Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FNH USA Midwest 3-Gun Championships

Great match and a great squad to shoot on. I learned a lot from everyone there. I thought the RO's overall did an excellent job. I felt terrible on Stage #3 when I found that one of the RO's had to reset one side of the stage by himself when four of us reset the other side of the stage. We were only 8 people on our squad at that point and the rotation had taken all of the resetters from that side of the stage. Sorry guys! Since I figured I wouldn't be the best shooter in the match, my goal was to be on a squad that was known to be the best/quickest resetters.

I didn't like stage 10 only because I sucked it up big time on that one. I do see where painting the steel would have been hard since the mud would have covered the paint anyway, but maybe the stands could have been painted a contrasting color or ribbons tied on them? Just a thought.

I had a blast on stage 6 and found myself too stupid to have figured out a way to game it. I don't think I would have done so anyway only because I was looking forward to shooting the long range targets. Whether "gaming" is legal or not should be left up to the shooter in my opinion. Stage design should be the controlling factor in this.

The FN crew, Ken Flood and his crew, and Jeff and John Overstreet and their families should be given a good round of applause. After dealing with the challenges thrown at them due to the weather, I think it was a job well done.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Below is a link to my video of the match including the shoot off with Rob & Kurt, Rob & Glenn and Rob & Taran.

The video itself is a departure from our normal style. It is free from background music, any effects and is simply Rob in his element. In honor of Rob's accomplishment I thought it was best to highlight his performance from this past weekend.

I know that Tod & I could not have been more happy for Rob this past weekend. Since I have known him, he is one of the hardest working shooters in our sport, if not the hardest worker. Without his tutelage I would still be loading a shotgun one round at a time from a dump pouch.

I know that I speak for everyone when I say, congrats, you earned it.

Enjoy it.

That's just badass cool. Congratulations Rob :cheers:

A few random thoughts from this last weekend.

First all Redneck Tactical instructors "advocate" clearing the firearm to empty on abandonment at EVERY match...we all have seen way too many folks get "the ride" for a safety bumped off by the box or barrel...so Abrn-Rngr..."weallz sayin the same thang" and this is driven home to any and all of our students...Side note: 343 isn't just a student he is a moon-shine drinking amigo and came 3rd in Tac Iron for his first ever big 3-gun! So stand back!

FNH did a whale amount of work to give us all a good time and I would say they did it in spades! Sure a few glitches surfaced but come on now...you all saw the conditions and after about 150 shooter run through these here long stages I don't think many of us could have kept straight all the rules and penalties so have a cold one and we will try to do better next time.

Two funniest comments of the match...the first from Jesse...when he came up to stage two to see the Miller boys flail around; after my abysmal run we were walking back with the R.O.s and he says to the R.O......so how are the really good shooters doing here? I liked to spry water out of my nose!! ( Jesse is a charter student of the Redneck Tactical Association and a true amigo) Second was when one of the F.N. shotguns went single shot on me during the shoot off ( And GET THIS RIGHT it made no difference in the out come!!) and I was told by one of the F.N. folks that I needed to learn how to hold a shotgun right....that was worth $235.00 right there.

Proudest/happiest moments...watching Rob win the 3-Gun Nation shoot off! Mike Pinto win Tac Iron! And watching Jesse passing on weak hand loading techniques in the parking lot and doing it perfect!

Kurt....I didn't say you needed to learn how to shoot a shotgun right, it was "you need to learn how to shoot a real shotgun". Then that was closely followed by "Grip it and Rip it!" Of course I said it with a smaile on my face!

Not to beat Kurt up but we do see this when someone is shooting our gun vs a competitor's gun due to different types of cycling. Our SLP's, hold them tight to the shoulder and pull the trigger as fast as you can move the gun. You will not out run it! If you grab the competitor's gun in this fashion it is my understanding from several shooters, that will cause that particular manufacturer to jamb.

Great job to all despite the terrible track condition everyone had to deal with!

Larry

Edited by sbmd

NOTE: Larry and I are friends and the next comment is ment in fun, so please keep the welding torches off!

