Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rhino Metals' Bighorn 6039EL gun safe review

dbarrym

Couldn't find a specific forum category...I've been thinking about buying a safe for the last few years, esp. here in CA where DOJ requires approved locks on all guns in storage at home if kids can/might have access. My kids are married but you never know...and there is always the issue of theft.

I've been looking at 36 to 40 gun capacity safes from AmSec, Liberty, Cannon, Browning, etc., then found out that Costco offered the Bighorn line from Rhino Metals with free delivery. After comparing specs and prices in the $1K to $1.5K range, I ordered the Rhino 6039EL from Costco a week ago Sunday. The truck actually showed up Friday at 6 PM, just a day after I acknowledged the order from Rhino directly...about four weeks before I expected it! Wasn't ready (my garage is VERY full...took all weekend to re-arrange and make space), but the delivery company came back without a problem.

Delivery was easy and using a pallet jack, not nearly as difficult to move into place in my garage as I expected. The two of us had it in up the driveway and in place in under five minutes (most of which was spent unpacking it). I had him drop it on some 6" wood blocks as I will have it professionally bolted down in a week. As a note, they really appreciate having everything cleared out of the way and ready to place...I gave the driver $20 as my driveway is sloped a bit, but he didn't seem to expect any extra $$.

First impressions are that the quality is excellent, far superior to the similarly sized Cannon that Costco carries, and well worth the extra $200. If you want interior power (for lights or a dehumidifier), there is a hole in the lower left corner, be sure to locate from the rear and cut some slits in the interior fabric and pull the power cord through before you move it into place. The interior carpeting is very nicely done and the shelves are covered top and bottom. Exterior finish is nice, a semi-gloss black with a pebbled finish (like the stppled interior plaster wall finishes you see on some houses).

It IS hefty - 820 lbs - and the door is very weighty; make sure it is fully supported in front when you open the door, and the door is latched if you tilt it forward to move around or remove the shipping feet.

Here's some pics and comments...

Installed temporarily in place, it is 24" deep, 39" wide, and 59" high.

IMG_2951.jpg

Edited by dbarrym

One major reason I chose the Rhino over the similar size and priced Cannon was the externally hinged door that opens 180 degrees, and more important, the 10 locking bolts that go all around the periphery of the door.

IMG_2959.jpg

An interior shot with 10 long guns in place. With 10 guns in place, there is very little extra room, and if you have bulky guns or optics installed, no way to put any rifles on the back side. I am going to have to think about converting the right side to hold the carbines/AR's with stocks collapsed and still have one narrow shelf. I wish now I could have afforded a bigger/wider safe! I have at least 6 more long guns I need to make room for. 36 guns my rear...but that's true of all safe manufacturer space/size ratings, not just the Rhino.

IMG_2963.jpg

Still playing around with the best layout for the handguns...have to fit 10 more in here. Revolvers and long slide autos fit into the shelf with the long gun barrel cutouts fairly well. Cowboy and IPSC/USPSA comp guns, oh boy!

IMG_2964.jpg

One note re shipping and support - there was a tear in the cardboard covering and some scratches on the lower left front corner that I didn't see initially. I called Rhino and they were very good - asking if I wanted to make a claim or replace the safe. Not that big a deal, they are sending me some touch up paint. Great service.

Thanks for the link - lots of good info there. I'm definitely going to implement some of the ideas shown. Obviously there are some creative ways of getting everything in there!

Barry