Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you shoot long range for the challenge, then why not...

Flexmoney

Let me repeat myself in case there is a reading comprehension issue.

I just prefer my long range rigs have a butt stock on them. Pistols are for fighting my way back to my rifle.

When I shoot long range, I do it for training. I enjoy that training.

Larry Weishun likes to hunt with a pistol, more power to him. Dale likes to shoot steel with a pistol, more power to him also. I like hunting and shooting long range steel with a rifle. I am a practical marksman. Part of that is knowing how to select the correct tool for the job. Can you hammer a screw into a board? Sure, but I prefer using my Hitachi impact driver. Keep hammering all you want, my eyes have been opened to better tools more suited for the job.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this reminds me of a story a good friend of mine shared with me, about climbing up to some secret mountain lake that had a sunken b17 or b25 in it, and doing a dive in 30 degree water???????????????

Trapr,

Maybe that was with wind chill ??!! roflol.gif

Can you hammer a screw into a board? Sure, but I prefer using my Hitachi impact driver.

You are just gonna strip it with all that torque.

Considering my previous occupation, I've driven hundreds of thousands of screws from 1" to 3" using my impact driver and have yet to have an issue. The key is to use a #2 square head screw and not a phillips. The benefit of an impact driver is how it handles torque, which is very different than a conventional screw driver. It would be easier to strip the head on a screw with a drill than an impact driver.

Maybe Kyle will post my two rear grip gun's when he has a chance . COME ON IN AND GET YOUR FEET WET,its fun , it make's you giggle like a school girl when you hit something and 3 seconds or so later your hear the CLANG or clang as it my be !!!!

Dale

Those gun pics must be on the other computer. I'll see if I can dig them up. I did find these...

post-690-1268676099_thumb.jpg

post-690-126867611211_thumb.jpg

Can anyone in this schoolyard tell me what magnification the scopes are on those two pistols? I have pretty much zero long range experience but knowing what an 18" plate looks like at 300 in a 10X makes me wonder what guys are using for this. They appear to be Burris but I can't see the model or power.

Thanks,

They are Burris 3x12 B-Plex LER , I use the 2x8 Leupold Vari-X-3 with a 2.5x or 3x Davis optic booster , I'm going to try a rifle scope in the near future. We just don't have many choices in the Pistol scope line .

Dale

OK, just for fun I ran a 220gr RN at 825fps with a .180 BC and 25yd zero and at 800 yards here is the drop in inches and MOA.

Distance Inches MOA

800yds -2168.84 -250.89

You are losing better than 10 MOA (100") every 25 yards at this distance so figure at 1000yds you will be at least 340 MOA or 3400 inches low. Probably a good bit more.

Hope this helps ;)

JBM calculates the max range for a Winchester 230 ball 45 ACP at 1783.3 yds. If fired at @ 32.5 degree angle.

Back on subject. I like to play around and try odd stuff as much as the next guy....but when it comes down to getting the job done....I'm with Kgunz.....get the right equipment.

Yes the balistic data for my 178 Amax 308 load shows I can go 1200+ yards. But if I need to go that far I probably need to call for artilary :goof:

Hi Flexmoney, those two pistols in those first pictures happen to be mine. Ask Dale about how his and my pistols did today on the plates out to 800. I don't think our lil 260's have anything to be ashamed of. As for right tool for right job, they will definately do it. I don't feel we are hindered at all, we'll be very competitive this year. I can see why someone that has not been around them being skeptical but they still amaze us everytime we stretch them out.

Topstrap

Topstrap,

Glad to hear your range day went well.

I was trying to head that way to look over your shoulder, but had a dryer break (belt) and an order come in that I need to see to before heading that direction.

How did the mount work out?

They did well, not exactly like I hoped but I think with our short barrels and the trajectory at the closer targets out to 400 yards the calculations don't work out as good as they do on a rifle. But once I got each distance set it drilled them. You take the scope off to set the presets, I know I had it off and on at least 25 times today making adjustments and it went right back perfectly. Was really amazed. Once I got further out the calculations with the dial indicator were very close. Made a few first round hits on the 640, 700 and I think possibly the 800 yard targets with calculations. Tweaked a bit and even the lil 8"x14" mini IPSC target at 800 was an easy hit as long as we paid attention to the wind flag.

Dales guns did great also, his Striker was on as usual and his XP with the rifle scope worked far better than he hoped. Lots of first round hits using the dots in the scope. Will try to get another day in maybe next week before the match for final tweaking but if we miss any of the 15" plates it'll be because of misreading wind or doing something dumb. They shot excellent today.

I didn't post what me and Dale are doing to get into any arguments or debates on our use of them but just to show that it can be done and isn't beyond the capabilities with a bit of work and practice.

There are fellas out west that are into bigger calibers with much longer barrels and higher end rifle scopes with special benchrest style stocks and rests on a Speciality Pistol action that are shooting much further than us. I think they are shooting out past 1400 yards and doing quite well.

You should try to sneak over next time Flexmoney and try one of these things out.

Topstrap

Edited by Topstrap1

I think a couple of fellas on Speciality Pistol have competed in it. I think they finished 12th last year. That is too far away for us and we really aren't into the tactical end of it. We enjoy shooting the extreme distances and it usually ends up that the only place we can shoot the steel plates is at a tactical rifle plate match. We don't even try to pretend we're able to do what the guys do at the real tactical matches. Both of mine are single shots and I'd never be able to get off multiple shots in their time limits. Luckily they let us shoot with them and hopefully we'll get to try out a couple more long range plate matches.

An update: we did get to go to the 800 yard range last Wednesday and try the new mounts out. Made some first shot hits at 640, 720 and I think 800 with presetting the mount positions with the dial indicator I think it's going to work great. I had trouble with closer targets and the presets until I realized the 10 positon mount takes a calculation to get the correct reading on the dial indicator and the 5 position don't so that messed me up for a bit. Going out again tomorrow to fine tune and double check before the match on Sunday. After getting the settings right we really didn't have any problems with any of the targets out thru 800 including the mini IPSC 8" x 14" plate at 800 yards.

Dale's rifle scope on his XP worked far better than he hoped and was ringing everything. Looks like he'll keep the rifle guys on their toes for sure. Should be a fun match this Sunday and hopefully we'll all be ready.

Topstrap

I've shot the ITRC. I just thought you guys may want to also. I remember a team using a pistol last year. Unless you had a break open I dont think a ss bolt action would be a real disadvantage.

• 3 weeks later...