Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Glide on sear

kildar

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=255&view=findpost&p=17841

Paul,

Ok, you got me on the hammer hooks. It's OK to use it there; however, after a days worth of testing with every grease/lube imaginable, I've found the best thing for hammer hooks is what I call "Chippylube." It's a moly based grease, I think it's sold as Trigger Slick. It is made by Chip McCormick, hence the name. For that particular application, it is the best there is. The reason is, (if you are familiar with the inner workings of the 1911 style action,) the sear actually pushes the grease back into the hammer hooks everytime the gun fires/cycles. Slide-Glide is not made for a "shearing" application, it is made for rotating or cycling parts - because of it's stringy characteristic, it drags itself back into these areas. In top end applications, the chippylube "pushes out" quite quickly.

Now, you may never notice any difference between SG and CL when you use them on your sear/hammer. Probably, you will not. The only reason I went to the trouble to clarify is that I'm very sensitive to trigger pull, and being the fanatical type, I always want to know what is the absolute best. Also, I was testing on a 1 lb. trigger, and the difference was only an ounce or two, so with a heavier trigger, it's probably not worth messing with. (Like an ounce or two is worth messing with anyway.)

be

Haven't tried slide-glide on my hammer hook/sear engagement but this is what I have been using and it works good:

http://www.gunbutter.com/?page_id=31

Give slide-glide a try and let us know the results.

Brian

I love Slide Glide and use it on all my firearms wherever metal meets metal. I've never used it on sears though. What is the opinion on using Slide Glide Light on sears?

It would be great if Trigger Slick is the same thing as Chip lube. This is 1/3 of my remaining hoard:

post-354-12684357495_thumb.jpg

I've also used Slide Glide but as Brian says, it doesn't re-flow back onto the sear after many pulls of the trigger. Feels fantastic right after you put it on, lasts for about one match anyway.

Well, I tried it on my Gold Cups' sear and it seems to make for a nice crisp break. I'll shoot it at my next match and see how it holds up. I'm much more skeptical though now after reading about the testing done by BE.