Larry..... I will remember that the next time I get hold of an 870 ;)

Any firearm can and will jam, My ------ failed to drop one on the carrier on stage 9 and I had to do the same thing I did in the shoot-off so I am not picking on FN. Notice also that I did say "how to hold a shotgun" not shoot it. Final thing, maybe some can hold ------- shotguns too tight, but mine will run with the butt held on a tree, and as My mentor Larry says....GRIP IT AND RIP IT, it was all a blast! KurtM

Thank You FN and sponsors for a great match. Sometimes stages have obstacles placed in them to challenge the shooter, the mud was just another obstacle to overcome. I liked that the small shotgun steel was dummy corded on stage 7. I'm in agreement with Brian Payne and some high viz trail marking tape tied to the stands would have been just the ticket. Painting wet mud covered plates would have been next to imposible and I didn't have a problem shooting them after I was able to locate them.

I have not shot many major matches but must say that I personally found this match to be technically difficult. Handgun and shotgun steel were small and required precision. The swinging platform on stage 3 had me spooked but as luck would have it I got to shoot it 2 times. My first run was great but the timer failed. My second run was a little slower with a couple more follow up shots but hey, its better than a dq.

My squad was great and I enjoyed shooting with those I had never met before. I learned from watching all of you. It was a pleasure, Odie, Tim, John, Dave, Jomar, Brian, JJ, and Patrick.

It was also nice to meet so many others that I spoke to over the weekend. Everyone stay safe out there.

I shot in Tac Iron. Congratulations to Mike Pinto and all the other Iron shooters both Tactical and Heavy, Ours as expected was that much more difficult from the visual aspect of things.

Jay

NOTE: Larry and I are friends and the next comment is ment in fun, so please keep the welding torches off!

Any firearm can and will jam, My ------ failed to drop one on the carrier on stage 9 and I had to do the same thing I did in the shoot-off so I am not picking on FN. Notice also that I did say "how to hold a shotgun" not shoot it. Final thing, maybe some can hold ------- shotguns too tight, but mine will run with the butt held on a tree, and as My mentor Larry says....GRIP IT AND RIP IT, it was all a blast! KurtM

Kurt, I am glad somene has finally recognized my skills (few as there are).....what is funny, you say about the tree and that is the anology that someone used that their ______ shotgun will not run by doing that way! I hope when you shoot your 870, you don't fire one round and expect something to happen when you pull the trigger the second time without moving something. I guess that was really bad timing for your shotgun not to drop one on the carrier...yikes! It was actually fun giving you and Mike a hard time.....and point in case for others, like you said it was all in fun and that is exactly what it was FUN! We need more of that in our sport as it grows!

Congrats to you and Mike for making the shoot offs, hopefully someday I can be there actually shooting and not being your caddy!

Hey, I think I might just start offering that service at a major match.....carry the gun bags and prepare everything change chokes, wipe down before and after the run...load mags, help with analyzing the course of fire------am I on to something here? Would someone actually pay for that?

Larry

Larry..... I will remember that the next time I get hold of an 870 wink.gif

Kurt, I am glad somene has finally recognized my skills (few as there are).....what is funny, you say about the tree and that is the anology that someone used that their ______ shotgun will not run by doing that way! I hope when you shoot your 870, you don't fire one round and expect something to happen when you pull the trigger the second time without moving something. I guess that was really bad timing for your shotgun not to drop one on the carrier...yikes! It was actually fun giving you and Mike a hard time.....and point in case for others, like you said it was all in fun and that is exactly what it was FUN! We need more of that in our sport as it grows!

Congrats to you and Mike for making the shoot offs, hopefully someday I can be there actually shooting and not being your caddy!

Hey, I think I might just start offering that service at a major match.....carry the gun bags and prepare everything change chokes, wipe down before and after the run...load mags, help with analyzing the course of fire------am I on to something here? Would someone actually pay for that?

Larry

You may be onto someting.....I can see it now. Kurt tells Larry "I think Im going to need the IC for this stage". Larry says "I would stick with MOD". Picture that conversation on the old golf course at BRM3G. roflol.gif

Larry

Yes please!

Edited by jtischauser

OK...did anyone have as much trouble with the small plates as I did?!?!? So to help remedy that, we are going to have a short sale on these. We'll be selling six (6) 5" round plates and six stands for $200. On the six stands you get three (3) that are 2' long and three (3) that are 3' long. If you have any questions give us a call on our toll free number at 888.767.7371 or e mail Kevin at kevin@mgmtargets.com

Adios,

TG

Looked like a great match, wish I could be there ...

