with the AR Gold on occasion. Not a big problem, but it did occasionally affect hits. Last match I shot with the Giesselle....I felt every shot and called every shot perfectly. I was extremely impressed. And I did sell my AR Gold trigger.

Todd,

Hey Craig....I'll be honest here. Giesselle sent us the SSA triggers first. We weren't too crazy about them and told him what we were looking for and he sent the DMR Match triggers that are fully adjustable and explained some of the adjustment parameters. We got the DMR's and installed them. I adjusted them multiple different ways to find what I liked best. Reset is not JP short but it is Glock positive. I am a Glock shooter and really like the feedback from the Glock trigger. I did not think I would like a 2 stage and was not sure I wanted to run the Giesselle trigger. After having it in my gun and putting a few thousand dry fire evolutions on it....I have a different opinion of it. I shot a match with it and felt every shot and had great feedback from it. Best feedback I have ever gotten from a rifle trigger. My splits maybe slowed down a hundredth. I pull some fast .13 splits with ease. My splits were never slower than .15 and my hits were phenomenal. I really dig the DMR. I will say it was a huge paradigm shift for me. When sponsors give me product....I won't use it unless I am pleased with it. If I am pleased with it....I will endorse it completely and I will be honest about my perception of performance. I liked the AR Gold. It was a great trigger but like you experienced....you can easily lose feedback when shooting fast. Sometimes leading to slapping and opening up your shot group. JP has a bit more feedback than the AR Gold but I still experienced the same thing as with the AR Gold on occasion. Not a big problem, but it did occasionally affect hits. Last match I shot with the Giesselle....I felt every shot and called every shot perfectly. I was extremely impressed. And I did sell my AR Gold trigger.

Thanks 00Bullet, this is what I was looking for. I think I'm going to try out a DMR and see if I like it and compare apples to apples. Smokshwn, no I've never tried a JP Trigger because I heard they didn't play well with .22 dedicated uppers like my Tac Sol. By all accounts JP makes a great trigger. However, both the Geissele's and the AR Gold play nice with my TS Upper. The AR Gold did require a different bolt (which btw, TS gave for free and completely took care of me). The bolt that came with the unit wouldn't always fully cock the hammer all the way back to get a second stage. The Geissele ran like a top with the un-modded bolt right out of the box.

Edited by johnnywitt

Todd,

Thanks, exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I might have to try one :D

Johny,

FWIW if you decide to try a JP trigger mine run fine with my TacSol upper. (I have tried 2 of the 4 I have)

Smokshwn, maybe I will try out a JP. I just got into the AR thing beginning last summer, so my learning curve is still pretty steep. I'm lucky enough to have a 100y range behind my house and a 25y pistol range beside my house. So, I'm still experimenting trying to see what works for me and what doesn't. When I feel like I'm getting good enough, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna want to start competing at the local level. I really appreciate what you experienced Dudes have to say and hope to learn a lot more from you Guys. Sorry for the thread drift.

Edited by johnnywitt

Does Geisseles support the sport? (I don't know BUT I know JP sure does)

While the best trigger on an AR that I have ever felt on an AR was an Accuracy Speaks, the 2nd best is the JP that JP did for one of my lowers.

kelly is VERY correct. John Paul does an incredible and generous job of supporting things in this area, my $$$ gets spent with his company.

John Paul, thank you again for the components you donated to the Firebird/Wounded Warrior rifle. (and please remember to visit the thread in the FB vendor section!)

While the best trigger on an AR that I have ever felt on an AR was an Accuracy Speaks, the 2nd best is the JP that JP did for one of my lowers.

Kelly and Ken,

Absolutely John supports our sport without question. It speaks volumes that anytime a new trigger shows up it immediately gets compared to a JP as a standard of what a good AR trigger should be.

I also support John, at last count 4 triggers, a CTR02 upper, couple of scope mounts, 3 JPoints, two handguards, 3 Bolt carriers, small parts ad nauseum, hell even a large frame Glock magwell from back in the day.

I'm even an advertiser, I have a buddy (more money than brains) who bought an LRP-07 sight unseen because of what I had told him about my CT upper....too bad he still hasn't shot it :rolleyes:

However, I can't think of anybody in this sport (I would assume even John Paul) who can't appreciate a better mousetrap. That is essentially one of the constants in this sport is small volume manufacturers improving upon performance and we shooters are probably some of the best objective testers out there as that timer does not lie.

I don't care if they support the sport or not. They make a very good trigger that I use on my work and play guns. JP may support the sport but the only JP trigger I had doubled after just a few thousand rounds were put through it. That soured me on JP's trigger. Regardless of the company I refuse to buy an inferrior product just because they put stuff on the prize table.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I myself believe heavily in JP products and spend alot of money with his company. But it does not change the fact that I will continue to test and evaluate new and different products against what I currently believe in and use.