Catch and Release

kgunz11

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There ain't much of Ohio I haven't seen, and I wouldn't mind seeing more of it. Got lots of friends up there. Dale seems like a nice guy and considering our love for shooting we'd probably hit it off.

The elevation change from me to the tallest point in Ohio makes a 13" difference at 1000 yards using the same data. At 1200 yards, it still goes subsonic rather you or here or there. In Ohio at 1200 yds the bullet would be traveling 1096fps, where I am it would be going 1057fps. The sound barrier is around 1040fps depending. To think the .260 at 2550fps starting MV with a 139 Scenar will get it done at 1200 yards is being VERY optimistic. I guess if you were shooting at a school bus it would work. All things can be subjective.

All this reminds me of a story a good friend of mine shared with me, about climbing up to some secret mountain lake that had a sunken b17 or b25 in it, and doing a dive in 30 degree water???????????????

30 degree water???????????? are you sure, I ask quizically!!!!!!!!!!! yeah, we had a temp gauge and measured it, Oh well I guess if you measured it, it must be true. :roflol:

Here is another one, for all you techies!!!!! an AMU gunsmith related this to me just the other day. seems they took a rifle barrel with a very nice crown and shot it and produced a very nice group, then hacksawed the barrel off and filed the muzzle to clean up the "new" crown and subsequently produced an equivalent group,...................so much for NEEDING a _______ degree crown, or custom cut with a lathe to be dead balls perpendicular to the bullets exit.

Trapr

Subjective is...how high I gotta wear my boots. devil.gif

Competitive? Not in any way, shape, or form.

These guys are shooting with pistols. Giddyup.

Accuracy, velocity, and ballistics aren't holding them back in the 1,000y steel match. Dale tells me the biggest hurdle is likely the glass of the pistol scopes. He is getting ready to try out a rifle scope that he believes won't tattoo him, but the gun that is on needs some tweaking first.

He needs something fastened to the grip of the gun that he could brace against his shoulder, that should prevent the gun moving enough to cause damage...

Here is another one, for all you techies!!!!! an AMU gunsmith related this to me just the other day. seems they took a rifle barrel with a very nice crown and shot it and produced a very nice group, then hacksawed the barrel off and filed the muzzle to clean up the "new" crown and subsequently produced an equivalent group,...................so much for NEEDING a _______ degree crown, or custom cut with a lathe to be dead balls perpendicular to the bullets exit.

Dale hacks off barrels like that all the time too. :)

Subjective is...how high I gotta wear my boots. devil.gif

Competitive? Not in any way, shape, or form.

These guys are shooting with pistols. Giddyup.

Accuracy, velocity, and ballistics aren't holding them back in the 1,000y steel match. Dale tells me the biggest hurdle is likely the glass of the pistol scopes. He is getting ready to try out a rifle scope that he believes won't tattoo him, but the gun that is on needs some tweaking first.

Well, if they can be competitive, I'd like to invite them down to Society Hill, Alabama to participate in one of our monthly steel matches. Tell Dale I'll pay his travel expenses coming and going. The level of competition would be quite entertaining and I'd pay to see that. If he has a gun that will do .5" at 300 yards he should have no problem beating everyone there. My rifle will shoot in the teens, but I call it a .5 MOA rifle because it does that or better consistently. It's a simple match format; at 600, 800, and 900 yards the steel plates are 24" wide and 36" tall. The 1000 yard target is a 36" round steel gong. There are 6 targets at each distance and 6 shooters on the line at the time. The 10 point scoring ring is 1 MOA at each distance and the 5 point ring is 2 MOA. Anything outside of that is a zero rather it's on the steel or not. There are no sighters and no wind flags, all shots fired from a bench. Mirage often prevents the shooter from being able to see hits on the steel which is painted white, the 10 ring is a 1 MOA solid black dot (6.282" @ 600, 8.376" @ 800, 9.423" @ 900 and 10.470" at 1000). The HOA winner of the last match (me) shot a 140, besting that relay by 55 points (I had 1 shot not scoring in the match, all on steel). There were 8 relays of 6 shooters for 48 in the match total. The highest score shot on the range in 15 years of holding a match there is a 185. If you come, come hungry. The humble pie is very filling and most everyone gets a piece of it. I imagine shooting a pistol at distance could be a hoot, if you're competing against other pistol shooters.

