Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 220gr. 1.22 oal need a gun that will chamber this

twally

Not 100% sure but I would bet that the majority of all bbls we typically use can be freebored to accept a long load like that.

The other factor is the dims of the magazines you're using. Some mags won't work with such a long load while others will have no issue.

Brazos freebores his chambers to work with loads up to 1.250"

My Schuemann Ultimatch barrel will chamber 1.25" loads all day long. I think it'll go out to 1.3.

I'd start to wonder if rounds at 1.3" would be binding at all in the mags...

My Schuemann Ultimatch barrel will chamber 1.25" loads all day long. I think it'll go out to 1.3.

I'd start to wonder if rounds at 1.3" would be binding at all in the mags...

Probably so. I've never actually loaded anything longer that 1.25.

Can anyone tell me who makes a .40 that will chamber a load that is 1.22 oal? I have a SA xdm that is way too short to chamber this load.

Thank's Wally

Not to drift off topic too much, but who makes 220gr .40 buttets?

STI Edge. I load mine 1.200 another .002 shouldn't be an issue. A friend of mine shoots 220's and he says it don't move out of the A-Zone.

It's actually another .02, but most stock STI barrels should go well past that. I've loaded as long as 1.260" just to see if it would work...ran fine in both the Edge and Trojan.

If the front sight doesn't leave the A-zone at any reasonable distance, your buddy is shooting sub-minor ;)

If the bullet is a RN or semi-pointed RN, my Para will feed them from the magazine at 1.265" or so.. I've been long loading my 185 RN's to 1.260" and my Swaged 195 hp's to 1.265".If it is a truncated cone, you may be running out of room in the rifling. Bear creek 180 and 200 truncated cone bullets have this issue and I have to limit them to 1.190" otherwise they engage the rifling and will sometimes stay in the barrel when I try to rack them out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The magazine is the limiting factor on the XDM. The maximum length I could get to feed out of the magazines was 1.140". I decided just to go ahead and shorten them even further to 1.130" just to make sure none of them were dragging on the mag tube.

Not to drift off topic too much, but who makes 220gr .40 buttets?

I cast a 225gr SWC for the .40 S&W/10mm Auto. With alloy selection I can vary weight from 215gr to 230gr.

Edited by freakshow10mm

Can anyone tell me who makes a .40 that will chamber a load that is 1.22 oal? I have a SA xdm that is way too short to chamber this load.

Thank's Wally

Those will shoot out of my S&W 610 no problem!

All of my SVIs will chamber loads up to 1,260" without a glitch...and they even won't rattle inside the mags!

Edited by Canuck63