Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB Primer Pin vs. Cup

On my SDB loading .45, it stopped feeding primers every few cases as it would just stop solid as I tried to lever down. When I took the priming assembly out to clean it off and see what was up, I found that the spring loaded cup was not springing up past the pin that seats the primers. The cup was tilting in at an angle and was catching on the part of the pin that gets bigger at the top. The machine was also popping at the bottom of the handle stroke, like it needed to be adjusted for advancement with the hex screw on the right (got that off the Dillon site). I did that, and it helped the popping sound from under the shell plate (mostly fixed it). BUT, the primer cup is still getting stuck under the pin every once in a while. I've cleaned everything I can. I'm non-mechanical, and can't see where the adjustment/wear is or might be that is making the cup go too low and tilt.

Help?

Certain, never loaded anything but the 10 or 12K .45s I've done on it, always has been set up for large pistol primers, and it just started this in the last 500 or so. It is doing it less often, but I don't want to run in/ruin it just because it works 98 percent of the time.

EDIT/ADD-Took a chance and loaded 300 rounds. The pin/cup problem happened 2 of the first 100, then NONE out of the next 200. I only got the pop from under the shellplate (I think that is where it's coming from)once, so that problem appears to have solved also. I was going slower, maybe my technique had something to do with it.

If anyone has any feedback that's still great...I'm sure the car will start making the same funny noise again when I get about a block from the mechanic's, you know?

Edited by sheepdog

Take the priming system out and look at the cup. I am willing to bet that it is slightly deformed from contact with the shellplate. It happened to mine once.

I just lightly took a file to it and got it running good again. If it is not fixable that way give dilllon a call.

Edited by BBoyle