Yes Sir, I thought so too. In the next 2-3 weeks I'll have had enough opportunity to give it a thorough run down. The monitor is suppose to be daylight viewable meaning it doesn't fade out in direct sunlight, it is suppose to work to 2500 yards, and you are suppose to be able to distinguish bullet holes down to .17 caliber with it. I plan on using the .338LM to see how far the system is capable of reaching. If it does 2500 yards, it will surpass the effective range of the .338LM.

All this reminds me of a story a good friend of mine shared with me, about climbing up to some secret mountain lake that had a sunken b17 or b25 in it, and doing a dive in 30 degree water???????????????30 degree water???????????? are you sure, I ask quizically!!!!!!!!!!! yeah, we had a temp gauge and measured it, Oh well I guess if you measured it, it must be true. :roflol: Here is another one, for all you techies!!!!! an AMU gunsmith related this to me just the other day. seems they took a rifle barrel with a very nice crown and shot it and produced a very nice group, then hacksawed the barrel off and filed the muzzle to clean up the "new" crown and subsequently produced an equivalent group,...................so much for NEEDING a _______ degree crown, or custom cut with a lathe to be dead balls perpendicular to the bullets exit.Trapr

http://www.nps.gov/lame/historyculture/b29bomber.htm

I've spent alot of time under Lake Mead, but it's never been 30 deg with a C or F.

So one could go shoot a .22LR in a long range match and he is doing it for the challenge? Your logic is lacking. Alas, as they say, it's about the journey, not the destination. I'd rather drive than walk. ;) Next time I'm in Ohio, I'll try to schedule it so that I can attend one of these matches.

You still started a pistol topic in a "precision rifle" forum.

Only cause the ATF said so. I argue anything that can hit at 1000yards is NOT a pistol, no matter what the law says.

Your logic is lacking.

LOL

What's lacking in my logic? Your logic said it couldn't be done. But, we know the gun will properly stabilize the bullet. It will spit it out of the barrel at a velocity needed. The bullet flys well. And, the Remy and Savage triggers and actions aren't exactly new and unproven.

Every setup will have it's limitations.

The real challenge here is in the delivery.

Sounds like too much of a challenge for ya. sight.gif

roflol.gif

Bobby,

I've never really tried shooting long range with one of these pistol setups either. But, it's not about me. And, I am pretty sure I didn't start the thread asking what 'Bobby thought was practical'. (In case there is a reading comprehension problem. ;) )

It's a cool setup and a cool challenge.

I remember a thread on here from just a year and a half ago...asking if folks were "really shooting at 1,000y?"

Now we have one where folks are really shooting at Long Range...with a pistol.

Cool challenge. Probably not for everybody.

Bobby,

But, it's not about me. And, I am pretty sure I didn't start the thread asking what 'Bobby thought was practical'. (In case there is a reading comprehension problem. ;) )

That's the beauty of a website set up to share information and promote the shooting sports that allows open memberships. You don't have to ask someone for their opinion, they are allowed to give it as long as it does not violate any of the forum guidelines.

I'll just go back to my dealer forum and keep the information/experience I have to myself until someone asks for it. B)

That's the beauty of a website set up to share information...

If you have some experience with these setups, by all means...share it! Dispense with all that "can't do"...these guys are doing it. I guess they didn't get the memo that it wasn't doable.

... and promote the shooting sports...

That is the reason I started the thread. Here is a whole 'nother kind of shooting challenge!

How about you talk on the ballistics of that 6.5 mm 139-gr Lapua Scenar at 2550fps? That would make for a good contribution to the knowledge base.