Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where is the 5" M&P .40 ?

mdschappell

Bought a new XDM-40 because my dealer could not get the M&P 40 Pro yet. Shot 1 mag thru the XDM...the web of my right hand was a bloddy mess after 10 rounds. Sold the XDM-40, right after a good cleaning to remove flesh and blood.

I am hoping that the M&P Pro Series will not tear up my BIG hands like that! My other guns are 1911's w/beavertails, and a SIG P220. None of those slides hit the web of my hand. The pictures of the M&P look like the slide is higher on the frame....guess I will find out when my dealer can finally get one bought.

Bought a new XDM-40 because my dealer could not get the M&P 40 Pro yet. Shot 1 mag thru the XDM...the web of my right hand was a bloddy mess after 10 rounds. Sold the XDM-40, right after a good cleaning to remove flesh and blood.

I am hoping that the M&P Pro Series will not tear up my BIG hands like that! My other guns are 1911's w/beavertails, and a SIG P220. None of those slides hit the web of my hand. The pictures of the M&P look like the slide is higher on the frame....guess I will find out when my dealer can finally get one bought.

The .40 Pro should fit the hand the same as the .40 Standard. I too have large hands and a "really" high grip. Every so often I will get the web of my hand nicked with my 2011 :surprise: I have never had a problem with M&P. I love it, it fits my hand, and I am now waiting like everyone else for the Pro.

This is getting annoying... the 40 Pro short is everywhere but no 5" yet. I can already feel myself being drawn to the darkside and the Glock 35 is looking better every day :unsure: I've owned quite a few guns but never a Glock... as one of the Glock heads always tells me "once you go Glock you never go back".

"once you go Glock you never go back".

Yeah, not so much :D

I like them for carrying, and their reliability, but they're not going to be my choice for competition for a number of reasons. I can shoot my M&P or a 1911/2011 virtually all day with no problems. 200+ rounds with a Glock and my hands/fingers are begging me to stop. Two weekends ago I put 400 rounds through my M&P and 250 through my Open gun with no problems. Sadly, I can't do that with a Glock. R,

So much for the april release date, unless they are shipping them overnight as we speak (type). I don't get the delay here. I saw on another post that they already have a part number assigned to the slide. S & W has to have all the parts designed and ready to go. My gaze is starting to drift in other directions.....

I'm ready to give up on the 5" 40 pro as well. I asked my dealer to get me one when they came out. That was back back in January. I am considering other options for starting up in Limited.

Decided to go with the M & P 9 pro, and picked up a new one at a decent price. I am gonna deck it out with SSS parts (which I just ordered) and shoot limited minor for a little while. I figured I can always grab one of the 40 pros when they come out, and swap the SSS parts to it and use the 9 for production. That way I will be shooting the same platforms in limited and production. I have been comparing my production scores to limited scores at recent matches, and I don't think that minor scoring will hurt me too much (fingers crossed). I am hoping the extra capacity helps me more than major scoring will..... time will tell. At any rate, it should be tons of fun, which is why I am in this anyway.

I am hoping the extra capacity helps me more than major scoring will..... time will tell. At any rate, it should be tons of fun, which is why I am in this anyway.

It sure didn't work out that way at the Indiana Prod/SS/Rev match...top three overall were all in SS. R,

Would the 5" .40 not be a good choice for Limited? I've only shot one IPSC match using a .45 ACP in Limited 10, so I'm asking from a position of total ignorance. I just thought an MP40 Pro Series 5" would be a fairly good Limited gun. No?

In any case, I've searched everywhere and Bud's was about the only place that even made reference to this model.

Would the 5" .40 not be a good choice for Limited? I've only shot one IPSC match using a .45 ACP in Limited 10, so I'm asking from a position of total ignorance. I just thought an MP40 Pro Series 5" would be a fairly good Limited gun. No?

In any case, I've searched everywhere and Bud's was about the only place that even made reference to this model.

The only reference I've seen on Bud's was for the 4.5" Pro. You can make a better 4.5" M&P by taking a standard .40 full size and adding sights and trigger work.

If you can get a 5" Pro (.40), add some mag extensions, an Apex sear and firing pin block, maybe an Accurate Iron grip insert (gritty texture) and maybe different sights and you'd have what should be a good setup for Limited.

Edited by G-ManBart

It's out of stock, but this is their listing:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_39_71/products_id/61703

I get your point about just building up a 'standard' fs 40; makes sense to me. I hadn't even noticed this one has a tac rail and night sights--neither of those features makes any sense to me, but I guess at least it doesn't come standard with a threaded barrel. :)

Edited by Bongo Boy

It's out of stock, but this is their listing:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_39_71/products_id/61703

I get your point about just building up a 'standard' fs 40; makes sense to me. I hadn't even noticed this one has a tac rail and night sights--neither of those features makes any sense to me, but I guess at least it doesn't come standard with a threaded barrel. :)

Interesting...I guess I didn't scroll down far enough in the out of stock listings. I'm betting that it's out of stock because they haven't gotten any in the first place, but at least they've got it listed. I bought my 9mm Pro from their LE side and it was a pleasant experience. I'll order one of these the minute they are available.

Yeah, night sights is a bit odd on this sort of gun, but hey...it's easy to remove and sell them. The M&P slide profile is a pain to secure in a vice when changing sights, but the MGW sight pusher makes it about idiot-proof. The 9mm Pro has the rail as well...doesn't really matter to me one way or the other, but I guess it doesn't hurt anything and might be a plus to some folks without really costing Smith anything extra. The wait goes on....

Yeah, night sights is a bit odd on this sort of gun, but hey...it's easy to remove and sell them.

Uh huh. And my MP45c came without them--go figure. A gun I feel is ideal for CCW...with no night sights. So that's what I was thinking...pay 600 for a 500 dollar gun and put the 100 dollar sights on my MP45c. Still...the idea of just tweaking a stock MP40 still makes more sense, since I'm not actually convinced night sights really make sense in any scenario. I'll take a low-light defensive pistol class before I make judgement on their potential utility. Given I have NEVER practiced using the luminescent feature of my Sig night sights, I know I'd be in trouble if I needed them.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the availability date was April

Yeah I guess maybe I was a little premature with the 'product in pipeline' proclamation. I went to the GunsAmerica listing where I bought mine and the listing is now closed. That could mean anything, of course, but I take it to mean the guy had exactly one left when I called him.

...or, he didn't have any when I called him and he's going to tell me it's "backordered" next week when I call him and ask where the heck it is. That would violate GunsAmerica rules, but folks have been known to violate the rules from time-to-time, or so I'm told.

Edited by Bongo Boy