Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 on the way

After 14 years of loading on a Suare Deal I have a 650 on the way. It was not a bad 14 years and I could never justify buying the 650 until now. I just have to decide if I keep the SD as a back up or sell to recoup some funds.

I am sure I will be needing you guys, or the search function, if I run into any problems. This now takes away my excuse that I can not shoot because I do not have any ammo loaded.

I am sure I will type to you later.

Brian

Brian,

The "Square Deal B" works well for what it is designed to do. The Dillon 650 is an awesome machine compared to what you have been used to using especially if you have ordered the case feeder. Comparing the SDB to the 650 is like the difference between a '73 Chevy Vega and a 2010 Corvette. You may find that you may never use the SDB again after having the 650 for a while. If that's the case then sell it. As you know, the dies on the SDB are proprietary to the SDB only. Changing calibers with the 650 allows you to use any 7/8-14 threaded die sold. Buy a die head for each caliber that you will reload for. The overall size difference between the two is night and day. With the 650 and a case feeder you may find it to rival your height. The 650 also has the ability to load rifle cartridges which was a big downside to the SDB besides that proprietary dies. With that being said;

SUMMARY:

- Hold onto the SDB and see if you continue to use it. If not, sell it.

- The 650 is much more versatile in it's ability to load anything you want.

- The 650 can use any 7/8-14 threaded die.

- With a case feeder, the 650 is going to load so fast it will amaze you and that = more free time to shoot :)

- The 650 is just awesome to look at compared to the SDB.

I am sure I will be needing you guys,

Brian

It's nice to know we are needed. :roflol:

You are following the same path I did many years ago. The SD was set aside while the 650 was the work horse. Not being aware how quick the 650 was compared to the SD I would load for an evening and have enough ammo that by the time I needed more I had to get familiar with the 650 again. Didn't shoot as much as I do now. Your SD will get sold several months from now. You won't see any need for it once you get used to the 650. :cheers:

CYa,

Pat

Well I got it set up yesterday. Didn't take that long and I cranked out 100 rounds in less than 10 minutes. I am very happy with it. In the initial run there were 2 times that a case wasn't inserted into the shellplate. I just picked up the primers and put them back in the tube. I did notice that even taking my time that this press does throw powder, not a whole lot but it is noticeable after a few cases. It also likes to send primers everywhere, I will figure out where they are coming out from and figure out a way to minimize it.

I could not believe how much smoother the entire process was. I never had a problem with the SDB's feel but they are totally different.

There are fixes for both of the problems you mentioned on this forum. Just do a search for them by title. You'll find a wealth of info here, not to mention Dillon who posts here works there (for Dillon) and always around to with solutions for the difficult problems.

Welcome,

Granderojo