Congrats to Mr. Pinto on Tac Irons !! :cheers:

I was watching one of Jesses' videos and was just wondering what was that

black can thing on top of Kurtms' rifle ?? :unsure:

Travis, I feel your pain buddy. Expect a call! :)

Mike

+1

Ah yeah! I couldn't hit those little moth*&^u#$%#er's either. After missing a total of about 10 times on stage one and two I switched to my full choke and on stage 3 and got two doubles. :surprise:

I think the LM was shooting a litle higher than my POA and the pattern just wasn't dense enough 4" off the stand to hit them. Of course I was trying to shoot as fast as Jerry was so that may have played a part in it too.

I will be contacting you shortly as well. If you can run those little plates without missing the big ones are going to be like shooting clays on a stick.

Edited by jtischauser

OK...did anyone have as much trouble with the small plates as I did?!?!? So to help remedy that, we are going to have a short sale on these. We'll be selling six (6) 5" round plates and six stands for $200. On the six stands you get three (3) that are 2' long and three (3) that are 3' long. If you have any questions give us a call on our toll free number at 888.767.7371 or e mail Kevin at kevin@mgmtargets.com

Adios,

TG

do they come with Missouri mud on them to complete the simulation of problems...?

Question for those in attendance in light of MGM's sale on the little plates and my previous post earlier today!

How technically difficult was this match compared to others?

I have only shot DPMS prior to this match. So with what little I have to compare with, FN left me with a feeling of being very technical in requiring great precision with both all 3 guns. Did I mention I think this match ROCKED.

Opinions are appreciated

Jay

Jay, in my opinion, and I have very limited experience as well, it seems each match has it's own "thing". Rocky Mountain is all about long range rifle with a crazy big shotgun stage and some fairly technical pistol. Mesa is a lot of run and gun with very little long range rifle, not very technical pistol, and some long range shotgun slugs mixed with a lot of shotgun in the stages. I hear benning is very technical. I will be able to tell you after the first week of December.

Great shooting this past weekend. It was great talking with you and I hope to see you in Raton.

Mike

Adios,

TG

do they come with Missouri mud on them to complete the simulation of problems...?

I brought plenty home with me, but the reapplication is the hard part laugh.gif

Adios,

TG

Question for those in attendance in light of MGM's sale on the little plates and my previous post earlier today!

How technically difficult was this match compared to others?

I have only shot DPMS prior to this match. So with what little I have to compare with, FN left me with a feeling of being very technical in requiring great precision with both all 3 guns. Did I mention I think this match ROCKED.

Opinions are appreciated

Jay

Good meeting you Jay. And congrats on your place of finish.

I also shot irons for the 2nd time in 3 years attending this match. Much easier with an optic, especially if shooting with a crosswind. As for technical, it's much better this year than especially last year where the small plates would spin without falling if not hit square. The plates fell if you hit them, at least what I thought so. No shoots plates around the shotgun plates are becoming more common.

This year, other than the crossing birds on Stage 6, the mud was the biggest challenge. I do think small plates in the woods should at least have contrasting color stands as they were almost impossible to see in the early AM (and most likely late PM)before the sun lit up the woods. But other matches have had the same issue.

BRM3G required more precision with many longer rifle shots and several long slug shots. Even some pistol shots were long by usual standards. And was on more physical terrain.

Stage wise, I think this was one of the most fun FNH matches and would have loved it without the mud issue. More rifle targets would have been appreciated also but when you cut out the paper, the hoser rifle stages disappear too. I understand the intent and it makes sense. I just like a blaster rifle stage in the mix.

Come shoot the Adams Arms 3 Gun in Sept. It's a fun match also and all natural terrain.

Craig

Scores are posted on http://www.midwest3gun.com/

or for those too lazy to do that:

Open 2010

Tactical Optics Heavy 2010

Tactical Optics 2010

Tactical Iron 2010

All 2010

Let's see how that works...

Steve

So are those with or without stage four in them? I heard it got thrown out. Is that the case? Just trying to figure out where I would have been if that stage was kept.

Adios,

TG