Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P elevation adjustment?

tracker

With the factory sights on the M&P only adjustable for windage, what can I do for elevation? The gun shoots about 4-5" low at 25 yards. Ammo does not seem to make a differance. Should I just change my POA? I would rather POA and POI be the same, or is that asking too much?! :rolleyes:

I am a new M&P shooter what can I do to correct this?

BTW, the responses to any of my previous posts have been AWESOME!! A huge thanks to everyone!

Rich

You have a few options, a few companies make fully adjustable rear sights, you can get a shorter front sight, or you can send it back to S&W.

Dawson Precision and Speed Shooter's Specialties sell the sights.

Edited by GISMap

Shooting reloads? If so hold off on doing much with the sights. The smallest change in OAL or powder charge or even brand of bullet will change POI. I was grouping to the left and moved my rear sight, then changed bullets and then I was shooting to the right and had to move the sight back where it was.

Also make sure you are not causing the problem with trigger pull. Try to rest the gun on something as good as you can get it. Pull the trigger ever so slow so that the gun surprises you when it goes off. You should notice a different POI if you do that.

Standard sights? File the front sight down.

Order a shorter front sight like some have said or put an adjustable rear on.

All else fails, send it back since it is a newer gun.

Thanks everyone,

I am going to try different ammo first. And some more work off a good rest to try and make a better decision. I think this particular gun may be passed on to my wife and I am looking at a 9L or pro. I may go with the L and work the trigger over. Maybe the gun will behave differently for my wife, she has no plans to shoot any matches with it and wants a crimson trace laser grip. If the gun still shoots low with the factory sight we will replace the rear with a adjustable.

Rich

• 10 years later...
On 10/30/2020 at 10:00 PM, Unhappy said:

I am having the same problem with a new 45, with fiber optic sights. 4-6 inches too low @ 30 feet. The rear sight is adjustable left or right, but not for elevation.  Very disappointed in S&W.....

The M&P, and every other maker's pistol with fixed sights, can only have the sights designed for a specific point of impact based on what they expect the shooter's sight picture to be.  If yous differs, they can't help that.  Do you use the top of the front blade or the center of the fiber optic rod as your aiming point?  If the former, yes, your POI will be low.

If you are shooting reloads, wait until you are settled with one recipe. Different bullet weight, powder charge, even same bullet weight just different maker or OAL will change the POI.

I have seen fully adjustable M&P rear sight on a M&P 2.0 5" FDE at my range, imported from Europe I believe.

• 4 weeks later...

Two M&P 9 2.0's.  4 different ammo brands (none reload).  Three shooters, one being an expert on shooting this kind of weapon.  We all are about 2-3" left and 5-6" low with the 3 dots lined up on target at 20'.  

If everybody on all the threads were complaining about different POI's I'd agree, shooter error.  But the 5-6" low seems to be a VERY common observation.  It appears that everybody out there, including people who have shot this type of gun for a very long time, have the same bad shooting habits?  Or maybe... S&W has a problem?

https://dawsonprecision.com/sight-calculator/

Find the ammo you want to use and use the link to get the correct sight.  

Dawson has the perfect impact policy. Order the sight set that they recommend and if it’s off, just call them and they cut you the sight you need for free.

You could also try a heavier bullet if you are low or lighter bullet if you are high, and that might correct your POA/POI

Edited by bigfish

I called S&W when I first found out about the same issue soon after I purchased my 2.0 FDE 5". They sent a shorter front sight to me for free. Later I I changed sights on all my 2.0s (both 5" and 4" Compact) to Dawson Precision fiber optic front and black rear set.

With my reload ammo (124gr with muzzle velocity of 1060 FPS) and a center hold sight picture, the optimal sight height combinations are: 

5" Barrel:

0.210" front, 0.265" rear

4" Barrel

0.200" front, 0.240" rear

• 4 months later...
On 11/1/2020 at 10:59 PM, SteelCityShooter said:

The M&P, and every other maker's pistol with fixed sights, can only have the sights designed for a specific point of impact based on what they expect the shooter's sight picture to be.  If yous differs, they can't help that.  Do you use the top of the front blade or the center of the fiber optic rod as your aiming point?  If the former, yes, your POI will be low.

This, I was sighting mine in today (just got new sights) and found I had to do this.  POI is at the center of the front dot, not the top of the sight.  Which at first was a bit weird BUT actually becomes very natural if you don't fight it.  You just kind of cover what you want to hit and bam, you hit it lmao.  Love my M&P :).